Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flying out of Newark question
Quote | Reply
I will be in a meeting until 12:30pm (it will be a Thursday afternoon) then will hop in a taxi and get dropped off at Newark (assuming standard traffic) that ride should take 35 minutes.

There is a flight at 2:20pm.

I have no idea how long it takes to clear customs and security to fly to Canada.

Is there any chance I can make that flight? Next one is at 6 pm which I don't really want to wait for.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Flying out of Newark question [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say do it. I haven't flown out of Newark, but my experience flying international is that it is the same as flying domestic at the departure point. It is clearing customs when you arrive that takes the extra time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where exactly is your meeting?

Lincoln and Holland tunnel traffic shouldn't be too bad at that time, so your 35 minute estimate is probably about right. If you are promptly out of the meeting and in a cab by 12.40 you should be at the airport by 1.30 latest. A more guaranteed alternative is a train to EWR from Penn Station. Many trains stop there and it's a 15 min train journey. Once at EWR you ride the sky-train monorail from the train station to your terminal. Security is now much better after significant upgrades recently. If you're TSA Pre-approved (not sure if Canadians can be) then it will be even faster. Thursday afternoon is not a super busy time for the airport. So, yes, I would go for it but don't let the meeting run on.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying out of Newark question [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is all moot. I have found a flight out at 3:45. Rather than play the flight game-of-chance I will take that one.

Thanks anyway.

Quote Reply
Re: Flying out of Newark question [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Where exactly is your meeting?

Lincoln and Holland tunnel traffic shouldn't be too bad at that time, so your 35 minute estimate is probably about right. If you are promptly out of the meeting and in a cab by 12.40 you should be at the airport by 1.30 latest. A more guaranteed alternative is a train to EWR from Penn Station. Many trains stop there and it's a 15 min train journey. Once at EWR you ride the sky-train monorail from the train station to your terminal. Security is now much better after significant upgrades recently. If you're TSA Pre-approved (not sure if Canadians can be) then it will be even faster. Thursday afternoon is not a super busy time for the airport. So, yes, I would go for it but don't let the meeting run on.

They have the TS-Eh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just tell them you're actually an American so fed up with Trump and the US you're moving to Canada. You'll be on the next flight out no charge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
This is all moot. I have found a flight out at 3:45. Rather than play the flight game-of-chance I will take that one.

Thanks anyway.

Take an uber not a taxi

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Flying out of Newark question [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Thanks anyway.

Take an uber not a taxi

I don't want to be sexually assaulted.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a real concern, as shown in this picture of a Newark Uber driver.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is said meeting in NYC I assume?

Go to Penn Station. 20 minutes on NJ Transit train plus 2-3 on the monorail to the airport. Thursday afternoon there's a train every 20 minutes or so that stops at EWR. I ride that route to/from the city everyday. No taxis, no traffic through Lincoln or Holland, or the stupid exits off the Turnpike to the airport. Thursday's at the airport are pretty busy, but not really for international flights, so time should be fine.

If there's a guy on your train looking very tired carrying a briefcase and drinking a large can of Budweiser, that's probably me.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
veganerd wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Thanks anyway.

Take an uber not a taxi

I just spent a week in nyc. Taxi drivers are assholes. They seem responsible for much of the traffic jams.

I saw one stop in the middle lane on the brooklyn bridge to try and start a fight with another driver who had the audacity to honk at the taxi for cutting him off.

My uber drivers were mostly fantastic

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
veganerd wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Thanks anyway.

Take an uber not a taxi

Stop dressing so provocatively.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Flying out of Newark question [Tatonka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tatonka wrote:
Is said meeting in NYC I assume?

Go to Penn Station. 20 minutes on NJ Transit train plus 2-3 on the monorail to the airport. Thursday afternoon there's a train every 20 minutes or so that stops at EWR. I ride that route to/from the city everyday. No taxis, no traffic through Lincoln or Holland, or the stupid exits off the Turnpike to the airport. Thursday's at the airport are pretty busy, but not really for international flights, so time should be fine.

If there's a guy on your train looking very tired carrying a briefcase and drinking a large can of Budweiser, that's probably me.

Not going into NYC. Woodcliff Lake.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahhh... then I'd Uber or cab. Uber is probably faster. That time of day though, Parkway to 78, get there in no time.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pro tip: say allahu akbar to TSA as often as possible. That roughly translated in Newark means "I'm late for my flight hurry please ". Should get you to the head of the security line.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply