Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Light Tribike
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone. Does anyone have an example of a good aero and light tribike. I have a shiv and with wheels and everything it is 21 pounds. I am thinking of building up a new bike. I would like to build up a bike under 15 pounds. Any examples out there. Before the trolls go wild I know weight loss of the person is the cheapest and easiest. I am muscular and getting to the point that a lot more body fat is not likely. Most courses are hilly and if I could find a build with significant weight reduction it might be worth it! I was thinking of a Dimond. I like the p5x but it comes in at 22 pounds built up.

Please post if you have any aero/light examples

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Light Tribike [Triben32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not, but part of this post is to see what others have to add. I built a light road bike, and it is hard to get below 15 lbs on a road bike. It would be very hard with a tri bike when you want bigger aero tubes, the heavier cockpit (because of its size), and aero wheels. I’m guessing you best case scenario on a tri bike is more on the order of 17 to 18 lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Larger the size of the bike, the heavier it is. How large of a bike do you ride? More frame material on a bike, the heavier it will be. Each manufacture does not exactly use the same size frame when posting how heavy it is. As for aero, you the rider present like 80+% of the drag forces. How is your bike fit? If lightness if the key, look for skinny looking frames-Slice/Canyon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I predict that if you succeed in constructing a 15 lb tri bike you are going to be very disappointed in the speed gains if there are any...more likely you'll be slower on the lighter/less aero bike even on a hilly course...You are going to have to trade off aero gains in order to cut weight. How much do you weigh? You could monkey around with this site if you wanted:

http://www.analyticcycling.com/...LessWeight_Page.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go to http://weightweenies.starbike.com/ and ask around there, can probably help out more, repeating what’s been said going to be very difficult. And the wheel discussion pertaining to your request is a whole other topic..do you have a budget?
Last edited by: mike s: Sep 27, 17 19:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a tall task. Depending on how much you're willing to spend, I would go with the following build:
  • Shiv TT Module
  • Dash saddle/post combo
  • Roval CLX 50 front, disc rear (soon to be released or you could pick up Dash's new disc wheel)
  • Custom Fiberlyte direct mount 1x chainring (they'll do it)
  • SRAM XG-1190 cassette
  • Sram Force 1 rear cassette

I'd imagine that build would come in around 15lbs in a size medium and it would still be pretty darn aero.

Edit: here's a size small Orbea Ordu built up similarly to what I suggested above. 15.5lbs
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Sep 27, 17 19:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I am experimenting with my Cannondale Slice Hi-Mod for my next race and have incorporated a 1X system which has a 46 tooth chainring and an 11-32 tooth cassette. Whilst not motivated to save weight only, the end product with deep dish wheels comes in at just 16lbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Light Tribike [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a sweet build. SRAM mechanical for components then, if you're going 1x?
Quote Reply
Re: Light Tribike [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Light Tribike [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Size 56. I had not looked into the slice or canyon yet. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Light Tribike [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
185. Thanks I want to keep it aero for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Light Tribike [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will check out that site. Thanks. Looks like to get very light it will have to be north or 10,000 or even higher. Let might get too rich for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great thanks for the example! I am a big fan of specialized! I have a tarmac and the shiv! I did not realize the tt was that light. So you think the aero loss going from the shiv to the shiv TT would off set the weight change?
Quote Reply
Re: Light Tribike [monsrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Light Tribike [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
That sounds like a sweet build. SRAM mechanical for components then, if you're going 1x?

I'm not a big fan of SRAM components but they are light and in the case of the xg-1190 cassette, expensive. I would have gone with Dura Ace cassette but they don't do an 11-32t and the Ultegra version is 100g heavier. RD is DA9100 and shifter is Microshift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
That's a tall task. Depending on how much you're willing to spend, I would go with the following build:
  • Shiv TT Module
  • Dash saddle/post combo
  • Roval CLX 50 front, disc rear (soon to be released or you could pick up Dash's new disc wheel)
  • Custom Fiberlyte direct mount 1x chainring (they'll do it)
  • SRAM XG-1190 cassette
  • Sram Force 1 rear cassette

Greenplease, how is your Fiberlyte chainring? Do you have any problems with the chain coming off? How durable is it?

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Light Tribike [monsrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No offense, but I was replying to the hypothetical shiv tt build, not your slice. It is a nice setup you have though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW the Quintana Roo PR6 frame is claimed to be extremely light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your priorities need to be:
Fit (getting you into fastest possible position)
Aerodynamics (kind of the point of the bike)
Weight (as you've asked)

I'd add durability as a honourable mention.
Fortunately it's possible to balance all those factors pretty well. I'd suggest not trying to save weight on shift components as you spend a lot for very little gain.
Cranks, wheels, bars are the components that can get really chunky. For a tri bike you'll need to pay attention to everything
Bars are tricky - usually lower weight means less adjustability - which can be fine if you know your position precisely, not so good if you need tilt or a specific setup - so you may have to make concessions there (because bars are about priority 1 and 2)

I built a 56 P3 and weighed as I went recently. I've added the changes I'd look at making if trying to get it lighter
I prefer not to save weight on consumables as it just means it costs more to keep running, but a 9000 cassette is a good weight saving for race wheels

I'd need to check on true weights before purchasing if I was doing it. And add pedals, cages etc
More could be saved on wheels but don't compromise aero or braking.
I'd expect the paint on a P3 to be closer to 400g than 300g, so stripping then clearcoating would save a lot and give you something unique (with no warranty)
Possible to save quite a bit on the bars - Tririg alpha X supposed to be ~650g (stem incl) but the fit range is quite specific so that may not be an option (an easy 200g loss if it is)
have a look at the project liberty write up on tririg for ideas.

You not going to get a really light beam bike. I'd start with Cervelo, QR or Orbea for this kind of project. That way you can build up something that doesn't have compromises (bad brakes, painful bars, hard to travel with etc).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triben32 wrote:
Great thanks for the example! I am a big fan of specialized! I have a tarmac and the shiv! I did not realize the tt was that light. So you think the aero loss going from the shiv to the shiv TT would off set the weight change?

Ceteris Paribus, there's not a huge aero difference between the two frames when tested with a rider on board. You're in the neighborhood of less than 5 seconds over 40k.

https://goo.gl/images/mdsEhU

Weight won't have much of an effect either unless you have some very steep and long hills.
Quote Reply
Re: Light Tribike [JackL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackL wrote:
FWIW the Quintana Roo PR6 frame is claimed to be extremely light.

+1
Then add dash saddle.
Tubulars
Sram etap
1x crankset (so also remove front derailleur)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Parlee TT from around 2011, frame is ridiculously light for a tri bike. Bike is 17# something...

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triben32 wrote:
Most courses are hilly and if I could find a build with significant weight reduction it might be worth it!

Thanks

Your search for a light tri bike is based on this false premise. There are very few triathlon courses hilly enough so that bike weight is a real factor. If your priorities are racing Embrunman or Alpe d'Huez then I would say it's worth it. If your goal is racing IM Lake Placid, or even courses with famous climbs on them like Boulder Peak then all tri bikes available are plenty light for you.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply