Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is There ANY US Major Pro Sport That Isn't Involved in Criminality? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
windywave wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Shouldn't the question be whether there's any industry in the US of similar magnitude that isn't involved in criminality?

Why is this criminal? Seriously. OK, I get its against NCAA rules but why is it criminal to give someone money to try and convince them to sign with an sponsor?

Related, I find it hysterical that this gets so much publicity and outrage yet a university (Missouri) can spend 300 grand a year to hire the father of the #1 basketball recruit in the nation.

Because the US attorney indicted them?

I'll have to read more about this. The one article I read was about the USC coach and what described was basically that he accepted money to try and convince a player to sign with an agency. I was somewhat being tongue in cheek because how is this any different than paying a lobbyist.

I'm really interested in the corruption charge since these aren't public officials
Quote Reply
Re: Is There ANY US Major Pro Sport That Isn't Involved in Criminality? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
windywave wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Shouldn't the question be whether there's any industry in the US of similar magnitude that isn't involved in criminality?

Why is this criminal? Seriously. OK, I get its against NCAA rules but why is it criminal to give someone money to try and convince them to sign with an sponsor?

Related, I find it hysterical that this gets so much publicity and outrage yet a university (Missouri) can spend 300 grand a year to hire the father of the #1 basketball recruit in the nation.

Here we go. It seems some legal "experts" are questioning the criminality of the allegations:

https://www.wsj.com/...-theories-1506553296

Link works on my phone but is paywalled on PC.

Like I said above I'm interested in the corruption charges. I admit not being completely up on the Federal criminal code so I'm interested in their theory of the case

ETA. Read the article. Tulane Law has a renowned Sports Law program so the professor probably knows what he's talking about. The article probably crystallized what's been going through my mind about questioning the charges. Interesting if anyone takes a plea.
Last edited by: windywave: Sep 27, 17 18:39
Quote Reply
Re: Is There ANY US Major Pro Sport That Isn't Involved in Criminality? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
windywave wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

I'll have to read more about this. The one article I read was about the USC coach and what described was basically that he accepted money to try and convince a player to sign with an agency. I was somewhat being tongue in cheek because how is this any different than paying a lobbyist.

I'm really interested in the corruption charge since these aren't public officials

Would they be considered public officials if they are working at a state school?

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Is There ANY US Major Pro Sport That Isn't Involved in Criminality? [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
windywave wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

Would they be considered public officials if they are working at a state school?

That's the question. I think it may be the case since you can FOIA coaches emails. The USC guy I'd have a hard time classifying as a government employee via bootstrapping federal loans.
Quote Reply
Re: Is There ANY US Major Pro Sport That Isn't Involved in Criminality? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Down goes Nike.
Quote Reply
Re: Is There ANY US Major Pro Sport That Isn't Involved in Criminality? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Down goes Nike.

Division I college basketball and college football -- aka "the college sports that support the rest of the Division I athletic teams" -- are cesspits of corruption. They ought to just pay those athletes a salary and other perks and just drop the charade, because that's what it is: an act.

One of my colleagues (he's our safety manager) played college ball as a linebacker for Auburn. He's pretty upfront about who on the team was getting paid, how all the athletes were being 'serviced' by more than willing coeds who pretty much volunteered for the honor, how boosters arranged for sham summer jobs, how many academic departments willingly helped with grades, and so forth.

Those two athletic programs are multimillion dollar entities at the big Division I schools -- including holier-than-thou Notre Dame and the "public Ivy League" schools like Michigan and Stanford and such. What a shock that the fish always rots from the head, right? ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply

Prev Next