Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: In defense of free speech... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Or pick a moment where you're done anyway and you can give the middle finger and willingly accept the consequences. Tommie Smith / Juan Carlos.

Or Bobby Martinez...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: In defense of free speech... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
He's making it easy for the courts.

Making what easier for the courts? There's no court case here. Nor it there likely to be one. He hasn't used any governmental authority.

Making it easier for courts to overturn his EO, which purportedly is grounded in his executive authority under the U S Constitution (an amorphous executive power in its own right). There were challenges to the prior two EOs restricting travel, and there likely will be one to this EO. There are certainly plenty of eager plaintiffs out there.

The validity of a law, or in this case EO, often turns on its underlying intent. There's no guesswork with Trump. He states his intent clear as day on twitter and other channels. That's how he makes it easy for the courts. They don't have to look hard or far to discern intent. When his intent is to discriminate against protected classes, which usually is the case, his EO should be invalidated.
Quote Reply
Re: In defense of free speech... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
My attorney has told me that if I ever fire someone it’s best to not give any reason at all. Just tell them that they no longer working for the company.

If asked why, I was advised to just stay silent.

I'm guessing that your average multi-million dollar per year NFL player has a much more robust employment contract than the people that most normal business owners hire. I'm also guessing that it would be REALLY hard to fire an NFL player without paying out the rest of his contract. And even if they could, would you want to release your star player so that your rival team can scoop him up to play against you?

Basically what I'm saying is that I think that actually firing an NFL player for kneeling is fantasy land for Trump and he's either too dumb to realize it or knows that his followers are too dumb.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: In defense of free speech... [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which is why the whole meme of Collin Crackernakacap not getting hired because of his “protest” is another fucking lie.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Which is why the whole meme of Collin Crackernakacap not getting hired because of his “protest” is another fucking lie.

Your statement makes no sense at all. Not hiring somebody who you think will be problematic from a PR standpoint is a WHOLE OTHER THING that trying to fire somebody with a contract for the same reason.

Nice try though.

On the other hand, players who protest may run into difficulties getting another contract, or getting the kind of money they expect when it comes time to renew.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, so they don’t want to fire a player for getting uppity for fear that he’d get snatched up by another team, yet other teams won’t hire an uppity player?

I’m confused.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing that your average multi-million dollar per year NFL player has a much more robust employment contract than the people that most normal business owners hire.

Yeah. I wonder how long the peanut vendor would last if he took a knee during the anthem while selling peanuts...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Wait, so they don’t want to fire a player for getting uppity for fear that he’d get snatched up by another team, yet other teams won’t hire an uppity player?

I’m confused.

My suspicion is that they CAN'T no matter how much they might want to without having to pay off the rest of his salary.

This story though seems to say that they could be fired, but that the backlash would probably be worse if they did.

https://qz.com/1085785/can-nfl-teams-legally-fire-football-players-who-take-the-knee-as-trump-called-for-in-alabama/

Nice use of the word "uppity". Though it seems you left out the companion word that usually goes along with it. Deliberate provocation much?

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My word choices are specific and deliberate.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: In defense of free speech... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I'm guessing that your average multi-million dollar per year NFL player has a much more robust employment contract than the people that most normal business owners hire.

Yeah. I wonder how long the peanut vendor would last if he took a knee during the anthem while selling peanuts...

So brave.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Only Tebow made it into a constant eye-rolling, "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME" spectacle. He's pretty similar to Kap in a lot of ways. Particularly in job status as an NFL player.

No he didn't Tebow would go to the sidelines after a big play and kneel. He didn't put the camera on himself, the networks did. Tebow didn't run to the 50 yard line and kneel.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: In defense of free speech... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

No he didn't Tebow would go to the sidelines after a big play and kneel.

Sideline?

Quote:
He didn't put the camera on himself, the networks did.

Please. That's like saying the networks put the cameras on Kap. Tebow always knew exactly when the cameras were on him. He still wants to be in front of cameras (as an announcer). There are plenty of guys who pray out of public view, or quietly Tebow always wanted to make his piety as public a spectacle as possible.

Quote:
Tebow didn't run to the 50 yard line and kneel.

I don't know about 50 yard-line. But he did pretty much exactly that. He'd pick a moment when he knew all the cameras would be on him, and made a spectacle of his piety.

Last edited by: trail: Sep 27, 17 11:17
Quote Reply
Re: In defense of free speech... [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:

Where am I assuming you are supporting Kap? I am simply further pointing out the hypocrisy of this whole thing.

Whose hypocrisy then? I thought you meant mine.

If you want hypocrisy it's accepting serial wife beaters, etc, on a lot of teams then going into outrage at either Tebow, or some guys linking arms during the national anthem. That's hypocrisy.

Making Tebow out to be some poor victim of "the left" because some people made fun of his silly religious antics is absurd. He's out of football because he sucks at footall. End of story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
orphious wrote:

Where am I assuming you are supporting Kap? I am simply further pointing out the hypocrisy of this whole thing.

If you want hypocrisy it's accepting serial wife beaters, etc, on a lot of teams then going into outrage at either Tebow, or some guys linking arms during the national anthem. That's hypocrisy.

And again:
Making Kapernick out to be some poor victim of "the right" because he knelt during the national anthem is absurd. He's out of football because he sucks at footall. End of story

Not saying its your opinion but its the opinion of many in this argument over the kneeling.
Quote Reply
Re: In defense of free speech... [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
trail wrote:
orphious wrote:

And again:
Making Kapernick out to be some poor victim of "the right" because he knelt during the national anthem is absurd. He's out of football because he sucks at footall. End of story

Not saying its your opinion but its the opinion of many in this argument over the kneeling.

I think it IS because he is kneeling, among other things. But not that he is protesting, it is that it makes him a pain in the ass. No one needs their backup QB to be a pain in the ass.

I think there is a third in the trio. Kaepernick, Tebow, and Manziel all have the same thing going on. They are all probably in the range of 50th best quarterback. All three think they are starter quality. All three either directly or though others agitate to be the starter. All three are a pain in the ass in one form or the other.

Nobody needs shit from their backup QB. Luke McCown is the prototype backup. You never even know he is there. Yeah, he might make a pretty good Verizon ad, but other than that you forget he is even there until you need him.

If Kap didn't protest he would be a pain in the ass some other way. SF wanted him gone before he knelt. It is partly about the protest. But it also is about a list of other things.

If Kap acted like Luke McCown he would still be in the league. As would Tebow and Manziel. They don't. So they aren't.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next