Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saudi Arabia - Women can drive!
Quote | Reply
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-women-drive.html?mcubz=3

Quote Reply
Re: Saudi Arabia - Women can drive! [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-women-drive.html?mcubz=3

As my Grade 8 English teacher beat into me, there is a big difference between 'may drive' and 'can drive'.

Though in all seriousness. Thank allah that the Saudis have finally chosen to enter the 20th Century.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Last edited by: Guffaw: Sep 26, 17 13:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having just got back from Saudi Arabia last night, the question is not "should women be allowed to drive?" but "why on earth would they want to?". I'm fairly well travelled and Saudi has some of the worst driving I've ever seen anywhere in the world. One of the few places where I wouldn't even consider driving myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Saudi Arabia - Women can drive! [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Visited London last summer. Could not get my head around left-side driving. Glad I didn't try it....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can switch between left and right hand driving pretty easily. But in Saudi they've pretty much done away with the use of lanes, indicators or any concept of a safe following distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a regional thing. UaE changes habits through punitive fines. It was as bonkers there when i moved there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Visited London last summer. Could not get my head around left-side driving. Glad I didn't try it....

Actually not that hard. When wife and I visited Australia, before we left she was insisting that I do all the driving knowing that I had lived in the UK for a couple of years. Once we got there she insisted that she try it and then wanted to be the driver the entire time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Having just got back from Saudi Arabia last night, the question is not "should women be allowed to drive?" but "why on earth would they want to?". I'm fairly well travelled and Saudi has some of the worst driving I've ever seen anywhere in the world. One of the few places where I wouldn't even consider driving myself.

Had to go to Riyadh a number of times a few years ago, and couldn't agree more. That place was nuts. Nose position is everything and lines on the road apparently mean absolutely nothing.

Quote | Reply
Huh. Next thing you know fathers will stop murdering their daughters when the get pregnant out of wedlock.

So progressive...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Saudi Arabia - Women can drive! [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About half the taxis there don't seem to have functioning seat belts either, which I found odd given that every modern car comes with them as standard and they're pretty indestructible, so they must be deliberately removed or disabled. Then somebody told me it's because they believe it's God's decision as to whether they die in a car crash or not so there's no point having seat belts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can switch between left and right hand driving pretty easily. But in Saudi they've pretty much done away with the use of lanes, indicators or any concept of a safe following distance.

At least they have lanes. I biked through India and it's madness but it seems to work, I never actually saw an accident in my 6 weeks there. Vietnam is another place where they tend to ignore lanes, particularly on motorbikes. I was in places where the motorbikes line up across both lines of traffic at a traffic light and they face the opposing traffic lined up on the other side. Then, it's a race to see who can get across into their own lane before they crash head on.

In over a year in the Philippines, I never saw a police pull over a car despite seeing infractions constantly. They will stop motorcycles regularly, but car owners are considered wealthy so they leave them alone. In Thailand, the police in Bangkok, are at the major intersections but usually in their little air-conditioned booths watching soap operas.

The regulated traffic where we have designated lanes that people stay in, enforced speed limits and driving rules seems to be exceptions rather than the rule from a world perspective.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
they believe it's God's decision as to whether they die in a car crash or not so there's no point having seat belts.

Have you seen any of the videos of the 'drifting' down the highways? Nuts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:

Whoo-hoo! Maybe in a hundred years the wimmens will even be able to show a little ankle without getting their heads cut off! ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Saudi Arabia - Women can drive! [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 summers ago in qatar at the airport a 13 year old was driving a land cruiser at well north of 80 up to arrivals. Weaving through 4 lanes of traffic. He weaved on to shoulder to pass some people. A filipino family was stopped admiring thr fountains outside the terminal (no limits to stupidity) and kid hit their car. Killed 3 or 4 adults and ejected infant from car down to lake.

On national day we would have 20-30 children brought in with varying head injuries having been ejected from cars by either sitting on window sill or through sun roof........

Driving there ia another world
Quote Reply
Re: Saudi Arabia - Women can drive! [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:

Now that is funny!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But they are not allowed to overtake men.

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Quote Reply