Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calculator (spreadsheet) to figure out projected KQ slots?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a calculator to figure out project KQ slots at a future race based on #'s in age group?
Quote Reply
Re: Calculator (spreadsheet) to figure out projected KQ slots? [TRIDAVID2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This topic is toxic. I can't believe you brought it up.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Calculator (spreadsheet) to figure out projected KQ slots? [TRIDAVID2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Send me number of people per AG and I can run the calculation.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Sep 26, 17 7:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Calculator (spreadsheet) to figure out projected KQ slots? [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Coach Cox's analysis, however I think his Kona calculator is out of date, nor would he be able to take into account things like wetsuit optional and other things. E.g. IM Choo had 3 slots for M30-34, he noted 2 which I think makes sense if you look at all participants but broken down for non-wetsuit, we got 3.

Search the hundred of threads on this subject, someone (might have been Stevej right above) posted a helpful explanation of how it works. I was able to create my own excel spreadsheet that figures it out although i've only tested it on races i've done so I could have it by luck.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IGNORE THIS FILE. A corrected one is in my post below.

I made this a while ago. Should still be right. Just fill in the info for the green cells and the rest is calculated.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Sep 27, 17 9:54
Quote Reply
Re: Calculator (spreadsheet) to figure out projected KQ slots? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI..... based on what I have seen in the last year, that is the old way of calculating slots. Somewhere around IMLOU 2016, WTC started calculating them differently. If run the number of starters from IMLOU last year through your spreadsheet, you will get a different slot allocation than what WTC actually gave out.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Calculator (spreadsheet) to figure out projected KQ slots? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What have they changed? is the IMLOU data available somewhere? Has that method continued at other races or could they have messed up the calculation for that race?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Calculator (spreadsheet) to figure out projected KQ slots? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://docs.google.com/...5480eF6_U/edit#gid=0

I think I got this one from here on ST. Sorry, don't remember who created it or posted it to share.

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6148282#p6148282

Starting reading here and see KNY's responses.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Calculator (spreadsheet) to figure out projected KQ slots? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll check that out, but I just checked the slot allocation for IMLOU from 16 as posted here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...lle%20slots#p6105167

But they listed starters next to the number of slots, where finishers is historically the number used. There were NO finishers in F65-69 nor in M75-79 yet they allocated each of those age groups a slot, so unless their new system awards slots to folks who did not even finish, this was done improperly.

There were also lots of people who had finishing times but were later listed as DNF's or DQ's. My finisher numbers have all those people out of it, but perhaps at the time they calculated the slots they did not have all those DNF's and DQ's worked out yet.

So I do not think we can use the IMLOU posted slots as a way to figure out the new system, if there is one.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slots are awarded based off number of starters not total number of finishers.

When there are only a few starters in the older age groups but none of them finish, that age group still gets a slot, but it then gets reallocated to the next deserving same gender's age group. This reallocation doesn't happen until the actual slot allocation which is after the slot sheet is posted.

Edit: I have a calculator with their new formula and it matches up perfectly with what was at IMLOU and IMAZ.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Sep 27, 17 9:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I changed my spreadsheet to do what kny said and it still does not match the IMLOU numbers either with starters or finishers.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oops... I forgot to copy and paste the new formula down the spreadsheet. Now it works perfectly. Here it is with the 2016 IMLOU data.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Sep 27, 17 9:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok good. I would just change "finishers" to starters so people don't get confused (I know I have).

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Already caught that and edited on the attached file. Thanks!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just look at the allocation from another race (ideally in the same country/region) with the same number of slots, the race you are trying to predict the allocation for is going to be pretty similar.
Quote Reply