Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What Happened in Boulder - J Daerr and L Griffin [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He might not have been in 5th at the time he missed the turn around.

I have to say that at IM Boulder this turn around seems well marked to me, but the idea that the athlete is always at fault and expected to know the course confidently enough to defy the instructions of race officials (which other regulations state they must obey) in order to run the correct course is overboard and a copout for the race organizers. If my lead bike tells me to turn around a cone, I'm most likely going to turn around it, even if I think it's a little early.

At Boulder 70.3 this year they completely moved the out and back section of the course to a new location without ever updating the maps and it's the responsibility of the athletes to know the course? I did a HITS race in upstate New York where the bike turnaround was not marked or manned at all until the 10th or 12th athlete got to it. I arrived to it in second place and the lead motorcycle coming back the other way told me to turn around.

With situations like that, the race is to blame, not the athlete.

Sorry... Rant over.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: What Happened in Boulder - J Daerr and L Griffin [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have no dog in the fight and no information other than what is contained in this thread, but am wondering if the DQ is the subject of the appeal fundamentally. USAT rules require a variable time penalty UNLESS substantial advantage is gained, then it elevates to DQ. guessing here the appeal panel decided no substantial advantage was gained, thus DQ is reversed and positions reinstated. just a guess...now let us see if IM accepts the ruling from the governing body and acts accordingly. maybe jimmy can weigh in.
Quote Reply
Re: What Happened in Boulder - J Daerr and L Griffin [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since we are talking about course changes, at the 70.3 Worlds they changed the location of the out and back at the far end of the bike. They mentioned the change at the athlete briefing and I noted it while driving the course. Thankfully there was a lot of activity at that corner or I would have missed it. Later on in the course preview we came upon the original out and back that was not marked (Friday if I recall). Thought to myself someone is going to turn there because they memorized the course. By race day (at least for the men's race on Sunday) the put arrows up at the original out and back turn to clearly mark that we were not turning. Those are the little things good race directors do. Probably saved a handful of people a few extra minutes on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: What Happened in Boulder - J Daerr and L Griffin [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The official results still haven't been updated to reflect that Daerr and Griffin finished the race and were not disqualified. I wonder if WTC is just dragging its feet or intentionally ignoring the USAT ruling.
Quote Reply
Re: What Happened in Boulder - J Daerr and L Griffin [wmcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just checked results still have not been updated.
Quote Reply
Re: What Happened in Boulder - J Daerr and L Griffin [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. If the course takes a right on Elm and a left on Main the athlete should know that and is responsible. How is the athlete supposed to know the exact location of a turn around on an out and back, is it even marked prior to race morning?
Quote Reply

Prev Next