Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What kind of connector / socket is this?
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on what type of connector is this? We moved into this house 4 years ago and was going to just replace this with a blank cover and wire nut over the connections. The wire attaching to it looks a little like speaker wire, though it could be low voltage. Hopefully someone recognizes the physical connector. Thx.

Quote Reply
Re: What kind of connector / socket is this? [onehandicap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onehandicap wrote:
Any thoughts on what type of connector is this? ....it could be low voltage.

Why not put a multimeter to it and check the potential? If its 120V (I'm assuming you're in North America) then do some loop checks - i.e. Does it go back to the electrical panel? Often there is a clue in the panel, such as an electricians penciled in note on what this is.

If you can get your hands on a Fluke meter (or equivalent) you can clamp on the prongs, induce a signal and then follow the wire through the walls to see where the hell it comes from - i.e. the phone company, security system, NSA surveillance, etc.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there were only a place that dealt with a wide variety of electrical components, some place maybe that sold radio's out of shack? Kind of looks like a homemade lashup of an EU two prong power cord, except it only has one key.

If you have one of these nearby, they might, might know what it is. But I'd throw a multimeter on there just to see what what voltage it's providing.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your house from the 70's by any chance? The cable looks kind of like it might be 300 ohm twin-lead FM/TV antenna wire. Additional clues would be gained from where you found that wall plate - is it near an obvious location for a TV or stereo? If you've never been up in the roof of your house, you may find a big antenna array up in there.

Sometimes the wire will have printing on it, indicating the gauge and other details. That can help you identify the intended use.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not positive but it looks like something called a JST RCY connector. Typically used for low voltage stuff, so in a house it could for speakers or a TV antenna.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of connector / socket is this? [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is your house from the 70's by any chance? The cable looks kind of like it might be 300 ohm twin-lead FM/TV antenna wire. Additional clues would be gained from where you found that wall plate - is it near an obvious location for a TV or stereo? If you've never been up in the roof of your house, you may find a big antenna array up in there.
Sometimes the wire will have printing on it, indicating the gauge and other details. That can help you identify the intended use.

+1
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of connector / socket is this? [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo! Thx. Actually found a similar plate on eBay just to confirm. 300 ohm Tenna-Grip TV plug wall plate.
Quote Reply