Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo C5
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a daily training bike that I can put a ton of miles on and won't feel beat-up from after long rides. My tri bike is a P4, so this is purely for training purposes. I've been looking around at various 'endurance' bikes (Roubaix, Domane, etc.) and the Cervelo C5 seems like I can get a C5 with DA Di2 and disc brakes for way less than comparable spec in the Domane or the Roubaix. I don't really have much interest in riding gravel roads so fitting tires larger than the 28s that come on it isn't an issue to me. The worst that this bike will see are potholes and tar snakes on the various backroads of the Santa Cruz mountains. What are everyones' thoughts on the C5 as a daily trainer on purely paved (albeit sometimes very badly) roads?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo C5 [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
I'm looking for a daily training bike that I can put a ton of miles on and won't feel beat-up from after long rides. My tri bike is a P4, so this is purely for training purposes. I've been looking around at various 'endurance' bikes (Roubaix, Domane, etc.) and the Cervelo C5 seems like I can get a C5 with DA Di2 and disc brakes for way less than comparable spec in the Domane or the Roubaix. I don't really have much interest in riding gravel roads so fitting tires larger than the 28s that come on it isn't an issue to me. The worst that this bike will see are potholes and tar snakes on the various backroads of the Santa Cruz mountains. What are everyones' thoughts on the C5 as a daily trainer on purely paved (albeit sometimes very badly) roads?

I'm curious why you'd opt for a bike with Dura-Ace to train upon? If you don't want to feel beat up, why stop at 28mm tire width? Why not 38mm? 48mm?

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo C5 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
jkatsoudas wrote:

I'm curious why you'd opt for a bike with Dura-Ace to train upon? If you don't want to feel beat up, why stop at 28mm tire width? Why not 38mm? 48mm?

Good questions.

1) I'd prefer Ultegra Di2 for cost reasons but the C5 isn't offered with Ultegra Di2, only DA. It's still comparably priced (or less) than a Roubaix or Domane with Ultegra Di2 and disc brakes.

2) I still want it to feel and handle like a road bike.
Last edited by: jkatsoudas: Sep 24, 17 21:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why no love for the C3 with 8070 group ? New more disc-specific Ultegra Di2, no more clunky shifters...
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo C5 [dj_pal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't say there's no love for the C3, but the C5 is just better. Better frame, better fork, better wheels, etc. Do you have a C3? How do you like it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried the C3, not the C5.
For a daily trainer, I doubt that you can feel the difference between the bikes blind-folded, either for weight or stiffness. Heavier, lower modulus C3 may even be more resistant and compliant. Wheels can be upgraded, with the significant savings over a DuraAce C5. Ask your LBS for a try ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size frame are you looking for?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo C5 [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What size frame are you looking for?

Based on stack/reach I *think* I need a 56cm but I'm not 100% sure. I'm trying to more-or-less replicate my position on the new bike from my old Trek 5200, which has a stack of 570mm and a reach of 395mm. The geometry of all the current 'endurance' bikes is wildly different than the 5200, so there's no obvious choice based on stack/reach. The 56cm C5 has a stack of 595mm. That may OK because I was running 1.5 cm of spacers under a zero rise stem on the 5200. I can probably live with an extra 1cm of stack. The reach of the 56cm C5 is 382mm. I'm currently running a 110mm stem on the Trek so I'd need to go with a 130ish mm stem to get the same reach. The LBS has a 54cm and 56cm C3 in stock so I was planning to take my current bike down there and take some measurements and see which one we think is the best fit.

Edit: here's what my position on the Trek looks like:

Last edited by: jkatsoudas: Sep 25, 17 9:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sent you a private message.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo C5 [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jim. Just replied to your message.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think for the use purposes you described, it'll be fine.

I had a C5 and thought it was a fun "get around" bike. I found it a little tougher to go out with a group and ride, I was seemingly working much harder to keep up than usual with the larger tires. I'm sure it could have been something else, but same group I have no issues keeping up/usually in the front.

It's sturdy, geometry maybe a little funky, but hop on one and take it for a spin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely lots of riders going to a CX bike spec in Vancouver for city riding and weekend racing/events.

Having owned this be-spoke Spooky aluminum the versatility and ride is unbelieveable. I am not sure I could bring myself to buy-in on market carbon setups. No personality perhaps. And do you think that USA or Canadian made in the shop can out-do Taiwan or Chinese made furniture?

Guru is back in business with the T-lab gravel bikes :) <http://t-lab-bikes.com/

And state side gotta love Frank the Welder's legendary stuff <https://ridingagainstthegrain.com/...-review-gravel-bike/

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply