Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

To IMFL or to DNS
Quote | Reply
I have some conflicting interests right now and I am unsure how to process my feelings. After competing in my first 70.3 this year, I went 4:05 (with a short swim at Chatt), took my slot to worlds, and pretty much tanked at worlds as well as Steelhead. I signed up for Florida, with the goal to KQ but I think I got caught up in excitement of others. Now that Florida is quickly approaching, I'm not even sure I want to show up. I've still been training, got in 100 miler yesterday and 17mile run on Tuesday.

When I think about what I want out of this lifestyle and sport, going out for a 100 mile bike ride doesn't sound appealing. I love adventure, challenges, competing and the friendships I've made along the way and I most certainly enjoy racing the shorter distances or 70.3 and 140.6.

I just know my heart and head are not all in right now. I'm still putting in the work and I know if I show up to the start line my competitive nature will certainly kick in... But for what? and I'm having a very difficult time answering that.

Do I step back, take some time and reevaluate or HTFU and show up?

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: To IMFL or to DNS [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a hobby, if you don't want to do it, don't do it. I'm not sure how anybody here is going to have more insight on what you are looking for than you have.
Quote Reply
Re: To IMFL or to DNS [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
It's a hobby, if you don't want to do it, don't do it. I'm not sure how anybody here is going to have more insight on what you are looking for than you have.

I agree with that. I'm not looking for a specific response, but figured if anyone can relate to how I'm feeling, it is someone here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prepping for my 4th IMAZ and I feel this way at this stage of the race, I just want to be done with it especially tough this year due to injuries and life happening. What keeps me putting in the work is that the rest of the year I can race my way to train. I did a sprint this summer and forgot how fun they were... I can always not do another full but I'm not wired that way. I also am greatful for the ability to race at this distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If youve been training, then show up and race. You'll most likely regret it later if you don't. Then Take time to reflect and evaluate after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was biking beside my gf today on her long run as she also prepares for IMFL.

75 minutes in at 38C and she says why am I doing this I don't want to do an ironman.

Get to the start line and the rest falls into place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been in your shoes, didn’t really feel like I was up for a IM one year, didn’t buy the insurance, decided to not do the race, ate $525 or so. Didn’t regret it one bit. You’re call, be miserable and beat yourself mentally and count each quarter mile you’re out there, or just have another somewhat normal weekend.

And to be honest, I think the iron distance is stupid, 70.3 is the best. A good balance of speed, pacing and endurance.
Last edited by: mike s: Sep 24, 17 16:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you the guy looking to race for elite card or was that someone else?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like long rides are a passion killer for you. Consider doing the race but, to salvage any remaining motivation, don't do anymore 5 hour rides this season. With 6 weeks to go, most of the hay is in the barn anyway.

I, like you, find long rides tough. The long ride is the only workout I dread--after 3 hours on the bike I'd rather be doing anything else. I have no problem racing longer, but I get restless being on the bike for 4+ hours in training.

See how it goes if you focus on raising your FTP and limiting your long rides to 3 hours -- but 3 hardish hours. It's not like you'll finish 15 min slower by substituting four 3-hour rides for four 5-hour rides. Do that and ride at a reasonable intensity factor during the race and you'll finish damn close to your potential.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your in the U 24 AG, go do it. Why? Because it's likely the weakest AG for you to KQ, and half the people in that AG can't afford it and are in over their head (likely you are too....but your decently fast and can likely overcome that).

ETA: Of course I'm saying that because you got all giddy and wanted to KQ so you sign up for an IM and now hate the long rides for it......sounds about right.

So I'd give you a 90% chance of KQing and more so because the rest of your AG likely will suck, not because it's a smart decision.

2016:

10:05 won the AG; 11:42 2nd

2015:
9:19 won AG

2014 (no swim):
8:20 won AG ~9:20ish I'd say

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 24, 17 18:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a rest week, go run a local 5k or if there is a short tri in the neighborhood even better. Then get back to it.

IM Florida puts us in for a long season, but you'll be better come race day. Back it down, don't grind out 5 hours rides, like mentioned. And you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up for IM Wisconsin but early in the season I realized I didn't want to spend my whole summer on the bike and so much time in the pool. So I pulled the plug in April and just deferred to Steelhead and glad I did. My heart just wasn't in it this year. Found out I enjoy Oly's and occasionally a 70.3, and the additional free time. However, you didn't mention whether you have done a 140.6. Because that's a pretty awesome experience, and if you haven't done one and are this far along, I'd say go for it. I think getting a little tired of the monotony of long course training is pretty typical, so maybe you're just in a funk right now. I'd have a hard time walking away at this point, but like others said this is a hobby and you should be enjoying it.
Quote Reply
Re: To IMFL or to DNS [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
If your in the U 24 AG, go do it. Why? Because it's likely the weakest AG for you to KQ, and half the people in that AG can't afford it and are in over their head (likely you are too....but your decently fast and can likely overcome that).

ETA: Of course I'm saying that because you got all giddy and wanted to KQ so you sign up for an IM and now hate the long rides for it......sounds about right.

So I'd give you a 90% chance of KQing and more so because the rest of your AG likely will suck, not because it's a smart decision.

2016:

10:05 won the AG; 11:42 2nd

2015:
9:19 won AG

2014 (no swim):
8:20 won AG ~9:20ish I'd say

I appreciate the feedback to everyone that has posted. I am in the next AG up although the slots look like they fall within similar time. As of now, I am committed to the training.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love racing both 70.3 and 140.6. Even when training for an IM, I'm already thinking about the next IM. I can't imagine competing in an IM if your heart isn't in it. Whatever you do, start looking for another sport that you enjoy as a passion. Life is too short to waste on an event where you are just going through the motions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm training for IMFL as well (first IM for me). Hang in there. Take it a day at a time and don't worry about what may be upcoming. Just focus on each days workouts and after they are done, move on to the next day.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go race something that you enjoy and are good at right now. Find a 5k, 10k or Half Marathon with-in the next 2 weeks. Go race it, win and feel better. Then get back into the IMFL mode. It's not just the race that is challenging. The training is a bigger challenge than the race imo.

Like you I expected low times this year based off last year and my off season training. I tanked at my 1st 70.3 then tanked again at my 2nd 70.3. I took 1 week off and a 2nd of recover workouts to clear fatigue in my legs. Then I went and raced 2 Olympics when I either won AG or podium and 2 Sprints winning masters. Doing another Sprint (trying to win the series for Masters) this weekend with our club and my wifes first Triathlon then heading out for my long ride after. It's a nice break from the long boring IM training and you get some feel good moments.

Hang in there and we will see you at IMFL.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm struggling with whether to DNS IMFL also. This post and the responses were helpful for me, so thanks for putting it out there.

As others have pointed out, it sounds like you've pushed yourself really hard and are probably tired. It also seems overwhelmingly likely you'll finish based on your training, even if you don't jog another step between now and race day. One of my friends just withdrew and knew immediately upon emailing Ironman that it was the right choice because she just felt so relieved. So this might help, if you imagine yourself today as having emailed Ironman saying you withdraw - would you feel relieved? What about at Thanksgiving dinner?

I so love and kinda hate that will always be people who tell you that you should suffer through. People do often become paralyzed by fear and get themselves talked out of goals, so the htfu encouragement is so often very helpful and necessary. But it's also totally valid to assess what you would miss out on if you did press forward with the race and decide that your time is more valuable spent otherwise.

...all of which is easier said than done and I'm having a hard time myself. I signed up for this race last fall because I had DNFd the swim a few years ago and really wanted to finish the course. I put in really solid training most of the year and thought I could even post a nice IM-distance PR, but then got hit with some serious issues in late August and missed most workouts for 3-4 weeks. I just got back into long training last weekend, which sucked, and now I'm debating whether clinging to a chance to finish is worth it, or if I should just go cheer for all you fine people. TBD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:
I have some conflicting interests right now and I am unsure how to process my feelings. After competing in my first 70.3 this year, I went 4:05 (with a short swim at Chatt), took my slot to worlds, and pretty much tanked at worlds as well as Steelhead. I signed up for Florida, with the goal to KQ but I think I got caught up in excitement of others. Now that Florida is quickly approaching, I'm not even sure I want to show up. I've still been training, got in 100 miler yesterday and 17mile run on Tuesday.

When I think about what I want out of this lifestyle and sport, going out for a 100 mile bike ride doesn't sound appealing. I love adventure, challenges, competing and the friendships I've made along the way and I most certainly enjoy racing the shorter distances or 70.3 and 140.6.

I just know my heart and head are not all in right now. I'm still putting in the work and I know if I show up to the start line my competitive nature will certainly kick in... But for what? and I'm having a very difficult time answering that.

Do I step back, take some time and reevaluate or HTFU and show up?

I can say this. Right now you are in a funk, that funk may pass like a cloud or it may not. Bottom line is that when Ironman Florida takes place, will you regret your decision? I wrote about whether it is better to DNF or DNS, it is not the same situation but it may help.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the training sucks, especially because you're doing it in summer heat. The long training rides suck any time of year. Everybody I know wants to quit training after a 5/6-hour ride, except for the insane ones.

But you're at 100 miles biking, 17 running, so you're ready. Just a few more weeks to that sweet, sweet taper, and your mind will probably get right.

The race is not at all like the training -- it's a reward/celebration of the training. Do the race, have fun. It'll be over before you know it. If you DNS and then decide to do an IM, you'll have to start over.

And maybe you decide that a full IM is not your thing, and then you don't do it again. Or maybe you decide it is your thing after all. Me? I did IMFL a few years ago and still can't decide whether to do it again. Hated the training, but loved the race.

In the future, consider racing fewer long races to avoid burnout.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just fight through the funk. It will pass. I had a funk going in to a 70.3. I raced and about 10 minutes into the bike, I just wanted to turn around and ride back to transition. Not for any reason other than I just didn't want to be there. Ended up being a great race and I'm so glad I finished it.
Last edited by: Chris K: Sep 28, 17 14:18
Quote Reply