Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Apple Watch and Training Peaks?
Quote | Reply
Like many of you I had looked at the Apple watch to use at least for my shorter mid week runs. The thing that always stopped me was I could find no applications that would sync my run (or other workout) to Trainingpeaks. I recently picked up a new AW3 with LTE. Since I always run with my phone so I can call for an emergency pickup if I twist my ankle or similar and I'd like to skip the phone and this simplifies what I need to carry. Especially since I'm one of those evil people that sometimes likes to run with headphones.

I have found 2 apps so far that will sync to TrainingPeaks:

1. Ismoothrun - it seems to sync to just about everything from Strava, TP, Nike, and lots I've never even heard of. Lots of customization and can log bike workouts too. It looks like it can sync with most BT sensors including my Kickr. Looks promising so far.

2. Wahoo Runfit - looks like a good, basic app for tracking runs and syncs to TP and several others.

I saw some swim apps, but haven't dug too deep.

Have ya'll found any others that work?

--------------------------

TEAM HONEY BADGER
Last edited by: jsfarmer: Sep 24, 17 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch and Training Peaks? [jsfarmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm supposed to pick up my AW3 tomorrow so I'll dig in then but thanks for those two :) I'd really like to find an app that can sync both my swims and runs as I don't see my PC/Garmin combo changing for my bike in the foreseeable future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just picked up mine (Apple watch 3 with LTE) on Friday.

Did a 2 hour run, with cell service on, tracked my miles with the Apple watch, with music (stored in the watch) playing to my wireless earbuds.

then I had 10% battery warning sign.

I love Apple products, but this thing isn't replacing my Forerunner 735 anytime soon.

-----

Today, I did another 2 hour run, used Garmin watch & carried Apple Watch with cellular on, but no music and no GPS tracking (relied on Garmin instead). 85% battery left at the end of my run.

I don't have to carry my phone, so I still like the watch a lot.

Apply Pay works to buy stuff on the go. Lyft/Uber app is there, to call for help as needed (I haven't tried this yet)

Just my 2 cents.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch and Training Peaks? [Shiv88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try storing music locally and playing music on your run to see how that affects battery life.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Watch and Training Peaks? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, that’s what I did. I downloaded songs to the watch & played the music to my ear buds. They are promising the streaming option (let’s say, Apple Music streaming or podcast), but it’s not activated yet.

On the first run, I was using Nike run app on my phone. I think that’s what killed my battery? With constant GPS connection? FYI, it does have a battery save mode, to turn off the heart rate monitor and cell service when you are running, but it defeats the purpose of running watch, if you kill the heart rate sensor.

I’m sure they can address some issues with software update. It does NOT replace my Garmin watch, but I still like it & im keeping it for now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... seems like its best use might be to use it as a cellphone, wallet, and maybe an MP3 player for runs and rides but still use something like a 920/735 to keep track of multipart stuff. Probably easier to sink to TP that way too. I'll have to play with mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You make a good point. the App being used to record the run could have a big impact on battery life.

I'm going to try it with LTE off (emergency only) and BT music streamed from the watch with HR and GPS on.

I'll test tomorrow.

TEAM HONEY BADGER
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang it. I'm in the Microsoft and Linux ecosystem. Not much in Apple's. But someone needs to develop a triathlon app for the Apple Watch. There's already support for running, heart rate, and swimming. It is quite likely (guessing here....) that Apple has documentation on how to integrate those into your own app. Then need support for Bluetooth cycle sensors and an elegant way of switching between sports. Something could be developed quickly, and pushed out. Then we spend next many years polishing it and adding features.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick update. Ran with Wahoo Runfit.

3.35 mile run (32min), used GPS with BT and music loaded on watch. This used 13% of battery.

A little higher than I'd like, but my guess is I'd be able to make it around 3 1/2 hours.

Will keep testing.

TEAM HONEY BADGER
Quote Reply