Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hey Vitus, lunchbox, nameless ghoul, jec.... [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Vitus, lunchbox, nameless ghoul, jec.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done sir

Quote | Reply
Congrats. But you're still a giant pussy.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude

CONGRATULATIONS!!

An amazing accomplishment. I know how brutally dangerous the brown belts in my school are...this just makes me more terrified of you than I already am :)

Great job!!
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Vitus, lunchbox, nameless ghoul, jec.... [nameless ghoul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nameless ghoul wrote:
Dude

CONGRATULATIONS!!

An amazing accomplishment. I know how brutally dangerous the brown belts in my school are...this just makes me more terrified of you than I already am :)

Great job!!

I don’t feel dangerous but people act like I am.

It’s becoming a little weird, actually.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
nameless ghoul wrote:
Dude

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Great job!!

I don’t feel dangerous but people act like I am.

It’s becoming a little weird, actually.

One would think that the brown belts shouldn't be dangerous at all. If you've reached that level you should have a really firm grasp on how to roll with lesser belts without hurting them (more than they need to be hurt anyway, if that makes sense...).

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Sep 25, 17 7:26
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Vitus, lunchbox, nameless ghoul, jec.... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, in that sense you are correct. The most dangerous (most likely to injur someone) are generally large, athletic new white belts.

But if you define dangerous as the potential to inflict severe joint damage, on purpose, to most people, a brown belt would fit that definition.

I’ve always been of the opinion that browns are the toughest people to roll with because they are trying to show that they are worthy of the belt and are trying to progress to black. Everyone is gunning for them so they are always on their game. Maybe that’s how people see me, I don’t know.

I do have a style of play that is designed to inflict the most possible amount of discomfort and frustration upon my opponent. I want them to just give up and “give” me a submission.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

I do have a style of play that is designed to inflict the most possible amount of discomfort and frustration upon my opponent. I want them to just give up and “give” me a submission.

Yes. But you are not trying to "hurt" them. I wouldn't call that dangerous.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:

I’m not trying to injure them.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:

That's what I meant. You want them to feel pain or "discomfort" as you so lovingly put it. If they don't feel pain they likely won't tap.

But you won't inflict more than what they "ask for".

That was kind of my point. A brown should know how to make someone tap without injuring them. (at least in my limited knowledge opinion anyway).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you knew what i meant but just to clarify: by dangerous I meant someone who could inflict life altering damage on another person. In terms of dangerous to train with, no, they're generally the safest people to roll with. Though I have found black belts to be a little bit safer. As you said the browns have the target on their back from the young and fit crowd. Me being old and fat I've found there is very little I can do against a brown belt that they don't allow.

What I consider to be the most fascinating aspect of BJJ is that until you attempt the sport you have absolutely no idea how another person could so easily inflict their will on you and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. It was a realization within the first few classes I took. And to be honest it was terrifying to realize how weak I and incapable of protecting myself I really am. I'm at it two years now and when the brown belts are feeling a little cranky there's nothing I can do about it. They pin me down and it's over for me, at their discretion.

Personally I think you should embrace the reputation...ride a harley everywhere, shave your head, get tattoos on your bald head and wear sunglasses indoors. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:

That's what I meant. You want them to feel pain or "discomfort" as you so lovingly put it. If they don't feel pain they likely won't tap.

That was kind of my point. A brown should know how to make someone tap without injuring them. (at least in my limited knowledge opinion anyway).

This is true of any decent blue belt as well (with most submissions).

One thing that is an interesting aspect of what we do is the trust that is involved. There are times (many many times every day I train) where my life is literally in someone’s hands.

Jiu jitsu is the art of strangulation and joint destruction and can be trained at near 100% effort against uncooperative partners.

I went into it expecting to learn how to be “dangerous” but the bonding, trust and humility was totally unexpected and completely overwhelms the “bad ass” aspect of it.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 "In the last couple months something just clicked and I started giving the browns and some of the blacks problems. "

Jeez -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many times a week? How many hours do you think you have done

It seems its the real deal insofar as it takes hard graft to progress
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Vitus, lunchbox, nameless ghoul, jec.... [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
How many times a week? How many hours do you think you have done

It seems its the real deal insofar as it takes hard graft to progress

Rough guess I’d say I’ve put in 1,500 hours.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:

This is true of any decent blue belt as well (with most submissions).

One thing that is an interesting aspect of what we do is the trust that is involved. There are times (many many times every day I train) where my life is literally in someone’s hands.

Jiu jitsu is the art of strangulation and joint destruction and can be trained at near 100% effort against uncooperative partners.

I went into it expecting to learn how to be “dangerous” but the bonding, trust and humility was totally unexpected and completely overwhelms the “bad ass” aspect of it.

It's the environment and the people in it. It was exactly what I wanted to find again.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! Well done. Earned indeed.

BTW, thanks again for weighing in on children's BJJ a couple of months ago. My five-year old is loving it. She has a huge, indelible smile on her face whenever she's on the mat. In her first class, she unwittingly tossed a boy aside with a butterfly sweep while he was trying to get mount. Kid went sprawling. Proud dad moment.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Vitus, lunchbox, nameless ghoul, jec.... [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My dad died of brain cancer and what’s great about bjj with girls (kids) is that it shows them they can hold their own with the boys. Pre-puberty there is virtually no real physical disadvantage to being female and good technique will override most of any disadvantage that may exist.

What’s good about jiu jitsu for grown women is that it gives them tools to defend themselves but it also gives them an acute awareness of just how physically disadvantaged they are compared to men.

A couple weeks ago I had a girl complain about me “going easy” on her. I told her I go easy mainly because of the weight difference (I’m 190ish and she’s 130ish) and I told her that me going hard wouldn’t be fun or productive.

She said give me your best. So I did.

30 seconds of that and she said “ok ok, I get it now”.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Sep 27, 17 14:01
Quote Reply

Prev Next