Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [tie3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My masters group is pretty stacked with tri-athletes and is mostly tri specific. We even had a guest coach in last week who specializes in open water swim skills.

I am looking at the Tower 26 info now, I did buy a snorkel and ankle bands and have been using them.

Hope you make a break through. My life long friend got into tri's this year starting swimming in January, literally could not get across the pool. He is now swimming 1:16-1:20 100's. I can't even beat him with fins on lol. It's just easy for some I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
I haven't read the replies to this thread but do you do any shorter races? How about next year train for and do about 5 sprint races and maybe an oly or 2 and finish off the year with a half. Bueno!

I like to race but our season is short in Ohio. If I spent that many weekends racing I would lose my family lol. I usually do a few shorter local races.

BTW I ditched IMNC as I got way to busy with work to even consider it. I did sign up for IMFL 70.3 April 8th as my next race. If anything it will keep me training consistently all winter long. I should be in the best shape Ive been in for early April and not having to play catch up all summer long. Last winter I just ran with zero swim and close to zero bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mlyonsdc wrote:
mdtrihard wrote:
I haven't read the replies to this thread but do you do any shorter races? How about next year train for and do about 5 sprint races and maybe an oly or 2 and finish off the year with a half. Bueno!

I like to race but our season is short in Ohio. If I spent that many weekends racing I would lose my family lol. I usually do a few shorter local races.

BTW I ditched IMNC as I got way to busy with work to even consider it. I did sign up for IMFL 70.3 April 8th as my next race. If anything it will keep me training consistently all winter long. I should be in the best shape Ive been in for early April and not having to play catch up all summer long. Last winter I just ran with zero swim and close to zero bike.

Ok, I don't think you heard what I was saying.....
Quote Reply
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
3. Really look into your nutrition and make sure you are consuming enough calories AND enough water.

I had this same thought. What are you eating/drinking? 5-6 hrs of athletic work is a massive strain on the body, and nutrition at this distance can be tricky (even if you train it).

Also agree with the others that the swim is taking alot out of you. As a result of your swim, even a "reasonable" bike power is too much. It's a fine balance, though. G'luck -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
Quote:

3. Really look into your nutrition and make sure you are consuming enough calories AND enough water.

I had this same thought. What are you eating/drinking? 5-6 hrs of athletic work is a massive strain on the body, and nutrition at this distance can be tricky (even if you train it).

Also agree with the others that the swim is taking alot out of you. As a result of your swim, even a "reasonable" bike power is too much. It's a fine balance, though. G'luck -J

That was something I looked into and it may have played a role. It was cold out and when its cold I have a hard time getting enough fluids in me. I use Infinite which I had three bottles concentrated into two plus the water bladder in my Shiv. I also had two gels while on the bike and I finished all except about 20% of the last bottle and only drank a little of the water in the bladder. I was a little short of carbs/calories on the bike probably about 850, but I started eating early on the run with a banana and chews.

I still had to pee at the beginning of the run too and I am usually a camel when racing. I have been dehydrated in a race before and know what that is like and I didn't feel like I didnt have enough fluids. I drank plenty on the run too as it was sunny and warming up as the day progressed and I switch to coke around mile 7 and was using Base salt every mile on the run.

Florida will be more of a nutritional challenge in the heat plus I am a heavy sweater to begin with. I hope to also have a little less insulation by then too!
Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next