Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: weight gain between 40 and 50 reversible? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
For 99.9% of the population, it is calories in vs. calories out.

Except not all calories are the same. If you 100 calories of sugar, you increase the secretion of insulin and insulin is linked to increased body fat. If you eat 100 calories of natural fat, the secretion of insulin is far lower and you don't get the same impact.

Using calories in vs. calories out assumes all calories are equal and that is simply not true.

The impact of poor calories "in" is basically "less calories out". Nothing worse than beating your metabolism into a pathetically low state with poor quality nutrition, so yes, while the calories "in" may be the same, when the input calories are crap, the calories "out" ends up being poor....really what ends up happening is when the "calories in" are crap, your metabolism takes a beating and you just end up adding more "calories in"....thus the never ending negative cycle. What type of calories that go in have a big impact on how the body operates "next" and what behavior you end up engaging in "next".
Quote Reply
Re: weight gain between 40 and 50 reversible? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Except not all calories are the same. If you 100 calories of sugar, you increase the secretion of insulin and insulin is linked to increased body fat. If you eat 100 calories of natural fat, the secretion of insulin is far lower and you don't get the same impact.

Using calories in vs. calories out assumes all calories are equal and that is simply not true.

This is the issue, folks try to keep spinning the excuses. Dah, but at the end of the day, you stuff your face, you put on the pounds.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: weight gain between 40 and 50 reversible? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

This is the issue, folks try to keep spinning the excuses. Dah, but at the end of the day, you stuff your face, you put on the pounds.

not an excuse, but its a possibility. http://knowledgenuts.com/...lf-with-rabbit-meat/

people can control their intake, but eventually if its artificial foods (fried foods, these dont exist in nature), those toxins build up and break down the bio-chemical/mechanical processes in the body
Quote Reply
Re: weight gain between 40 and 50 reversible? [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that someone is going to shoot me for suggesting this....

Do you lift?

.....(waiting for the backlash)

Reason being: My dad. Not an endurance athlete. But in his 50s, started lifting (again). Managed to remove the spare tyre , well almost....and definitely lost weight.

Now he's 60, he looks much better, and even swims and cycles.

Just a thought. Try to lift heavy atleast twice a week, and see if that helps you.
Quote Reply
Re: weight gain between 40 and 50 reversible? [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sambadhillon wrote:
I know that someone is going to shoot me for suggesting this....

Do you lift?

.....(waiting for the backlash)

Reason being: My dad. Not an endurance athlete. But in his 50s, started lifting (again). Managed to remove the spare tyre , well almost....and definitely lost weight.

Now he's 60, he looks much better, and even swims and cycles.

Just a thought. Try to lift heavy atleast twice a week, and see if that helps you.

My hypothesis on this is that every human needs anaerobic and aerobic systems to operate to keep the all of the body and organs in equilibrium. From an evolutionary angle, we all needed to do anaerobic stuff daily with our fast twitch fiber just to survive. It's not a lot, but in nature, there would have to be a certain amount of lifting stone and logs, and climbing up trees or rock faces etc applying higher muscle force. Its kind of those "use it or lose it" scenarios. In developed society we don't need to do anything that requires high force with the anaerobic system, so eventually you lose it and your body stops doing all the good things required to rebuild that part of your anatomy. My hypothesis is that the resistance training initiates repair mechanisms from the organs that actually result in a virtuous cycle in terms of sustaining lean body mass.

A lot of the studies I read about resistance training of course focus on the strength building and sustenance, or the body composition/fat reduction, but it is almost impossible to measure the impact that it may have on organ function. That's really what any endurance athlete needs to care about (actually any athlete).....how well can my organs rebuild my body with the food I put in after I expose the muscles to stress.
Quote Reply
Re: weight gain between 40 and 50 reversible? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Humans can't compete with animals anaerobically or in brute strength.

http://www.slate.com/...gher_than_cats_.html

https://news.harvard.edu/...atural-born-runners/

"“Humans are terrible athletes in terms of power and speed, but we’re phenomenal at slow and steady. We’re the tortoises of the animal kingdom,” Lieberman said. That evidence belies the long and firmly held belief that humans are the animal world’s biggest wimps and, if not for our big brains and advanced weapons, we’d be forced to subsist on fruits and vegetables, always in danger of being gobbled up by fiercer predators."
Quote Reply

Prev Next