Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Baby Monitor
Quote | Reply
As some of you may remember, we have been having issues with our daughter having seizures, she had finally been diagnosed with epilepsy and we have been prescribed a daily suppressive medication. She has had 3 seperate days with seizures since then (one had 2), all under 2 minutes long. Our dosage has been increased 2x and we will see where that leads us.

But anyway, to my real question, my Wife and I work opposite shifts so one of us is with her at all times, but we would like to have a monitor to be able to watch and record her during her sleep to see if there is any seizure activity we are missing. She is not vocal when seizing and doesnt move to much, so may not wake us when it happens and we want to make sure we can log any activity to keep the neurology dept up to date to help figure things out (since we have no cause or triggers that we know of). Does anyone know of any good nightvision dvr cameras that arent terribly expensive that we could get? I know I kinda want to stay away from the ones that connect to our internet due to the ability to be hacked, but thats just what I have heard and I am really out of my element here.

I was just wondering if there was any potential insight out there for things to look for, or suggestions on good ones. Thank you in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Baby Monitor [140.6sj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'd almost look at a security camera. I dont know if you would find a recording baby monitor that isn't connected to the internet.

The other option is to maybe get one of those mats that you put under the crib that senses movement, granted I'm not sure how they work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about a motion activated infrared (you cant see the flash) game camera like hunter use? My wife uses them for wildlife classes at the U she teaches at. That way you are not stuck watching a ton of video either. Runs on SD cards so no hooking into the net. Not super expensive and you could return or sell it if if isn't working.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have the Motorola WiFi video baby monitors. They have decent night vision (if it's close enough). We don't use the recording options, and even have the motion and sound detection turned off for now.

You might be better off with a security camera as someone else mentioned, if you want constant recording that your review later, and they may have stronger infrared 'lights' for the night vision.
Quote Reply
Re: Baby Monitor [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adambeston wrote:
What about a motion activated infrared (you cant see the flash) game camera like hunter use? My wife uses them for wildlife classes at the U she teaches at. That way you are not stuck watching a ton of video either. Runs on SD cards so no hooking into the net. Not super expensive and you could return or sell it if if isn't working.

Babies roll around constantly in their sleep. He would be looking through 700 pictures a night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a Samsung Smarthings security set up that we like. We don't have this camera but it gets good reviews. I would guess you could add more recording options.

https://www.bestbuy.com/...KEAQYAyABEgJcfvD_BwE

Have you looked into an angelcare monitor that goes on or under the mattress and alarms on weird activity?
https://www.amazon.com/...DVhOL&ref=plSrch

I few friends of mine had them and really liked them- but not for seizures.
Quote Reply
Re: Baby Monitor [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
adambeston wrote:

Babies roll around constantly in their sleep. He would be looking through 700 pictures a night.

Go to best buy and look there. They have a ton of security cameras. I think this is what you really want. I use the NetGear Arlo, wireless record movement, nigh vision, not sound and stores in the cloud. If you don't want internet, then they probably have an option with SD card or something. They really do have a large selection. Even if you don't buy it there, they can probably show you what's available.

Good luck and best wishes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the Nest indoor camera, I have had one for a couple years. It is great, $100 a year stores the 10 days of video online, I use it is conjunction with my security system for my house, currently I am having renovations done and use it to see how the progress is going during the day when I am not there. It records a constant 10 days so not just when it sees motion. I would not be too concerned about it being hacked.
Quote Reply
Re: Baby Monitor [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found this which looks purpose designed for what you are looking for
http://www.epilepsy.com/...development/crossing

https://www.samialert.com/...ZEAAYASAAEgIXovD_BwE
Last edited by: Moonrocket: Sep 22, 17 7:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out these cameras:

https://nest.com/cameras/

I am glad you got a diagnosis. I hope that helps a bit. I mentioned in your earlier post that my neighbor's daughter had something similar. She had epilepsy and would stop breathing. They moved her bed into their room because they could not sleep at night worrying about her. As she got older her symptoms happened less and less and they moved her back into her room. At school she had someone onsite to watch her on the playground. And all the neighbors knew about her condition so they could help. She's almost 14 now and very rarely has epilepsy anymore. Hopefully your daughter will grow out of it too. Good luck.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Baby Monitor [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have the angelcare. We never used the movement monitor as we thought the constant movement would be annoying. Your situation is obviously different and the system itself is excellent so i would look at it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will look into these suggestions, thank you all very much for the input.

The angel care mat and the motion detection cameras, I dont know if the seizures would set those off, and she moves a lot as it is so they would be going constantly.

When she is seizing her arms lock up and shake (very small movements), then her head tilts back and to the side, with the eyes the same direction.

I know having constant footage would be a pain to go through, but I think I would feel more comfortable with that and then slowly start to through the footage less and less often as we get more comfortable that they arent happening during the night (if they arent). The downside to just filming them is there is still no alert to wake us (my wife) up during a potential seizure.

Based off a quick glance the Sami system seems to be the best bet, but I will look into all of them, and check out bestbuy as well.
Quote Reply