Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Participant Lists to Excel
Quote | Reply
How can we convert IM Participant List to Excel spread sheet.
Thanks.
Dan.
Quote Reply
Re: Participant Lists to Excel [Dancon7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the past I have copied/pasted it into excel and it worked pretty well. I haven't done it in a while so not sure if they changed the format but it seemed to convert pretty well.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a copy paste of each page using paste special and a space separated format. Cumbersome and works for most names but double word names will throw it off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just looked at their lists... It is a PDF. Spaces are field delimeters - which is good for converting into a spreadsheet. Unfortunately there are no line breaks (simply put, hitting the Enter key to make a new line) between participants. Only between pages. So all the participants on the same PDF page are smooshed together in one paragraph when the list is pasted elsewhere. You'd need to add line breaks. I've done this type of thing a ton. Doing it manually is a pain in the ass. What you could do is paste the whole list into Word and replace the country codes with line breaks. It is under replace, then more, then special, and select manual line break. You'd need to do this repeatedly for each country code - however many there are. Once you got line breaks on every line then import the list into excel and excel will magically know what to do. Space characters will define columns and line breaks will define rows.
Quote Reply
Re: Participant Lists to Excel [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's much easier to do as the others mentioned. Copy all from the PDF, then "paste special" as text into an Excel spreadsheet. If you're lucky it will convert automatically and separate into columns (depending on your version of Excel). Otherwise you can do a text or data to columns and select your delimeters to be tabs and spaces. Then you can sort the spreadsheet and delete all the irrelevant info and text quickly and you're good to go. I just did the list for Chattanooga in a few seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Participant Lists to Excel [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Phil wrote:
It's much easier to do as the others mentioned. Copy all from the PDF, then "paste special" as text into an Excel spreadsheet. If you're lucky it will convert automatically and separate into columns (depending on your version of Excel). Otherwise you can do a text or data to columns and select your delimeters to be tabs and spaces. Then you can sort the spreadsheet and delete all the irrelevant info and text quickly and you're good to go. I just did the list for Chattanooga in a few seconds.

+1
The only trouble i had was people with multiple name fields. Fortunately, I care less about that and more about getting the # of each AG.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can someone figure out how to make it sort by fast vs slow people too? :D
Quote Reply
Re: Participant Lists to Excel [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Phil wrote:
I tried that and it didn't work because there were no line delimeters. Granted the PDF participant lists for different races could be formatted differently. I picked one by random.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dancon7 wrote:
How can we convert IM Participant List to Excel spread sheet.
Thanks.
Dan.

1. Select all and copy
2. Special Paste -> Text
3. FlashFill (Hotkey 'Control+E')

If it takes your more than 2 minutes, you're doing it wrong.
Last edited by: Elitist Jerk: Sep 21, 17 12:34
Quote Reply
Re: Participant Lists to Excel [Elitist Jerk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have Office 2016, it opens a pdf as editable text. Easy peazy.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: Participant Lists to Excel [David_Tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Copy and paste to Excel, as mentioned above everything will be in one cell. Select data > Text to Columns > Space Delimited. Now everything will be in a gazillion horizontal cells. Copy all cells and paste special > transpose. Now everything will be in a gazillion vertical cells. Now let's say all cells are in Column B rows 1-7000. In Column C row 1 enter the formula "=B1&B2". Drag this formula all the way to the bottom of the list. Now at some point in this column will be the age and gender designation for each entrant ie F39, M25, etc. In a separate column, say column D, list all possible genders and ages ie M15, M16, M17...M80. Add one more column in Column E with a countif function saying "=countif($C$1:$C$7000,D1)" and drag to the bottom. You now have a count of how many people are racing for each age and gender which you can easily translate into age group counts. Hopefully that's not too confusing.
Quote Reply