Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are some fabrics more/less Aero? (compression socks)
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I've recently started wearing compression socks (calf sleeves) for the run in 70.3s as I tend to perform better with them on. Since I tend to take forever to put them on in T2, my solution has been to put them on under my wetsuit and then use them also on the bike. So far so good, as it doesn't affect my bike (swim?) and has the added benefit of being less dependent on shaved legs.

However, seeing the discussion on world TT championships and overshoes has me wondering if some compression socks are better than others for their aero properties. I hadn't put much thought to it before, and am just using basic 2xu sleeves that I do my long runs in .

Are there others which might be faster in terms of materials, etc.?
Quote Reply
Re: Are some fabrics more/less Aero? (compression socks) [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
definitely

For a triathlete going to wear them in all 3, a good place to start is the nopinz sleeves

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Are some fabrics more/less Aero? (compression socks) [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Generally the vertically ribbed socks/sleeves are more aerodynamic than plain fabric. The UK tt guys go nuts over them. http://nopinz.uk/...pinz-squeeze-guards/
Quote Reply
Re: Are some fabrics more/less Aero? (compression socks) [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
Yes. Generally the vertically ribbed socks/sleeves are more aerodynamic than plain fabric. The UK tt guys go nuts over them. http://nopinz.uk/...pinz-squeeze-guards/

I took sleeves to the tunnel and the Nopinz were slower than tight sleeveless lyrca. I supposed it is very calf dependent, but also, with a wetsuit you have no idea if the things are going to stay straight. Needless to say I have a pair of TripSocks for sale now. XS in these 2XU MCS Compression Sleeves tested the fastest for me.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Are some fabrics more/less Aero? (compression socks) [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2XU still have vertical seams. Did you orient the seams strategically?
Quote Reply
Re: Are some fabrics more/less Aero? (compression socks) [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
The 2XU still have vertical seams. Did you orient the seams strategically?

They do yes, I tried to line them up appropriately because that is how they are designed, but I didn't go nuts thinking about it if that makes any sense.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having tested compression socks/calf sleeves on numerous athletes it's a flip of the coin if it's going to be faster or slower.

The question becomes which side of the coin are you on?

The next question I have, or maybe it should be the first is how did you determine "tend to perform better"?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Are some fabrics more/less Aero? (compression socks) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian

Are they ever slower than skin ?

I have the nopinz

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Are some fabrics more/less Aero? (compression socks) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Having tested compression socks/calf sleeves on numerous athletes it's a flip of the coin if it's going to be faster or slower.

The question becomes which side of the coin are you on?

The next question I have, or maybe it should be the first is how did you determine "tend to perform better"?

That's a good question, and one I don't know if I can actually answer. The n=1 answer is that I've had my bests runs, both off the bike and in stand-alone running races, while wearing compression sleeves and that on training runs I'll have a lower RPE / pace when wearing them vs not. All 5 of my races this year I've felt that I've performed my absolute best on the run while running in compression sleeves. For want of a better explanation, I feel that I fatigue less quickly while wearing them.

Now how I disassociate that from also having a breakthrough year due to other factors (diet change, training methodology change, injury free season, run focused spring, shoe change) is another question entirely and one that I can't answer.
Last edited by: timbasile: Sep 21, 17 9:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nopinz are claiming 10 watts saved for the Tripsockz and 2.5 watts saved for the Squeeze guards. They're also claiming that 5w = 8 secs over 10 miles.

So for an Ironman taking it at face value, this would mean:
-135 seconds for Tripsockz
-45 seconds for Squeeze guards (compression too)

If we take these with a grain of salt, and assume half the benefit so that these are ~1 min and ~25 seconds gain respectively for an IM, give or take.

I'm looking to add compression for the run. Are the Tripsockz compressive enough for an IM run? (or should I plan on a fresh pair of sleeves, or opt for the Squeeze guards?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The socks are just tall socks. I don't know if they would actually stay up for the run. They are also a two piece construction that might not be easy to get into when you are wet.

The compression sleeves are what I would try. Should work just fine under the wetsuit and give good compression. There is the potential for some pretty good drag reductions if you pair the sleeves with a good pair of shoes and pedals. Maybe the lace up Giro and aero Speedplays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Nopinz are claiming 10 watts saved for the Tripsockz and 2.5 watts saved for the Squeeze guards. They're also claiming that 5w = 8 secs over 10 miles.

At 25mph.

I wish they'd pretty much do a time and wattage chart like Flo wheels has for all these kind of products.

What percentage of 1/2 or full participants average over 22mph? Or even 20mph?

Stretching a tri product out to 25mph for a wattage graphic like that is a little bit much.
Quote Reply