Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized Shiv New Group Build?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Long story short my 2013 Shiv had the normal bottom bracket creak they all seem to get found out the bb30 bearings were basically falling out of the sleeve and the seat post was also starting to have the normal pull out issues. Specialized has agreed to warranty the frame, however I have to pay labor to the shop to swap over components. (and they only have 1 color! the blue and red...)

I started thinking about this and since everything will be off anyways it might be a good time to upgrade as my shiv was the lowest model at the time with low end components that are now 4+ years old. I am trying to determine if I have thought of everything

Cables
11 Speed chain
Praxis BB30 conversion adapter
Shimano 105 5800 Crank
Shimano 105 5800 11 speed derailleur
Shimano 105 5800 RD
Shimano 105 5800 Cassette
Shimano DA 9000 2x11 Bar end shifters

I was only able to find 1 option for the bar end shifters is this correct or am I missing other options? Also found that the RD offers a short or long cage from my research is appears the long cage would be correct. I will be sticking with the standard 52/36 and 11/28 (was questioning this and crank arm length but it has worked well for me so far)

Last weird side question has anyone found the specialized Control towers separate the cable control right behind the stem? mine has the tallest and I would like to get the shorter options.

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv New Group Build? [Exige] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you never plan to use more than a 28 on the rear, then short cage should be perfectly fine. Higher than 28, go long cage.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv New Group Build? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What he said.

What components were on the bike that a 105 group would be considered an upgrade? Just curious.

I have a Shiv too. BB is still fine. Better than fine. It is sooo smooth riding the Shiv feels like a dream compared to my other bike. The seatpost collar is still fine, although I know it will fail while building the bike in a hotel room the day before a race...... Grumble.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv New Group Build? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
What he said.
What components were on the bike that a 105 group would be considered an upgrade? Just curious.

I have a Shiv too. BB is still fine. Better than fine. It is sooo smooth riding the Shiv feels like a dream compared to my other bike. The seatpost collar is still fine, although I know it will fail while building the bike in a hotel room the day before a race...... Grumble.

yeah I was surprised that my seatpost collar lasted so long with all the horror stories but I just have recently started to travel with the bike and change my fit so it was normally left alone.

It has 10 speed

Apex FD
Rival RD
Apex casette
Sram TT500 Shifters
FSA Gossamer BB30 Crank
Quote Reply