Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I know ridculous, but anyone actually bring/use a BELL for Oly/sprints bike on loop courses?
Quote | Reply
I'm semitrolling here, but it's an honest to god question -

Does anyone here regularly use a BELL on the bike portion of an Oly or sprint leg triathlon where there is a lot of bike traffic (hence you're passing TONS of people)?

I did a multiloop Oly course last month, and if you were going over 20mph, you were blowing by literally hundreds of cyclists on the same loop course. I had one close call where someone started drifting left in a curve, and I was already squeezed onto the double yellow line in the middle, and even with ample screaming "COMING LEFT!!!" she pretty much nearly wiped us both out. Plenty of other annoying situations as well getting stuck behind riders drifting left.

I'm seriously considering getting a bell to clear the way if I do this race or any other multiloop bike race in the future.

Anyone do so, and if you do, recs/tips?
Quote Reply
Re: I know ridculous, but anyone actually bring/use a BELL for Oly/sprints bike on loop courses? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bells aren't aero

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I know ridculous, but anyone actually bring/use a BELL for Oly/sprints bike on loop courses? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I'm semitrolling here, but it's an honest to god question -

Does anyone here regularly use a BELL on the bike portion of an Oly or sprint leg triathlon where there is a lot of bike traffic (hence you're passing TONS of people)?

I did a multiloop Oly course last month, and if you were going over 20mph, you were blowing by literally hundreds of cyclists on the same loop course. I had one close call where someone started drifting left in a curve, and I was already squeezed onto the double yellow line in the middle, and even with ample screaming "COMING LEFT!!!" she pretty much nearly wiped us both out. Plenty of other annoying situations as well getting stuck behind riders drifting left.

I'm seriously considering getting a bell to clear the way if I do this race or any other multiloop bike race in the future.

Anyone do so, and if you do, recs/tips?

I've never done it but not sure if it would help any better than screaming "COMING LEFT!!!" sometimes people are in their own world racing.
Quote Reply
Re: I know ridculous, but anyone actually bring/use a BELL for Oly/sprints bike on loop courses? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could mount a train horn to your bike and it still wouldn't help. At least half the field at a local race are first timers. They do not understand the rules. They do not grasp a concept of a race, complete with official rules, referees, and people that are actually there to race. In their head a tri is a stunt weekend thing like a mud runner or a walk for cancer, and it is done for fun. No different when they go out to their local MUP to walk a dog. So when someone yells at them to stay right or stop blocking, of course from that worldview they will think they are being mistreated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend who recently got into tri bought a road bike last year. First race he used it 3 of us were chatting after it was over and I hear:
  • Only question I have left is did you use your bell?
  • What bell ?
  • The one on your handlebar, did you use it ?
  • Ugh, I didn't know that was there.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ring it before you drain the lizard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the reason bells work for cx is because of the lower speeds...and that they aren't totally foreign. At 20+ mph I'm not sure anyone would hear a bell until you're already making the pass. Add an aero helmet (on the offender) to the mix and it's even worse.
Quote Reply
Re: I know ridculous, but anyone actually bring/use a BELL for Oly/sprints bike on loop courses? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Bells aren't aero

"Sounds" like a market opportunity...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I know ridculous, but anyone actually bring/use a BELL for Oly/sprints bike on loop courses? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
They do not grasp a concept of a race, complete with official rules, referees, and people that are actually there to race. In their head a tri is a stunt weekend thing like a mud runner or a walk for cancer, and it is done for fun. No different when they go out to their local MUP to walk a dog. So when someone yells at them to stay right or stop blocking, of course from that worldview they will think they are being mistreated.

Speaking of skewed worldviews...
I've been at local tri's where age-groupers yell at the drink station VOLUNTEERS for not holding the cups right.
Are you that guy??
Last edited by: spookini: Sep 20, 17 12:37
Quote Reply
Re: I know ridculous, but anyone actually bring/use a BELL for Oly/sprints bike on loop courses? [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
They do not grasp a concept of a race, complete with official rules, referees, and people that are actually there to race. In their head a tri is a stunt weekend thing like a mud runner or a walk for cancer, and it is done for fun. No different when they go out to their local MUP to walk a dog. So when someone yells at them to stay right or stop blocking, of course from that worldview they will think they are being mistreated.

I've been at local tri's where age-groupers yell at the drink station VOLUNTEERS for not holding the cups right.
Are you that guy??

Which tri? Sounds like you got some dicks racing there. Makes no difference how the volunteers are holding the cups. Know what can make a difference? Wasting time yelling at people instead of racing. Edit: bet some of those same guys pee on chairs in T2. :D
Last edited by: Dilbert: Sep 20, 17 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: I know ridculous, but anyone actually bring/use a BELL for Oly/sprints bike on loop courses? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
spookini wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Are you that guy??

Which tri? Sounds like you got some dicks racing there. Makes no difference how the volunteers are holding the cups. Know what can make a difference? Wasting time yelling at people instead of racing. Edit: bet some of those same guys pee on chairs in T2. :D

I actually strongly disagree that the bell is harder to hear than "coming left!!!!"

The high-pitched sound is REALLY distinguishable, even with high wind, even if it's not loud.

For sure, I heard someone dinging one during one of my races (wasn't at me I think - I was looking around frantically to see who was trying to pass me, but in retrospect, I'm sure it was either a spectator or a recreational rider on a slow bike dinging for fun) and it was super clear and crisp.

In either case, in the last multiloop I did, I literally would have had to scream "coming left!!!" for over half the bike course, as there were so many people on it - and I did get stuck behind slower riders quite a few times where a bell may have helped.
Last edited by: lightheir: Sep 20, 17 13:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesss!! I am that guy. I did it at a sprint in July. I am a terrible swimmer and it was a self-seeded pool swim so I waaayy toward the back. My bike is pretty good so I knew I would pass a fair amount of people. I put a bell on my aerobar nearer the stem than my hand. I installed it so I could pull the lever with my pinky. I used it throughout the ride. I think it worked pretty well and would do it again. I am never going to win so the safety factor outweighed the aero-loss. But it was pretty well shrouded by my hand.
Last edited by: bikerdude: Sep 20, 17 13:13
Quote Reply
Re: I know ridculous, but anyone actually bring/use a BELL for Oly/sprints bike on loop courses? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Bells aren't aero

Dead serious when I say I lost wayyyy more time due to slowsters blocking me (especially in the final 0.3 miles to the exit chute of the bike) in my last multiloop Oly bike than potential aero losses from adding a bike bell.

I'm sure a few bike bell dings would have at least alerted some of them to watch out for faster riders rather blocking the entire exit straightaway at <17mph.
Quote Reply
Re: I know ridculous, but anyone actually bring/use a BELL for Oly/sprints bike on loop courses? [bikerdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bikerdude wrote:
Yesss!! I am that guy. I did it at a sprint in July. I am a terrible swimmer and it was a self-seeded pool swim so I waaayy toward the back. My bike is pretty good so I knew I would pass a fair amount of people. I put a bell on my aerobar nearer the stem than my hand. I installed it so I could pull the lever with my pinky. I used it throughout the ride. I think it worked pretty well and would do it again. I am never going to win so the safety factor outweighed the aero-loss. But it was pretty well shrouded by my hand.

I'm almost certain I'm going to use one in my next multiloop race.

Which one did you buy ,and if you had to do it again, any other better models/features you'd look for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can see it now. Specialized tri-bell. Just like a normal bell, but 3 times as expensive. I hope to see a tri-bell A2 aero shootout from kiley and the gang in the early spring.

Can they make one out of carbon fiber?
Quote Reply
Re: I know ridculous, but anyone actually bring/use a BELL for Oly/sprints bike on loop courses? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I can see it now. Specialized tri-bell. Just like a normal bell, but 3 times as expensive. I hope to see a tri-bell A2 aero shootout from kiley and the gang in the early spring.

It'll probably happen...but no joke, if they had one that was low profile, mounted on standard aerobars without fuss and pretty much stayed out of the way - I'd buy it for 2-3x the typical $7 cost of one.

In fact, on multiloop Oly courses, I'd definitely say with confidence that that bell would save me probably as much time (if not more) as $2k Zipp aero wheels, since I often get stuck multiple times behind slowsters (particularly as we approach the exit chute, and the confused ones are drifting back and forth rather than hugging right.)
Last edited by: lightheir: Sep 20, 17 13:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen them in many MTB races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you put in just the right place, and give it just the right shape maybe it can act as a fairing and actually improve your aero. /pink
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Sep 20, 17 13:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race the XTERRA variety of tris and always have a bear bell going. I feel its a discrete way of letting folks know you're coming and typically heard well in advance of the approach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't raced in a while, but this is one of the best bike-related purchases I have ever made: https://www.spurcycle.com/.../better-bicycle-bell

I commute with my bike to SF (on Caltrain) and this bell has been a lifesaver - mostly for pedestrians who look straight at me and step into the road. It has also been fantastic when crossing the Golden Gate bridge. My buddy thought I was a total dork for having one on my road bike until we rode across the bridge together.

There are also quite a few bike messengers who ride around with whistles for the same purpose. Not sure which is more aero.

As an added benefit, this bell has got to be the most expensive on the market so it is perfect for triathletes! You even get to spend an extra $10 if you want to get it in black!!

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Electra bicycle pizza bell- makes a pleasant "bring-bring" sound on pulling the lever. They also make models that "ding-dong" depending on your preference. Mounted it upside down so my left pinky could pull the lever.

PS-Thanks-nobody every asks me for tri-advice. It is nice to be an "expert".
Last edited by: bikerdude: Sep 20, 17 14:25
Quote Reply
Re: I know ridculous, but anyone actually bring/use a BELL for Oly/sprints bike on loop courses? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

Only 3 times more expensive? That's a BARGAIN!

Sure they could make it out of CF. But since they can't ring CF the bell with be electronic. It will have a battery, electronic circuits, and a speaker. Then someone on ST will ask "can we change the ring" and then there will be a v2.0 upgrade. Programmable bell running Linux. It will cost as much as your smartphone. Then someone will figure hey why not just use a smartphone and there will be a bell app with a Bluetooth button on the handlebars. Then someone will recognize the absurdity of it all and release a mechanical tri racing bell made out of metal. But the price will be the same as the Linux one......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

Only 3 times more expensive? That's a BARGAIN!

Sure they could make it out of CF. But since they can't ring CF the bell with be electronic. It will have a battery, electronic circuits, and a speaker. Then someone on ST will ask "can we change the ring" and then there will be a v2.0 upgrade. Programmable bell running Linux. It will cost as much as your smartphone. Then someone will figure hey why not just use a smartphone and there will be a bell app with a Bluetooth button on the handlebars. Then someone will recognize the absurdity of it all and release a mechanical tri racing bell made out of metal. But the price will be the same as the Linux one......

You think you're being funny but https://www.kickstarter.com/...bellio-the-bike-bell

Quote Reply
Re: I know ridculous, but anyone actually bring/use a BELL for Oly/sprints bike on loop courses? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good god - I wanted to punch my screen, that idea was so idiotic.

Luckily, in the marketplace of ideas, it was awarded with an epic fail. My faith in humanity has a reprieve.
Quote Reply