Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ultegra Di2 and Behind the Seat Bottle Setup - Trek SC
Quote | Reply
So I have a new Trek SC on order that should be arriving in early October. In preparation, I want to figure out the best method for doing the following:

* setting up the Ultegra DI2 wiring - I will have the standard Shimano brake levers with the integrated shifters along with the aerobar shifters. The battery is in the seat tube, and I am looking for the absolute cleanest setup for the wires so everything is as hidden as possible but charging and other general maintenance does not require massive effort.
* best way to mount a single bottle behind the saddle for race day - training I will use the frame mounted bottles, but from everything I have seen it would appear a bottle between the arms and a second behind the saddle is the most aero setup for race day when two bottles are desired

Thanks in advance to folks with ideas and pics

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 and Behind the Seat Bottle Setup - Trek SC [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My setup
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 and Behind the Seat Bottle Setup - Trek SC [madmax231] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why doesn't my pics show up?
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 and Behind the Seat Bottle Setup - Trek SC [madmax231] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another try
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But you have mechanical shifting...

OP, search for davews09 posts recently on his junction A being at the saddle. Im a thread about Diamondback customer service.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 and Behind the Seat Bottle Setup - Trek SC [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The SC is pretty much set up for clean cable routing internally. I wish they would have put the Madone cable management in it. Only the junction A shows.

They have a new seat and storage/bottle system I ordered. Looks like a better solution. Might check on that

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mount the junction A on top of the stem cover or behind the saddle. Behind the saddle will require 2 junction B's stored in the front end and then drilling a hole in the seatpost to route the wires outside and connect to junction A. zip tie junction A to seat rails.

Behind the saddle bottle vastly depends on your seat and fore/aft position. Easiest is usually just using zip ties to tie the cage to the seat. Or look at the mounting options from xlab.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 and Behind the Seat Bottle Setup - Trek SC [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the saddle mount depending on fore/aft and saddle type. I prefer zip ties with a strong cage. Get good, tough zip ties and check them before every ride. A good idea to put new ones one before a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is an alternate junction mounting to consider: Put it inside the top tube storage.

I punched one small hole and fed the wires through one at a time and connected to the junction and dfly. The stem cover has markings on it specifically intended to mark "cut here" close to the base bar. One wire tie on the bundle under the cover then one placed over the cover. One more set directly in front of the top tube storage and the final one inside the storage box once everything is pushed though.

For me, this placement is the result of using several different stems and extensions over time and unmounting, remounting, unmounting, remounting many times.

All of this said, if you are confident in your setup and your extension doesn't interfere then just tape/Velcro the junction to the top of the stem cover. I had it there for months.

-Rekabdot

Last edited by: RekabDot: Sep 20, 17 23:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
* best way to mount a single bottle behind the saddle for race day - training I will use the frame mounted bottles

Practice grabbing the bottle behind the saddle in training. Can be tricky especially in racing stress situations. For that reason I do not use the behind the saddle solution, but not anyone is as clumsy as me ...
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 and Behind the Seat Bottle Setup - Trek SC [RekabDot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like starting with the junction a on the stem might be smart. Ride it a bit this fall to make sure all is good, then this winter try moving towards the bento box or seat post idea described here.

Behind the seat seems like zip ties is simplest. I have had behind the seat bottles before, so grabbing them while riding isn't that bad. I will figure the exact configuration once the bike arrives. Is there a favorite cage that seems to be the most robust for handling the stress of being zip tied and not launching a water bottle? I haven't had behind the seat bottles since I used simple metal cages and went with the heavier gauge mountain bike cages behind the saddle.

Ryan
Quote Reply