Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oceans/ Swells, Rip Tides & Such
Quote | Reply
Jose is rolling off northern New England the in the next couple of days. The news is full of the riptide stay of the water type stuff which makes perfect sense. However, the forecast is for the 80's this weekend. A beach day after 9/15 is rare for Maine. I'll see weather there is a small craft advisory before taking kids to the ocean, but am curious if I should expect it to be safe 3-4 days post Jose.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceans/ Swells, Rip Tides & Such [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You just have to go and see what the conditions are, good, big surf could linger for sometime, especially with other storms backing it up.

And the rip tides are not from the storm directly, they are not some entity unto themselves. They are a result of big surf and the surge coming up to the shore. All that water has to return somehow, and over time it makes a trough in the sandy bottom and that becomes your riptide. I really think they need to take the tide out of riptide, makes people think it is something like the tide coming in or out.

They are not predictable like the tides, in fact it can happen in a flash and then just be over, or move down the beach somewhere else. A riptide condition just means they are possible, no telling where and when though. Like a lightening storm, probably coming, but tough to pinpoint where, how often, and how long it will last.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would be good open water training for the kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find a protected cove if you're worried.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you go out, please post some pics. I'm a displaced Mainer.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Oceans/ Swells, Rip Tides & Such [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I really think they need to take the tide out of riptide, makes people think it is something like the tide coming in or out.

They are trying.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Oceans/ Swells, Rip Tides & Such [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived on that island for 7 summers. *sniffles* with homesickness

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply