Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Another fit: This time with video! [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is pretty normal for an Adamo. If you cannot see a bucket load of seat you are riding it wrong. Typically they are set up with the rails level or slightly tipped down at the front.
He is quite effectively very far forward at the moment, hence the open hip angle.
Neither is he a toe dipper as suggested, look at the angle of the foot to the leg, not the foot to the ground.
It looks toe down because he is forward.
I would say it is one of the better positions I have seen on Slow-witch, leave it alone.
Quote Reply
Re: Another fit: This time with video! [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
All I know is I have never seen so much of a seat poking out someones rear before.

This is not a good reason to change OPs saddle position

Quote:
IMO you should be comfortable on it slightly more forward without moving your position.

Why? What if his undercarriage is different from yours? Maybe his balls are way bigger so he needs to sit more forward than you?

Quote:
It took me a while to work out my Dash split saddle but mine is pressing well into the back of my balls.

If your saddle is pressing into the back of your balls you have your balls positioned incorrectly.

Quote:
I have to have it almost level otherwise I find I have to continue to pushing myself back in the seat.

This is something I actually agree with. My Dash is level. But different saddles are different. So yea, not a valid reason for the OP to change.

Quote:
I also think it is hard to tell the fact you are under no pedalling load and spinning so fast.

A 34x11 on a trainer is a fair enough amount of load. Spinning fast doesn't really take anything away from his fit video, especially if that is his normal cadence.

Quote:
I always adjust my seat and it feels good and then as you warm up or fatigue I feel it's just not right. It took some time until it just felt right all ride every ride stopping to adjust it mm by mm during a training session.

That is a fair thought process, but again, not really a great reason to suggest moving around the OPs saddle.

Quote:
Your position isn't bad by any stretch so I would take it to the road and tweak it to best suit. As a proponent of short cranks riding 160m myself I am questioning if 140 even for your height will be too short. I'd been keen to find out how they work for you regardless

Tl;dr

OPs position is "not bad." Yea, it is actually quite good. Much better than most "critique my fit" threads that pop up on here.. Since the position is new, OP should just go out and ride a lot. Then come back the request updates. There is nothing in the fit video that suggests an immediate change is necessary for improvement.
[/quote]
What's you issue and makes you the expert? The man wants peoples opinion and I gave mine simply saying I think the seat doesn't look right to me. Check the thread he asked my opinion and I'm not asking for your shit advice.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am literally a professional fitter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol everyone is on here good for you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with threads like these is that you get a few kernels of good advice, but mostly shit opinions with no basis in fit experience. The longer you are on ST, however, the more threads like these you see and the better you get at figuring out who actually knows what they are talking about and consequently who NOT to listen to.

So yea, I don't really care if the OP listens to my advice or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So why go to town on me for purely saying I think his saddle could go a few mm further forward. That was basically my only opinion. He asked how I gauged things and I said it in my opinion. You may well be a guru and you may well be a hubbard none of us know but you look like a doosh attacking me when he asked for my advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
So why go to town on me for purely saying I think his saddle could go a few mm further forward. That was basically my only opinion. He asked how I gauged things and I said it in my opinion. You may well be a guru and you may well be a hubbard none of us know but you look like a doosh attacking me when he asked for my advice.

The OP done the right thing, he asked for opinions as well as reasons for those opinions.
Listen to everything, throw the garbage, but keep an open mind.

Your reasons were garbage and you were called out on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic,
Thanks for the idea, I will try some different seat angles once I get on the road. You may end up being correct about the crank length. How tall are you on a160mm? I'll try what I have for now. That doesn't mean I'm not open to changing things, but for now, I'm going to stick with the equipment I have. That said, anything having to do with moving things around in that context is up for grabs.
Quote Reply
Re: Another fit: This time with video! [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

lyrrad wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

The OP done the right thing, he asked for opinions as well as reasons for those opinions.
Listen to everything, throw the garbage, but keep an open mind.

Your reasons were garbage and you were called out on them.

Called out on them in your opinion. If someone asks for my help I oblige and it was complimentary and minimal about adjusting the seat forward as I said IMO. It is up to him to decide or not to listen rather as he asked me directly rather than you keyboard warriors with no proof of credible bike fitting ability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc,
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll try to get out on the road and see how everything works out.
Quote Reply
Re: Another fit: This time with video! [philg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philg,
Good catch! Actually tonight, I will be cutting the extensions so the shifters sit right in my hands. I just hadn't gotten around to doing that when the video was shot.

Now as far as where my elbows sit, the point is just behind the pad, which is where I thought that Dan said to place them in an article. However I will keep what you mentioned in mind to see if a different placement gives more control.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Another fit: This time with video! [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK,

Thanks for your thoughtful observations. Your position looks quite good! I'll take a look at the heel positioning and saddle tilt.
Quote Reply
Re: Another fit: This time with video! [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad,
Thanks, that is a nice confirmation from you.
Quote Reply
Re: Another fit: This time with video! [KWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha apparently I've been called out on my advice by 'experts' so surprised you'd ask. I'm 6' foot with long legs for my height and trialled down to 150 but stressed my back too much. That said I probably didn't gibe myself long enough on them but the pedal stroke just felt too short to maintain a good pedal circle action. I contacted Courtney Ogden who didn't give me much but said it is best you decide what is best for you through experiment hence I'd like to know how 140 goes for you as that is extreme. All I know if you look at his bike from just a few years ago it looked short but not 145 from the post. Someone told me he was running 160 but I can't be sure. I trialled every 5mm length and 160 just felt natural.

My point was IMO your seat looks like it could go forward a fraction but if it is comfortable, you aren't constantly adjusting position, can maintain it for the a race or long ride then leave it. It is all well and good in theory but I like to ride with allen keys and adjust from a base line by what feels best. Good luck with finding what works for you.

http://courtneyogden.com/winning-an-ironman-on-145mm-cranks/
Last edited by: Shambolic: Sep 21, 17 6:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc,
Don't worry, I'm listening to you. I'm trying to assimilate all the various info and take from it what I can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shambolic,

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't be surprised then that the difference between our heights (6' to 5'4") would say that 140 is proportionally longer for me than the 160 is for you. That said, who knows if there is an absolute point or if it is all related to leg size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hence I'd like to know how it works for you but I think there must be a limit somewhere
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have a very solid fit. You just need to develop positional fitness at this point.

Quite a bit of what makes a fit "good" vs. "bad" is posture. Your contact points can be "perfect" (although the word "perfect" is fairly meaningless without context, but you get my drift) but bad posture can ruin the fit.

So keep good postural awareness in mind (anterior pelvic rotation, relaxed upper body, neutral head position, relaxed hand/forearms, siiiinking into the armpads) and over time your postural fitness will improve and you'll reap the rewards of your good starting position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would it be easier to go get a professional fit done for a small fee? It sure would be easier then sifting through the riff raff in here. You're probably gonna go backwards listening to the wrong advice too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seat is too high. It's causing your hips to rock at the bottom of the pedal stroke.
Try dropping it 1", in 1/4" increments. (Dropping it all at once will feel too low.)

Thanks. I'll send you an Paypal invoice for the fitting fee.
Quote Reply
Re: Another fit: This time with video! [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
Seat is too high. It's causing your hips to rock at the bottom of the pedal stroke.
Try dropping it 1", in 1/4" increments. (Dropping it all at once will feel too low.)

Thanks. I'll send you an Paypal invoice for the fitting fee.

Be careful passing comment as there is only one bike expert fitting sheriff jkhayc in town. He'll call you out...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha no need to post a photo of yourself sheriff
Quote Reply
Re: Another fit: This time with video! [MJI16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJI16,
Thanks for the warning. I'll keep it in mind. Right now an actual fitting is not going to be possible. That said, what are you seeing and which advice do you recommend I steer clear of?
Quote Reply
Re: Another fit: This time with video! [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini,
I'm sorry I can't actually pay you, but thanks for offering your advice for free anyway. I'm going to try moving the seat down a bit. Would you recommend lowering the front end the same amount as the seat?
Quote Reply

Prev Next