Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: but...but..but...its all Hillary's fault [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
A Canadian general made headlines last week when he told Parliament of a longstanding but rarely discussed policy by which the U.S. is not required to defend Canada from missile attack.

And oddly, I don't know anyone here losing sleep. Go figure.

Look around on the LR. It sure appears there are a lot of wet beds up in the Great White North.
Quote Reply
Re: but...but..but...its all Hillary's fault [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
Relax, relax....we know you're all worried up there that NK will launch a nuke at Canada and although we have no obligation to protect you, we will do so. So, sleep tight, we'll check for monsters in your closet before tucking you in for the night.

A Canadian general made headlines last week when he told Parliament of a longstanding but rarely discussed policy by which the U.S. is not required to defend Canada from missile attack. https://www.usnews.com/...m-northerly-neighbor

Tha k you for paying for our protection with you tax dollars, by the way. Means the world to us!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
My exception would be Tillerson who I believe has the "real world" experience to handle the job/situations

I agree. I think Tillerson is showing he is the polar opposite of Trump in all the good ways.

He is knowledgeable and if he doesn't know something will do his homework. He doesn't use his position to brag or to promote himself. His speeches are restrained and diplomatic. He doesn't use twitter and is definitely not thin skinned. He is also used to negotiating by actually negotiating instead of throwing personal insults and trying to get his way by bullying.

thanks for the response.

I read your history of NK above and thought it was a good synopsis. I think it really brings home the fact that while NK has been a "problem" for 60 years, the change to the son and the issues faced by Obama and Trump are really at a different level. I didn't think it could get much worse but it has....

I am still not entirely convinced they are an imminent threat but I admit no one else is sending missles up in the air at the moment.

I hope, as an international community, we find common ground and a solution here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
The only difference is Trump's threats. In August he said there would be a "war of fire and fury" but he didn't act.

Yeah, I don't see how anyone who criticized Obama over his "red line" (which I did) comment wouldn't also criticize this.

Bluster only degrades the credibility of the of the White House on the world stage.
Quote Reply
Re: but...but..but...its all Hillary's fault [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Part of my unease with Trump on this is I don't trust him to keep it at the bluster/rhetoric level. He has no track record on this sort of thing and I'm afraid he will want to take his toys out to play kind of like when he got in the semi and was pretending to drive (and in my mind was definitely making the vroom vroom noises).

His talk and actions also set us at odds with out allies. The Iran deal was not just a bilateral agreement. So when you call it dumb, you call our allies who took part dumb. When you talk about totally destroying NK it makes everyone on edge. I don't see people like Merkel responding well to this and taking us seriously. Part of the measured response is treating our allies with respect and engaging them.

In a lot of circumstances I would say it is not a great idea to have so many generals running around the administration. It blurs the lines on civilian control of the military. But Kelly and McMaster (my knowledge of Mattis is very limited) seem to have very strong senses of duty to the country. I have much more confidence in them keeping things from getting out of hand than I do Trump.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: but...but..but...its all Hillary's fault [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I note sarcasm in your tone...
Quote Reply
Re: but...but..but...its all Hillary's fault [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
The only difference is Trump's threats. In August he said there would be a "war of fire and fury" but he didn't act.

Yeah, I don't see how anyone who criticized Obama over his "red line" (which I did) comment wouldn't also criticize this.

Bluster only degrades the credibility of the of the White House on the world stage.

I just went back and watched the fire and fury video/quote and the red line video. He (Trump) attaches fire and fury to NK simply continuing to make threats toward the US (vs. taking action).

I agree with you that these fall in similar categories and should be at least equally criticized. After watching again I think Trump's is even worse/less thought out (or at least Obama was more well spoken when mis-speaking).

That said, I continue to disagree that bluster only degrades credibility. Appropriately timed and spoken bluster by a super power receives appropriate attention and action. I would say that utilizing it in a manner that cant be or isn't backed up (as in the cases above) degrades future bluster and the overall credibility of the country.
Quote Reply
Re: but...but..but...its all Hillary's fault [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His talk and actions also set us at odds with out allies. The Iran deal was not just a bilateral agreement. So when you call it dumb, you call our allies who took part dumb.

The Iran deal is another example of Trump's bluster. He said in the campaign that it was the worst deal ever and that he would rip it up on day 1. I don't think he mentioned again until his speech to the UN.

The problem is that the Iran deal is a good one. The idea that you can sanction your way out of these things has never worked yet it seems to be the fall back position over and over. If sanctions don't work, then the only solution is more sanctions is the logic of the day. Meanwhile, despite sanctions, both Iran and North Korea developed a nuclear program over the past decades. Instead of welcoming new ideas that might work, the thinking is to do more of the same. It makes no sense.

I think the comments about Iran were really to appease Israel and Saudi Arabia who would like nothing better than to increase sanctions on Iran. I'm not sure why he is suddenly pivoting towards Iran after 9 months of silence but I can only guess it is because of those 2 countries,

Last edited by: Sanuk: Sep 20, 17 13:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Part of my unease with Trump on this is I don't trust him to keep it at the bluster/rhetoric level. He has no track record on this sort of thing and I'm afraid he will want to take his toys out to play kind of like when he got in the semi and was pretending to drive (and in my mind was definitely making the vroom vroom noises). I don't share this unease for any number of reasons. Some of them because of what I think about Trump (his sense of moral conviction towards anything doesn't rise to this) , and some for reasons you note below

His talk and actions also set us at odds with out allies. The Iran deal was not just a bilateral agreement. So when you call it dumb, you call our allies who took part dumb. When you talk about totally destroying NK it makes everyone on edge. I don't see people like Merkel responding well to this and taking us seriously. Part of the measured response is treating our allies with respect and engaging them. I agree in principle with this (particularly the measured part). That said, at times you have to say things that your allies may not want to hear. Sometimes you have to challenge them (and the status quo). You and I most likely agree that message can be sent without some/all the rhetoric currently being used. But any number of points made yesterday were ones that I think have needed to be made and haven't been (granted I wish they were made better).

In a lot of circumstances I would say it is not a great idea to have so many generals running around the administration. It blurs the lines on civilian control of the military. But Kelly and McMaster (my knowledge of Mattis is very limited) seem to have very strong senses of duty to the country. I have much more confidence in them keeping things from getting out of hand than I do Trump. I agree and see point #1 above as to why I am not concerned to the degree you are. But I could have said the same thing (for me) going all the way back to George HW Bush)[/quote]
Quote Reply
Re: but...but..but...its all Hillary's fault [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
I note sarcasm in your tone...

Well, yes and no. While I am grateful to live where I do in a safe country, I just find it hilarious when Americans try to use the fact that they pay for our protection as some kind if insult, as if the joke is on us. It kind of brings up the discussion in the other thread about the obligation of the us to the rest of the world. It is in America's best interest to do so, so, here we are. I don't think reminding Canadians who pays for most of our defense is going to illicit the reaction you seem to think it would.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Part of my unease with Trump on this is I don't trust him to keep it at the bluster/rhetoric level. He has no track record on this sort of thing and I'm afraid he will want to take his toys out to play kind of like when he got in the semi and was pretending to drive (and in my mind was definitely making the vroom vroom noises).

His talk and actions also set us at odds with out allies. The Iran deal was not just a bilateral agreement. So when you call it dumb, you call our allies who took part dumb. When you talk about totally destroying NK it makes everyone on edge. I don't see people like Merkel responding well to this and taking us seriously. Part of the measured response is treating our allies with respect and engaging them.

In a lot of circumstances I would say it is not a great idea to have so many generals running around the administration. It blurs the lines on civilian control of the military. But Kelly and McMaster (my knowledge of Mattis is very limited) seem to have very strong senses of duty to the country. I have much more confidence in them keeping things from getting out of hand than I do Trump.

I love how the media and people like you take a snippet from Trump's speech, twist it and run with it. Trump didn't just toss out a line stating he intended to destroy North Korea. Instead, in his speech he said, if the United States are forced to defend itself or its allies against North Korea we will have no choice but to totally destroy the rogue nation. He's right. That's exactly what would need to happen. I guess he should have stated that we would sit back and allow our allies to defend themselves while sipping tea. His UN speech was actually pretty good for him. But hey, CNN said...

Few other things.

War with Russia and China? Neither are going to go to war with the United States if North Korea attacks and we are forced to respond (see Trump's speech). In addition, the only people I hear wanting war with Russia are anti-Trump. I have never in my life heard so many irresponsible statements from leading Democratic political figures in regards to a country who may not be our ally, but they aren't our enemy either. In fact, we need to try and work with Russia much like we need to work with China. Re-starting the Cold War because you lost an election is not a very intelligent thing to do, yet that's exactly what seems to be on the agenda of the Democratic leadership and their supporters.

As for Iran. The deal was a bad deal. Done in darkness by Obama in an attempt to provide himself a legacy. Much like Bill Clinton's deal with North Korea in 1994, the Iran deal will go down in flames, as it should.

Oh, and you must be smart enough to know that Trump doesn't have the power to simply play with his military toys and attack. There are many reasons to go after Trump, his speech at the UN and his talk of North Korea in that speech is not one of them.
Quote Reply
Re: but...but..but...its all Hillary's fault [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are many reasons to go after Trump, his speech at the UN

What are some of those reasons?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He doesn't like Trump, isn't that enough?
Quote Reply
Re: but...but..but...its all Hillary's fault [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He doesn't like Trump, isn't that enough?

But he loves Trump.

I'm just curious what it is he finds objectionable in Trump's speech.

Quote Reply
Re: but...but..but...its all Hillary's fault [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
Trump doesn't have the power to simply play with his military toys and attack.

I disagree with just about everything you wrote, but I'll pick this one.

Yes, the President has exactly that power. He can order a nuclear launch from, say, a boomer sub with no need for concurrence or permission from any other branch of government or the military.

Those receiving the orders could refuse, but they'd be breaking the law by doing so. Or if enough people thought he was nuts, the Veep and other senior leaders could try to rapidly invoke Article 4 of the 25th and remove the President from power on grounds of being unfit. But that'd take hours, at a minimum.

But on paper the President has absolute authority to order an attack.
Quote Reply

Prev Next