Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pedals - Difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra SPD-SL?
Quote | Reply
Besides weight, what's the difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra road pedals?

Worth the extra $60?

Also, there are 2 versions of the Dura Ace pedals. One that has a 4mm longer axel. What does that 4mm do for you?

Michael
Last edited by: NewbieTri100: Sep 19, 17 20:51
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals - Difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra SPD-SL? [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got DA on one bike and Ultegra on another, and apart from the price I honestly couldn't tell you the difference. Both are old (DA is 10 years old, Ultegra is 12) both have done tens of thousands of miles without any problems. I get through quite a few cleats though.

Get the Ultegra and save a few pennies would be my advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals - Difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra SPD-SL? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
I've got DA on one bike and Ultegra on another, and apart from the price I honestly couldn't tell you the difference. Both are old (DA is 10 years old, Ultegra is 12) both have done tens of thousands of miles without any problems. I get through quite a few cleats though.

Get the Ultegra and save a few pennies would be my advice.

Thank you cartsman.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals - Difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra SPD-SL? [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NewbieTri100 wrote:

Worth the extra $60?

Also, there are 2 versions of the Dura Ace pedals. One that has a 4mm longer axel. What does that 4mm do for you?

Michael

I use both, the original DA SPD-SL's and some newer Ultegras DA has a very slightly lower stack, but when I'm on the bike I can't tell them apart.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dura-ace has a lower stack height,
It also has a central roller bearing as well as the standard ball bearings either end as in the ultegra.
4mm option can be helpful for large feet or highly angled feet as there is greater clearance.
They last forever.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals - Difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra SPD-SL? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
NewbieTri100 wrote:

Worth the extra $60?

Michael

I use both, the original DA SPD-SL's and some newer Ultegras DA has a very slightly lower stack, but when I'm on the bike I can't tell them apart.

Doesn't seem like much of a difference between the two.

Thank you for your input.
Last edited by: NewbieTri100: Sep 20, 17 6:39
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals - Difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra SPD-SL? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
It also has a central roller bearing as well as the standard ball bearings either end as in the ultegra.
4mm option can be helpful for large feet or highly angled feet as there is greater clearance.
They last forever.

Don't think I need the 4mm option. Does the lower stack height have any advantages?

Thank you.

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no problem.

IIRC 2 other differences, that won't matter at all to you,

the release tension can be adjusted higher on the Dura Ace. Good if you are a sprinter who pulls up really hard on acceleration. Doesn't matter in the least for a TT'er or triathlete.

cornering clearance is slightly higher for the Dura Ace, due to the thinner pedal body. again, doesn't matter to a triathlete.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NewbieTri100 wrote:
lyrrad wrote:
They last forever.

Don't think I need the 4mm option. Does the lower stack height have any advantages?

Thank you.

Michael

While what lyrrad wrote about the extra 4mm spindle length is true, the primary reason is to help riders get their feet in the vertical plane with their hips and knees. It improves power transfer. It's effective when pedal washers and cleat positioning won't quite do the job.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals - Difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra SPD-SL? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
NewbieTri100 wrote:
lyrrad wrote:
They last forever.

Thank you.

Michael

FatandSlow, funny name :)

While what lyrrad wrote about the extra 4mm spindle length is true, the primary reason is to help riders get their feet in the vertical plane with their hips and knees. It improves power transfer. It's effective when pedal washers and cleat positioning won't quite do the job.

It is extra 4mm better for most riders? What's the scenario when I'd be better with the shorter axel?

I'm 5'9", weigh about 160. I have next to no hips, horrible flexibility, and bird arms and legs. All of my weight is in my chest and back. What do you think?

Michael.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In that case you are better off going somewhere where you can A/B the pedals or get a fit like a RETUL. I would say in general, most riders are fine with the standard axle length and spacers, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I read somewhere once that there is no reason to buy DA over Ultegra unless someone is paying you to ride, and I'd tend to agree. Go with the ultegra.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience, I have a set of Ultegra carbon 6700 pedals and a set of 105 5800 carbon pedals. Aside from cost and slight weight differences I can't tell the difference in performance between the two. I've also had the entry level R540 pedals and performance wise it didn't feel much different (but they were heavier but did feel more solid than my carbon pedals when initial snapping in standing up....but either didn't affect my performance).

I believe the latest gen Ultegra pedals (R8000) now have an 4mm wider axle option too.

My opinion is get whatever is cheapest if you are price sensitive or go Dura Ace if that is what you want (but don't mind the price). You most likely won't feel a difference from my experience.
Quote Reply