Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive been around ST opinionating. And, i moved here to PEN 2013. And did 2 Challenge events here & volunteered at all others. I also did ITU & have raced an IM in that time.

I admit I thought Challenge could work until the city then turned it to a non profit society. They implemented exactly what got them broke pre Graham Fraser in early 90s. They then gave full refunds year 1 and lost 500 registrations to Whistler. These sequence of decisions And in the subsequent 5 years participants are down across board, races are closing...sport contracting, put this race down.

This said ITU festival a big success. Mike Brown still committed to tri in Penticton. Just needs to get away from an expense line with no return (license fee of Challenge)

I predict cool things coming 2018 & beyond!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
The old IMC was special. I spectated for over a decade, but for various reasons only competed in it once.

What always blew me away was how people were so quick to abandon the event that essentially just had a different logo on it the year after.
They loved Penticton, they loved the course...
Sure there were no Kona slots, but is that all people came for?

That's kind of a summary of the $64k question. The psychology around this one is rather fascinating to me and not one I pretend to really understand.

I assumed I was somewhat unique because Kona was admittedly important to me and I was incredibly fortunate to be competitive there. I'm not entirely clear as to why IM had and still has such attraction to those who could care less about Kona. Possibly it's just a chain of "connections" where the MOPers are connected to the FOPers and the FOPers are connected to a goal like Kona. Mind you, it clearly works in both directions too, i.e., FOPers are also very dependent on the camaraderie with MOPers, et al.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [hutchy_belfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hutchy_belfast wrote:
Given that you go on about your advanced age, I am curious about how you 'race' these 4 events in 9 days? I'm half your age and would struggle to flat out race two events 9 days apart and wouldn't dream of 3. Even after a standalone 5k, I'm not race fit for 4 or 5 days.
Participation is a different kettle of fish however....

Luck. But also seems it could be training. I keep my weight at race weight all year. And I try to train 2 to 3 hours a day all year long. But the number 1 thing is staying healthy.

Plus a lot of it is mental! When I did the triple at Bend, meaning, 3 races in 24 hours, if I were to just listen to the body, I was toast after 1 race. But mentally, I just got to the starting line again and was just able to do it. Now, once the races are done, I am toast, so this again might be the mental part.

Give it a try, is a lot of fun.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
The old IMC was special. I spectated for over a decade, but for various reasons only competed in it once.

What always blew me away was how people were so quick to abandon the event that essentially just had a different logo on it the year after.
They loved Penticton, they loved the course...
Sure there were no Kona slots, but is that all people came for?

I tried to tell you guys 5 years ago that it was all about the M-Dot logo being attached to the race. The tea leaves were there, you just needed to know how to read them. Once again, not gloating but I struggle to see why you guys struggle or struggled to see that. The M-Dot logo is that powerful.

Kona slots are not really a draw but for maybe 20% of the field. 5-10% that realistically have a chance on a given day, 10-15% delusional people. The other 80% just want to race an Ironman event.

I feel the same way about Whistler as many of you do about Penticton. I love Whistler. It's one of my favorite places on the planet. I'd be super bummed if Ironman Canada moved to another location. I know it basically wouldn't miss a beat when it comes to registration numbers for the new IMC. I also know Challenge Whistler or Rev3 Whistler or whatever wouldn't be a success.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10x

Done both IMCdA 2009 and IMC 2011. IMCda was beautiful as it was my first IM but absolutely no comparison to the Penticton IMC. I've done IMWI 2x as well but IMC Penticton holds a very special place in my heart that I wish I could race again. Everything about the experience was epic, especially 1x swim, bike and run legs. Haven't done a IM for 6 years (family, job, dog, etc.) but I'd drop everything and anyone in a heartbeat to do the IM-branded IMC Penticton again.

And for me, it is about it being an IM-dot branded race - Challenge and Rev3 simply don't hold weight with me.
Last edited by: CastIron: Oct 2, 17 22:39
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [CastIron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CastIron wrote:
10x

Done both IMCdA 2009 and IMC 2011. IMCda was beautiful as it was my first IM but absolutely no comparison to the Penticton IMC. I've done IMWI 2x as well but IMC Penticton holds a very special place in my heart that I wish I could race again. Everything about the experience was epic, especially 1x swim, bike and run legs. Haven't done a IM for 6 years (family, job, dog, etc.) but I'd drop everything and anyone in a heartbeat to do the IM-branded IMC Penticton again.

And for me, it is about it being an IM-dot branded race - Challenge and Rev3 simply don't hold weight with me.

I totally agree Penticton is an amazing place to race at. Hoping the ITU multisport festival is back in 5 years.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first IMC '97. Penticton was a special place back in the day... on race week. Businesses totally shut down on race day, the throngs of spectators in town, on Richter / Yellow Lake, Steve King, the scene outside the Hog's Breathe / and signing the race poster. Raced it 4 or 5 times, spectated probably just as many times.

I remember people crossing the line and going to sleep outside the hotel on the sidewalk to make sure they got in the next year. My last race there in 2011, there were over 3000 people, after an immediate sellout onsite.

I hear ya.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sto wrote:
My first IMC '97. Penticton was a special place back in the day... on race week. Businesses totally shut down on race day, the throngs of spectators in town, on Richter / Yellow Lake, Steve King, the scene outside the Hog's Breathe / and signing the race poster. Raced it 4 or 5 times, spectated probably just as many times.

I remember people crossing the line and going to sleep outside the hotel on the sidewalk to make sure they got in the next year. My last race there in 2011, there were over 3000 people, after an immediate sellout onsite.

I hear ya.

Steve King is an AMAZING announcer!!

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
Way smaller sized events - but it seems like the local races (Cultus, Oliver, etc) are all selling out

Selling out? Seriously?

For that to be the case would have required a max limit of 220 athletes at the Oliver Half Iron (Results here) and a max limit of around 60 athletes Cultus Lake (Results Here).

Oliver had around 1,200 when I first did it 6-ish years ago.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the small races are definitly not selling out!

that said, cultus lake was closer to 500 participant..... over 5 or 6 races on the same day. 60 is low balling ;)

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:

that said, cultus lake was closer to 500 participant..... over 5 or 6 races on the same day. 60 is low balling ;)

60 in the half.

I didn’t count spectators.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayPeeWhy wrote:
jonnyo wrote:

60 in the half.

I didn’t count spectators.

triathlon here ( west coast) certainly seems to be on the decline. Yet there is lots of interest in the extreme type tri's. Maybe the draw for many was/is doing something really tough and unusual. The courses now are easier/more common. The bragging rights are diminished. If you want demand create scarcity. when there were only a handful of IM events in NA there were line ups and it was something just to get in let alone finish it. The lure is lost when the experience is common perhaps.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This probably deserves a new thread but Super League will take the traditional end of August date in Penticton:

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/...athlon-heads-canada/

I wonder what kind of crossover in participants with the Kelowna Apple the weekend before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
This probably deserves a new thread but Super League will take the traditional end of August date in Penticton:

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/...athlon-heads-canada/

I wonder what kind of crossover in participants with the Kelowna Apple the weekend before.

Sounds like a win for Penticton. Super League has to carry a lot more panache than Challenge.
Quote Reply

Prev Next