Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMAZ vs IMLOUISVILLE (October version)
Quote | Reply
For those who have raced IMAZ and Louisville (October race, not August)...how would you compare the races. If you were doing one of these again, which would you choose and why?

Arizona looks like better conditions historically (less humidity, less wind) if you are trying to PR.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ vs IMLOUISVILLE (October version) [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've raced both courses, although I did IMKY on labor day. I can say that the IMAZ course is windy compared to IMKY, especially in the afternoon if you are out on the course. Swim at IMAZ is into the sun, while IMKY doesn't have that, but the start is the huge line up. Both are good family races, where they can see you a lot on the course. I'm headed back to both, after a visit next year to IM Wisc.
jsm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:

Arizona looks..... better...... if you are trying to PR.

If that is your criteria, then, yes, choose Arizona. If you want the "better" race, then choose Louisville.

ETA: As a 2x IM Louisville (in August) finisher, I wouldn't be recommending Lou if it wasn't in October now.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Sep 19, 17 13:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
For those who have raced IMAZ and Louisville (October race, not August)...how would you compare the races. If you were doing one of these again, which would you choose and why?

Arizona looks like better conditions historically (less humidity, less wind) if you are trying to PR.

Thoughts?

I think it will come down to strengths and weaknesses. Louisville is flat run, papiago park is only 2x now but still a beast at IMAZ. The swim has potential to be faster at Louisville but you have a longer t1 as well. Bike course at Louisville is certainly harder than AZ but also gives you more chances to get up and stretch it out.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done them both and agree with other comments and I will add that you may, or may not, want to consider losing daylight to train for IMAZ. Mornings and evenings are getting darker here in the Midwest. I'm coming to the conclusion that IMMOO's scheduled race date is in the sweet spot for available training options during the week for me.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ vs IMLOUISVILLE (October version) [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Fall IMLOU going to be wetsuit legal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is this "beastly" papiago park that you mention?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

Thoughts?

I think it will come down to strengths and weaknesses. Louisville is flat run, papiago park is only 2x now but still a beast at IMAZ. The swim has potential to be faster at Louisville but you have a longer t1 as well. Bike course at Louisville is certainly harder than AZ but also gives you more chances to get up and stretch it out.

Is that (papago park) still part of the run course at IMAZ, I am doing the race in November and ran the course when I was down there for work....and just looked online, it does not appear to be part of the run course?
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ vs IMLOUISVILLE (October version) [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
I've done them both and agree with other comments and I will add that you may, or may not, want to consider losing daylight to train for IMAZ. Mornings and evenings are getting darker here in the Midwest. I'm coming to the conclusion that IMMOO's scheduled race date is in the sweet spot for available training options during the week for me.

Good point...but luckily I do 90% of my training indoors....so no issues with daylight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gauging the times from last year, I'm not entirely sure if there is anything on the course considered "beastly". I could be wrong, but I'll be out there with you this year to see it first-hand.

358 ft gain on the run, pancake flat.
Last edited by: RBeck: Sep 19, 17 19:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

Thoughts?

Is that (papago park) still part of the run course at IMAZ, I am doing the race in November and ran the course when I was down there for work....and just looked online, it does not appear to be part of the run course?

Mile 22 of the run course. Some people may scoff but it is enough to derail a good pace to a pace that will never be achieved after climbing the hill. Climbing the hill isn't even the worst part though, it it is the steeper downhgill on a weird cambered surface with turns.

http://www.ironman.com/...tbt%202016%20web.pdf

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ vs IMLOUISVILLE (October version) [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1poseur1 wrote:

No idea, this is the first fall race for pros and our temps are different so I don't follow it. I would think it would be borderline but probably wetsuit legal.

Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ vs IMLOUISVILLE (October version) [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
What is this "beastly" papiago park that you mention?

Mile 22 of the run course. Some people may scoff but it is enough to derail a good pace to a pace that will never be achieved after climbing the hill. Climbing the hill isn't even the worst part though, it it is the steeper downhill on a weird cambered surface with turns.

http://www.ironman.com/...tbt%202016%20web.pdf

Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ vs IMLOUISVILLE (October version) [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1poseur1 wrote:

For AG, my understanding is it's already wetsuit legal (temp).
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ vs IMLOUISVILLE (October version) [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
1poseur1 wrote:

For AG, my understanding is it's already wetsuit legal (temp).

Based on October water temps over the last few years, IMLOU is practically guaranteed to be wetsuit-legal. Last year was touch-and-go almost right up until race day, but it was also:
1. the earliest likely date for the race
2. anomalously warm for several weeks leading up to race day.
Quote Reply