Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coach, I WILL NEVER DOUBT YOU AGAIN
Quote | Reply
Coach, I WILL NEVER DOUBT YOU AGAIN

That s the word one of my '' high maintenance'' đŸ˜‰athletes wrote by text messages after winning her first ever ITU world championship gold medal a few weeks ago. And my reply to her was ''of course you will doubt me again''.

So i was ask if it bothers me that some of my athletes doubt me at times? Not really. When the going gets though, the hours of training piles in and fatigue become overwhelming, the mind of athletes will always wonders. Second guessing some decision, workouts, past experience, etc. Driven athletes will at times get consume with over analyzing everything and it s very difficult for a athlete to remain objective and neutral.

So how do we process with athletes that will doubt and questions at time, you decisions, workouts, change of plan, race recommendations, pacing strategy etc?

The answer is commitment. That is the most important element a athlete need to give to a coach. When new athletes contact me for potential coaching relationship, it s the first element i will discuss. Are they ready to be Committed to the me and the program.

Commitment to the coaching relationship aka; ''I say, you do'' . I m not asking you to agree with all my decisions, i m not asking you to never doubt or be scare when you see the schedule for the coming week, i m not asking you to not be nervous or think i m crazy when i tell you the pacing strategy we will use at your next big race. I m not asking you to even like me........ You are human and allowed all those feelings, toughs, and questions to surface in your mind. What i m asking you above all is, what ever doubts, questions, interrogations you might have....you will come back to the essential of the athlete/coach relationship.......you are committed to the program, and i m the one writing the program so ''you do what i say''!

Over the years, i can say athletes that are committed and stick to the program are by far the ones that will improve the most and perform at a the highest level.

Will doubt ever go away as the athlete/coach relationship growth years after years? my experience is never completely, if you challenge your athletes and push them out of the comfort zone at times.....questioning will resurface.....but commitment is there to take care of this and keep them in the straight line!

so, are you committed? ;)

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Coach, I WILL NEVER DOUBT YOU AGAIN [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo.....i never doubt you...I just can't understand you-:) LOL!

In all seriousness ST - if you want to commit and improve hire Jonnyo.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Coach, I WILL NEVER DOUBT YOU AGAIN [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second that! As long as he doesn't fire me and ask me to send back the trucker hat!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I would have doubted my coach. Probably wouldn't have spent three years way overreached and would have performed a lot better.

Doubt is good. Questioning is good. Reasons and explanations are even better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am naturally a skeptic, and have many doubts; however I have learned to (mostly) suppress those and do exactly what coach says and it. just. works. every .single. time.

What is incredibly frustrating and very cool at the same time is that Jonny seems to know me better than I know me, even though he is on the other side of the continent.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Felt_Rider [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Sep 20, 17 5:03
Re: Coach, I WILL NEVER DOUBT YOU AGAIN [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
However, I do understand what rubik posted and that he did give his coach ample time and it did not go well long term. That sucks too.

--------

what all is the background story to this (I see he posted previously in this thread too)...is there a thread to read over about the experience?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Coach, I WILL NEVER DOUBT YOU AGAIN [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i agree, and welcome the questions, doubt, and discussions. just not 5min before a workout ;) we talk after!

having a overreach athlete is a major issue and it take a really incompetent coach to not see/prevent this Unless you asked your coach to really push you to the limit and take risk to reach a short term goal. At the age group level, the more complex issue is the professional and family life that weight heavily on someone. That s where you really need solid communication with your coach so it dost take a turn for the worst.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm jealous of her perfect teeth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats to both of you!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post ... love the diagram!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
i agree, and welcome the questions, doubt, and discussions. just not 5min before a workout ;) we talk after!

having a overreach athlete is a major issue and it take a really incompetent coach to not see/prevent this Unless you asked your coach to really push you to the limit and take risk to reach a short term goal. At the age group level, the more complex issue is the professional and family life that weight heavily on someone. That s where you really need solid communication with your coach so it dost take a turn for the worst.

solid communication is a must IMO. my coach often adds notes in my workouts describing the purpose of the workout. to be fair, I'm a somewhere above MOP age grouper, competitive in my age group at local races but feel good when I get in the top 25% in my age group in the big events so my goals are more modest than many here. but I trust my coach and have good communication with her, often times her pressing me on how I'm feeling, how a workout went, and making sure I'm understanding the goal of each workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Coach, I WILL NEVER DOUBT YOU AGAIN [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonnyo has a secret camera in my home or talks to my wife to figure out when I am grumpy

I have also had poor coaches whom I did question but ultimately followed - I was proven right and had two crap years injured and or over trained
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on one of your athletes doing so well!

I think a healthy amount of doubt is good. I had a terrible experience with Tridot though I liked my coach, just their program is overhyped.

I now have for the past few months started working with another coach and he is great. He is a great combination of push and support.
I think there are a number of great coaches out there, but they are not the majority. I'm not going to try to compare Torsten, my coach, to Matt, who coaches Sarah True or Jonnyo or any other great coach. I love hearing anyone who really likes their coaching.

I think the bottom line is that if you don't feel you are getting what you need from a coach, switch. But, when you find one that is great for you, work through the ups and downs of any professional relationship in which you are striving to do more and go faster than you ever have. This is not easy and will never be a linear journey.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Coach, I WILL NEVER DOUBT YOU AGAIN [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as you said, a certain amount of doubt or question is healthy.

I do work with many very experience athletes that have been in the sport for 20+ years. So while we do play the game if ''i say, you do'', there is no doubt that there feedback and contribution is important very valued on my part. I do like to listen to them at times ;)

This is more to spark a interesting conversation...... of course, if your not with the right coach....following blindly could be very dangerous endeavor.

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
she does have perfect teeth!

your a good coach jonny. I am a needy athlete haha. I questioned you all the time. Over-analysing power, identifying workouts which co-incided with good races etc. Gimme v02 workouts jonny, they make me a beast! Good times haha
Quote Reply