Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UCI Turns Men's World Championship ITT Into a Bike-Bike Duathlon
Quote | Reply
The UCI Men's Individual Time Trial World Championship kicks off on Wednesday. Froome and Dumoulin are expected to be top contenders for the Gold, but to me the big talking point is the fact that the UCI have essentially turned this event into a bike-bike duathlon with their course selection and lax rules. The final climb is 3.4 km at 9% with the final km averaging over 10%; this will undoubtedly see most of the riders switch out their TT bikes for road bikes for the finish and the UCI have even go so far as to set up a dedicated "Bike Exchange" zone at the bottom of the final climb.

Cycling News reckon that a bike change would cost between 7-10 seconds and that a lightweight road bike could save as much as 20 seconds on Mount Floyen, so it seems as though we'll probably see most people taking advantage of that. Now I don't so much mind that kind of thing on a Grand Tour, where it's already a mix of racing and adds to the complexity of the overall situation, but in a the ITT World Championships it seems a bit disrespectful to the discipline to effectively promote such behaviour.

I hope Dumoulin and Froome have been practicing their transitions!
Quote Reply
Re: UCI Turns Men's World Championship ITT Into a Bike-Bike Duathlon [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
The UCI Men's Individual Time Trial World Championship kicks off on Wednesday. Froome and Dumoulin are expected to be top contenders for the Gold, but to me the big talking point is the fact that the UCI have essentially turned this event into a bike-bike duathlon with their course selection and lax rules. The final climb is 3.4 km at 9% with the final km averaging over 10%; this will undoubtedly see most of the riders switch out their TT bikes for road bikes for the finish and the UCI have even go so far as to set up a dedicated "Bike Exchange" zone at the bottom of the final climb.

Cycling News reckon that a bike change would cost between 7-10 seconds and that a lightweight road bike could save as much as 20 seconds on Mount Floyen, so it seems as though we'll probably see most people taking advantage of that. Now I don't so much mind that kind of thing on a Grand Tour, where it's already a mix of racing and adds to the complexity of the overall situation, but in a the ITT World Championships it seems a bit disrespectful to the discipline to effectively promote such behaviour.

I hope Dumoulin and Froome have been practicing their transitions!

I mostly agree that it can be viewed as disrespectful to the dicipline, but its mostly the bike exchange I dont likt. I think the finish will be spectacular, and enternaining. I can totally understand guys like Tony Martin being upset, and I'm not saying this is necessarily the way to go. But from an entertainment-point-of-view, I think it'll be great! I should also disclose that worlds is happening in my city, and that I will be right there ontop of the mountain cheering! Hopefully the weather will be ok - and that we atleast avoid coulds/fog that limit the view!

This one is laid down for Dumoulin! But Also expect some dark-horse to do good! I think guys like Kelderman, Grivko, Moscon, Kiryienka and Castroviejo will do good!
Quote Reply
Re: UCI Turns Men's World Championship ITT Into a Bike-Bike Duathlon [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like the crowds in Bergen have been fantastic so far, you guys are doing a brilliant job! I'm looking out for Boassen-Hagen on Sunday, he was looking good at the Tour of Britain a few weeks ago; as always he should have won a few stages but only came away with a win in the final one.

I just logged on to Twitter and the Belgian national team have just posted some videos of their guys practicing their transitions already; Yves Lampert definitely needs a few more goes!

Primoz Roglic seems to be a popular outside pick given the final climb; I think Dumoulin and Froome are just going to be way too strong for everyone else but it should be a fantastic fight between those two for gold.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI Turns Men's World Championship ITT Into a Bike-Bike Duathlon [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UCI is turning into an extention of British Cycling, this Course favors Froome, all too easy for him to have a Rainbow Jersey now. The Brits are ruining cycling in Europe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
It looks like the crowds in Bergen have been fantastic so far, you guys are doing a brilliant job! I'm looking out for Boassen-Hagen on Sunday, he was looking good at the Tour of Britain a few weeks ago; as always he should have won a few stages but only came away with a win in the final one.

I just logged on to Twitter and the Belgian national team have just posted some videos of their guys practicing their transitions already; Yves Lampert definitely needs a few more goes!

Primoz Roglic seems to be a popular outside pick given the final climb; I think Dumoulin and Froome are just going to be way too strong for everyone else but it should be a fantastic fight between those two for gold.

Yea turnout has been pretty good so far. The TTT - being on a weekend with sunny weather - was well attended. The U23/junior events going on today and yesterday dont draw the biggest crowds, but still far from the Quatar-runway of last years Worlds :) I think (hope) crowds for tomorrows ITT will be huge, regardless of weather! Hoping for the best weather possible though - will be tough for the riders if we have rain and wet roads. The first few hairpins up mt. fløyen are actually on cobbles, and I can tell you first hand those cobbles get slippery when wet! :) Add to this the first haripin is a sharp 90right-180 degree left where the riders will come it at some speed (check it out here: https://www.google.no/...Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656)

Riders will probably be at 20-25 mps approaching the first 90 deg, so they better be riding disc-brakes!
Last edited by: lovegoat: Sep 19, 17 3:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding the bike-exchange-thing: I just read that Boasson Hagen will ride the ITT on a modified road-bike with clip-on's! I cant see many others going that way! Also I dont think it will be faster.. Tough course for sure, but I think he'll loose a fair amount of time the first 28km, which - after all - are faily flat (McNulty the U-23 silver medalist averaged over 30 mph on 400watts on the loop the Elite men will be tackeling twice before the climb..)
Quote Reply