Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SRAM etap vs Ultegra di2. Which is better and why? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your pic appears to be in dead air space as well :)
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM etap vs Ultegra di2. Which is better and why? [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What parts are included in that $1,100 quote from your bike shop?
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM etap vs Ultegra di2. Which is better and why? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have a 7.5 speed concept. They quoted me 1100 for parts and labor which includes the new DA brake levers. For 7.5 I also need a new seat post which can house the battery. I didn't discuss that but since they are a big Trek dealers I'm assuming they know that already (hopefully). I'm going over there this weekend and will get this clarified.

jimatbeyond wrote:
What parts are included in that $1,100 quote from your bike shop?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which parts are include?
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM etap vs Ultegra di2. Which is better and why? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll try to get a detailed list. Just assumed whatever is needed... FD, RD, bar end shifters, brake levers, seat post, cables, battery, junction box. Do you think they would be leaving anything that's essential out?

jimatbeyond wrote:
Which parts are include?
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM etap vs Ultegra di2. Which is better and why? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
i just wanna say kudos for use of ''picayune.''

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM etap vs Ultegra di2. Which is better and why? [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Campagnolo EPS is hardly considered but I installed one on my P5. It should be comparable with DI2 with the internal battery, since the battery is fixed to the bike such that you charge it with a cable.

The installation was a pain (will be the same with DI2) and the next problem was that the battery turned out to be out of order, and the replacement of the battery was a pain again. Since then however (two years) the systen works perfect.

When I installed the system, etap was not available yet. When I would have to buy something now I would not consider Campagnolo or Shimano, but always etap no matter the price. Without cabling (ignoring the cabling in the cockpit) it is so much easier to install and to repair if something is broken. And indeed if one of the batteries is empty during riding you always have one left to use on the rear. And I never heard of problems with the radio-connection between the components.

I guess it is only for patent reasons that Campagnolo and Shimano are stuck with their cables.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
eTap
- huge blip box
- still needs wires to shifters

I assume it's impossible from an engineering point of view to eliminate the blip box and wires altogether? The huge blip box is what turned me off.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM etap vs Ultegra di2. Which is better and why? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
I assume it's impossible from an engineering point of view to eliminate the blip box and wires altogether? The huge blip box is what turned me off.
Maybe they will figure it out. In the road bike config, the wireless bits are built into one of the brake/shifters. Maybe they will introduce a TT brake lever with an integrated wireless module. Or, maybe they can figure out how to package it in one of the extension shifters. Or, cook up a sweet little module like Shimano did that fits in a bar end-- you could mount that on the other end of an extension.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM etap vs Ultegra di2. Which is better and why? [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've owned both and, as much as it drives me crazy to buy all the goofy shit required for Di2 ($80 for wires, $100 for junction boxes, etc...), it really is a far better system than eTap. Shifting is noticeably quicker and the buttons on the shifters are far easier to engage than the blips, especially on the base bar if you have to put them under bar tape.

Most bike shops charge just about as much to install eTap as Di2, so you are splitting hairs on installation cost, and a Di2 group is cheaper than eTap by at least $400 from what I've priced out recently...even more if you need a mid-cage WiFli rear derailleur.

Yes, Di2 is more difficult to install, but I would gladly deal with that headache once in exchange for a better shifting system from that point forward. And if you are paying a mechanic to install, that is a moot point anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM etap vs Ultegra di2. Which is better and why? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have experience with the new Ultegra Di2 and non-Shimano cranksets?

I can only find press releases on this but it seems they've changed the distance between chainrings with the new Ultegra crankset. The new front dereilleur has been modified as well to accommodate for this change in chainrings distance.

Somwhere else I've read that the gap change is only <1mm. However, these days with those tight tolerances I don't know if this would make a difference when using 3rd party cranksets (in my case a Rotor with a P2M spider).

By the way, I would also go with the Di2 and not etap. Yes, initial installation is a pain but longer battery runtime is a big factor for me. I also like the additional buttons on the new STIs. And since the battery is hidden it simply looks a little bit sleeker.
Last edited by: stefa: Sep 20, 17 22:24
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM etap vs Ultegra di2. Which is better and why? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Besides, the front derailleur will stop shifting first, leaving you with ~50 rear shifts.

A great way to gamify cycling. On the Queen Stage at the Giro, I want to see every bike “equipped” with 50 shifts left on the electronic shifting system.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM etap vs Ultegra di2. Which is better and why? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just another another consideration for etap:
The cockpit part must have a battery too, which is a disadvantage because when that battery looses power you're stuck no matter if the derailer batteries are still charged.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
- huge blip box
- still needs wires to shifters

Probably because the blip box needs to have transmit/receive capability.

Would be great to have that in miniature in the blips, than you do not need cables. To make it totally perfect would be to generate the electric power from the movement of the button of the blip by your finger, such that no batteries are needed.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM etap vs Ultegra di2. Which is better and why? [chrisgrigsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisgrigsby wrote:
I've owned both and, as much as it drives me crazy to buy all the goofy shit required for Di2 ($80 for wires, $100 for junction boxes, etc...), it really is a far better system than eTap. Shifting is noticeably quicker and the buttons on the shifters are far easier to engage than the blips, especially on the base bar if you have to put them under bar tape.

Most bike shops charge just about as much to install eTap as Di2, so you are splitting hairs on installation cost, and a Di2 group is cheaper than eTap by at least $400 from what I've priced out recently...even more if you need a mid-cage WiFli rear derailleur.

Yes, Di2 is more difficult to install, but I would gladly deal with that headache once in exchange for a better shifting system from that point forward. And if you are paying a mechanic to install, that is a moot point anyway.

I'm installing a whole new bar system plus eTap so I may end up going to the LBS at some point due to having to install new brake cables, as I hate doing brake cables, but why the heck would anyone go to a LBS to install eTap? It's about as easy as you can get.

Kind of rhetorical as I know people pay the LBS to change tire tubes.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM etap vs Ultegra di2. Which is better and why? [chrisgrigsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisgrigsby wrote:

I have owned both as well...i guess maybe there is a slight lag for the wireless signal to get to the RD...but in no way is sram eTap slow...look, shimano just has shifting figured out...even their mechanical stuff feels great. I have raced with both...for me...the totality of ease with eTap wins. I don't have to worry about anything inside the frame failing...and I can carry an extra battery. The blip box is not small, but I have had no problems at all finding a nice place to make it fit. And if you had not tried the clics in your bar-ends...you should have. I am not sure anyone could say the clics are difficult to engage...all this clearly shows that eTap is a far better system...imo. 😉
Last edited by: zooropa: Sep 21, 17 5:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry that I make an additional remark again, but for which I am always frightened like hell with my Campagnolo EPS (which will be the same with di2) is when I remove my wheel: that the quick release of the wheel grabs the cable of the rear derailer such that it brakes. Then you're in deep trouble.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM etap vs Ultegra di2. Which is better and why? [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zooropa wrote:
chrisgrigsby wrote:

I have owned both as well...i guess maybe there is a slight lag for the wireless signal to get to the RD...but in no way is sram eTap slow...look, shimano just has shifting figured out...even their mechanical stuff feels great. I have raced with both...for me...the totality of ease with eTap wins. I don't have to worry about anything inside the frame failing...and I can carry an extra battery. The blip box is not small, but I have had no problems at all finding a nice place to make it fit. And if you had not tried the clics in your bar-ends...you should have. I am not sure anyone could say the clics are difficult to engage...all this clearly shows that eTap is a far better system...imo. 😉

Yes, the clicks are great, I just meant the blips on the base bars. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a SRAM hater by any stretch. I'm running hydraulic Force 1x on my gravel bike and have put eTap on my road bike in the past too. I love the concept but think Di2 has the edge for this application.
Quote Reply

Prev Next