Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Airport free shop prices-worth it?
Quote | Reply
Going to Europe soon and will have 4 hrs layover in Frankfurt. Been there before few times but this time will be by myself and will have time to look around. Is shopping in free shops worth the money, are they cheaper? Don't know what to buy, asking just in case.
Quote Reply
Re: Airport free shop prices-worth it? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. At least in UK thry are no longer duty free

If you do want to buy something whilst overseas in europe purchase in a shop part of globalblue

When you get back to airport you can getb14% tax back

If you can find someone that does tax free the old way and is not part of global blue you get 20% tax refunded
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. Items and prices are roughly the same worldwide. Large bags of M&Ms, Starburts Skittles, Toblerone bars, toy planes, stuffed bears, Chanel and Lancôme cosmetics, loads of perfumes, watches, scarves, handbags, shelves of booze and mixers and electrical adapters can be found in the stores. Not worth walking in to trying to kill time.

Last edited by: travelmama: Sep 19, 17 8:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KRAMER: If anything, we'll probably get there early. I'll have a chance to go to the Duty Free shop.

GEORGE: The Duty Free Shop? Duty Free is the biggest sucker deal in retail. Do you know how much duty is?

KRAMER: Duty.

GEORGE: Yeah, "duty". Do you know how much duty is?

KRAMER: No, I dunno how much duty is.

GEORGE: Duty is *nothing*. It's like sales tax...

KRAMER: I still like to stop at the duty free shop.

GEORGE: I like to stop at the duty free shop.

(They start to "sing", growing more excited after each iteration:)

GEORGE & KRAMER: I like to stop at the duty free shop!

I like to stop at the duty free shop!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
Going to Europe soon and will have 4 hrs layover in Frankfurt. Been there before few times but this time will be by myself and will have time to look around. Is shopping in free shops worth the money, are they cheaper? Don't know what to buy, asking just in case.

They don't really seem cheaper but it is possible to find Duty Free-only editions of some scotches, etc. (I got a bottle of Glenmorangie Cellar 13 from my parents a few years ago that turned out to be exclusive to Duty Free when I tried to get another bottle of it)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only duty-free I buy whilst abroad is Drambuie!! and it is considerably cheaper in duty free stores than here at home....... Cheers!! :-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done many a 4 hour layover at Frankfurt. Ugh... if on the way to Europe, and you need to move around simply to stay awake, you can head downstairs and hit the grocery store. Cheaper than duty free for food IMO. Plus, great place to pick up some real fruit. The only downside is you have to go through security again, but hey, you have 4 hours.

Best option is if you have access to an airline lounge.
Quote Reply
Re: Airport free shop prices-worth it? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I went through that airport the security guy grabbed my nuts and checked my oil (my pants were on though).

I commented about him buying me dinner first so he decided to give me even more special attention....

Yay!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
Is shopping in free shops worth the money, are they cheaper?
No.
Don't waste your time.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Airport free shop prices-worth it? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
When I went through that airport the security guy grabbed my nuts and checked my oil (my pants were on though).

I commented about him buying me dinner first so he decided to give me even more special attention....

Yay!

What the fuck your gay airport fun has to do with my question??? :-)

Ad Muncher
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duty free shops are some of the most expensive ones I've been in. It's the biggest legal scam out there.

The trick for the shops is that they package things in large amounts so it's difficult to compare. I tried once and stopped in a duty free shop to look at the price on a perfume. I calculated the cost/ounce and then went into a mall in Bangkok and did the same. There was no comparison, the cost in the airport duty free shop was far higher.
Quote Reply
Re: Airport free shop prices-worth it? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually the scam in the uk is worse than that

When they ask to see your boarding pass and scan it. If you are leaving the eu they claim back the tax but do not pass that saving on to the customer

Its why in the uk i now refuse to provide a boarding pass if i am buying something.

Fuxk them.
Quote Reply