Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Barryp maintain bike
Quote | Reply
Going to fully commit to the Barry p run plan for the foreseeable future. If I were to throw in some cycling how many/ what intensity should the bike workouts be to maintain bike fitness or minimize the loss without impacting running recovery? Becoming a faster runner is the primary goal but would love to hang on to some bike fitness if possible. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Barryp maintain bike [aries33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I found works for me:

--- This was during winter, when I liked to run long on the weekend when there was more light.
Trainerroad 70.3 low volume plan for Bike fitness

M: Trainerroad + Short Run (1hr:30)
Tu: Medium Run (1hr:30 inc core)
W: Trainerroad + Short Run (1hr:30)
Th: Medium Run (1hr:30 inc core)
Fr: Trainerroad + Short Run (1hr:30)
Sat: Long Run (1:45 - 2 hr)
Su: Long Bike

---- This is spring/summer now, as i've moved my long run to mid week now....

M: Medium run (tempo) (1hr:30 inc core)
Tu: Trainerroad + Short Run
Wed: Long Run (1:45 - 2hr)
Th: Trainerroad + Short Run / or just trainerroad (1:30)
Fri: Medium Run (1hr:30 inc core)
Sat: Trainerroad + short tempo run (2hrs)
Sun: Long bike + short run if i feel like it

You could do a standalone bike session on Thurs if you didnt want to run after you long run day. That would be the longer trainerroad session.

Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what I attempted this year and it was going quite swimmingly until about April when "life happened" and I started to run short on training time. Here's my advice:

• Whatever bike sessions you do should be short and intense. I was doing three rides a week: I'd do two 2x20s and one VO2 Max session most weeks and every third week or so I'd replace one of the 2x20s with a ~2 hour spirited ride.
  • I always ran first thing in the morning and did my bike sessions either at lunch (on the off chance I was at home) or in the evening.
  • My BarryP structure was:

• Monday: off
    • Tuesday: easy run (1) 2x20 bike
    • Wednesday: tempo run (2)
    • Thursday: easy run (1) 2x20 bike
    • Friday: medium run (2)
    • Saturday: easy run (1) VO2 Max bike
    • Sunday: long run (3)

The numbers in the parentheses are distance ratios.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About to do the same so interested in responses...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aries33 wrote:
Going to fully commit to the Barry p run plan for the foreseeable future. If I were to throw in some cycling how many/ what intensity should the bike workouts be to maintain bike fitness or minimize the loss without impacting running recovery? Becoming a faster runner is the primary goal but would love to hang on to some bike fitness if possible. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

I moved from 3 runs a week to a BarryP 6 run plan this year & increased bike volume slightly (keeping 5 sessions).

After a while of BarryP I noticed that unlike the old 3-run structure run's weren't destroying my legs.

Rule of thumb for me was zone 2 bikes go anywhere but an intense or long bike was always followed by an easy run day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any biking will have a impact on your run program recovery. it s just a matter of prioritizing.

If you really want to make some gain in your running, be ok with a minimal maintenance plan and perhaps some lost of bike fitness. that s ok, there is lots of time to regain it later.

2-3 rides: threshold/vo2 max. short session

just enough stimulation to maintain decent training load while really focusing on the goal of the program...improving your running.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing this too. Last year I did BarryP exclusively through January. My run improved quite a bit but lost too much FTP to regain by the season. This year I'll try to balance a bit more.
Quote Reply
Re: Barryp maintain bike [S Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But did your race times improve?

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Barryp maintain bike [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, yeah, absolutely. My times were a net gain but only because my faster run times more than made up for my slower bike times.

ETA: I had a lot of low fruit to knock off my run. I still do but I expect diminishing returns to kick in soon, I don't know if I'd be as lucky next year by neglecting my bike this winter.
Last edited by: S Train: Sep 19, 17 11:38
Quote Reply