Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pedal poll
Quote | Reply
What's important to you re. pedals?

Low stack height wasn't an option. No one cares about low pedal height but me? Allows you to lower your saddle and, I think, makes your shoe a bit more stable on the spindle. I've been riding Coombe pedals for >20yrs. Super low stack height. Darn near 10mm less stack height than some modern designs. Gotta be decent aero advantage to being able to lower the rider by 10mm.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal poll [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:

Low stack height wasn't an option. No one cares about low pedal height but me? Allows you to lower your saddle and, I think, makes your shoe a bit more stable on the spindle. I've been riding Coombe pedals for >20yrs. Super low stack height. Darn near 10mm less stack height than some modern designs. Gotta be decent aero advantage to being able to lower the rider by 10mm.

Lowering yourself doesn't change your frontal area. Stack height is more a bio-mechanical advantage.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal poll [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A=base*height, so there is the possibility of reduced frontal area as long as the bottom of the pedal isn't too"lumpy". Imaging the increase in frontal area with some 70s platforms.

That said the ability to smooth the bottom of the shoe, like the aero Speedplays, is probably the biggest gain. Feet seem to be one of the last frontiers for aero improvements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

Lowering yourself doesn't change your frontal area. Stack height is more a bio-mechanical advantage.
if you lower the peak height of the collective "you and your bike" by 1cm, seems to me that it would be more aero. Certainly if you lower a car by 1cm, it gets more aero. That's a standard mode of adaptive car suspensions these days.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've mentioned it before -I've been racing my own design for 5 years in the sport.

Zero stack
Zero drag
Zero weight.
Zero hassles.

Nice shot of the pedal here. It's just an alum plate with Velcro hook and a locating pin. Shoe w/ loop goes on flat (no cleat) and that aero cover under the pedal could be carbon. I just have an EVA foam cover there.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

if you lower the peak height of the collective "you and your bike" by 1cm, seems to me that it would be more aero. Certainly if you lower a car by 1cm, it gets more aero. That's a standard mode of adaptive car suspensions these days.

That is into relation of air flowing over the car rather than under the car plus a lot of other factors. Lowering a car is more based for handling. A human body in the aero position makes no difference what height it is. I don't know a pedal system with a 1cm difference from any other anyway? There may be minimal gains by having less seatpost or rise above the stem but the even a thicker pedal/cleat all increasing frontal area.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal poll [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
A=base*height, so there is the possibility of reduced frontal area as long as the bottom of the pedal isn't too"lumpy". Imaging the increase in frontal area with some 70s platforms.

That said the ability to smooth the bottom of the shoe, like the aero Speedplays, is probably the biggest gain. Feet seem to be one of the last frontiers for aero improvements.

Very minimal gains at best. I think people need to concentrate on their position more and a hand full of seconds less.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal poll [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
Zero stack
Zero drag
Zero weight.
Zero hassles.
Having never ridden such a system, I can't comment on the effectiveness of it, but objectively speaking your solution is none of the above.

If you're using it with running shoes then your stack, drag and weight are all going to be higher than with a standard bike shoe-pedal combo. As for "hassle", goodness knows!
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal poll [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
SharkFM wrote:
Zero stack
Zero drag
Zero weight.
Zero hassles.

Having never ridden such a system, I can't comment on the effectiveness of it, but objectively speaking your solution is none of the above.

If you're using it with running shoes then your stack, drag and weight are all going to be higher than with a standard bike shoe-pedal combo. As for "hassle", goodness knows!

Agreed even if you put a cycling shoe directly on top of the pedal plate the axle looks bigger diameter than a Speedplay so the stack is automatically higher and can't say it looks lighter than any other pedal. Not sure how less zero drag factors in regard to any other pedal and hassles I can see many. I hope he isn't riding in running shoes because the power loss would be huge...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
That is into relation of air flowing over the car rather than under the car plus a lot of other factors. Lowering a car is more based for handling. A human body in the aero position makes no difference what height it is. I don't know a pedal system with a 1cm difference from any other anyway? There may be minimal gains by having less seatpost or rise above the stem but the even a thicker pedal/cleat all increasing frontal area.
Thought experiment.
Lets say I am able to drop my saddle by 5" because of some goofy pedal design. As a result, there is a 5" thickness of undisturbed air that now flows over me unimpeded.

My feet, also 5" lower, have dropped from one place in the disturbed air flow behind the front wheel and downtube, to simply a lower place in the disturbed air flow.

It's not just moving the body from one place to lower place. It's moving the body down from undisturbed air to air that will inevitably be disturbed by the bike.

Imagine a CPT America shield 5' in diameter. The shield's edge is sitting on the ground and you're holding it up to shelter you from air blast. Your head is sticking up 5" over the lip of the shield and your tongue is hanging like a dog in an open car window.

Now crouch a bit and pull your head down behind the shield. You can pull your tongue in if you want. Wouldn't this second scenario have less aero drag?

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
awenborn wrote:
SharkFM wrote:
Zero stack
Zero drag
Zero weight.
Zero hassles.

Agreed even if you put a cycling shoe directly on top of the pedal plate the axle looks bigger diameter than a Speedplay so the stack is automatically higher and can't say it looks lighter than any other pedal. Not sure how less zero drag factors in regard to any other pedal and hassles I can see many. I hope he isn't riding in running shoes because the power loss would be huge...

I use a Carbon Bont shoe, very thin sole & barefeet :). The sole of cycling shoes varies quite a bit. OK Speedplay is the best for stack obviously. But the cleat is an abomination as is the price of the system.

Simple, organic design: A formed plate, two sheets of Velcro and one pin does all you need. And is potentially safer too for those that need to come off in all directions. I've been riding this first & ony proto for 5 years. The solution is the lightest, most aero, least stack and fastest combined system there is. I put my shoes on first and run out of T1, bed in on the fly. "Unclip" and run back into T2 shoes on.

I ride and train with conventional pedals (look, crank bros) btw, as the loop does wear down- I have it directly on the shoe with no underlay.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: Sep 19, 17 9:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The stack height of that is more than a Speedplay and not sore what the abomination is with the Speedplay cleat it is the only pedal you can adjust float on and what I love about them. As for your outlandish claims about your pedal if you like them and believe them then good for you. I like to train with what I race with which I find a big plus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like your idea and what you're selling. If I could buy them, I probably would.

You mentioned the shoes in a previous post as a carbon base from a pair of used cycling shoes with a lightweight running/track shoes upper. Seems like you glue? Velcro to those? Did you or would you advise getting a shoe repair store to put it together?

What is the pedal? And do you glue or how do you adhere the Velcro?

How long does the Velcro last on the shoes? Pedals? Keeping that Velcro clean?

Seriously, if it were as easy as going into a store or Amazon more people might be trying these.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply