Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Time Off
Quote | Reply
Long story made short....have had a long season in 2017. Started out with marathon in early Feb, headed into 70.3 season in early April and then the race season with a 70.3 in July and IM in August. Had a great season until IM and had a bad race. So, my plan was to take an easy week then slowly get back into training. Well now I hit a wall and my legs feel absolutely DEAD......I know I should take two weeks completely off and re-charge but having a hard time mentally getting over not being able to workout for two weeks....Any good advice?
Quote Reply
Re: Time Off [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give yourself a chance to do something other than train. The options are endless and you might find something you enjoy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
Long story made short....have had a long season in 2017. Started out with marathon in early Feb, headed into 70.3 season in early April and then the race season with a 70.3 in July and IM in August. Had a great season until IM and had a bad race. So, my plan was to take an easy week then slowly get back into training. Well now I hit a wall and my legs feel absolutely DEAD......I know I should take two weeks completely off and re-charge but having a hard time mentally getting over not being able to workout for two weeks....Any good advice?

Go for some walks, get outside, do something you have NOT had a chance to do all year. With that being said, often times with complete rest you will feel dead and it is why a lot of coaches don't prescribe complete rest days in favor of active recovery days. You can always try some really light swimming and biking too.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two weeks of yoga. Seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+ on the yoga.

Give wall climbing a go. Its addictive and challenging in the same sense to keep you motivated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:

The rate of attrition in this sport is high. I've seen a lot of people race the Australian season, then go to Europe/WC/Kona, they're training 24/7, taking no time off thinking they'll never tire of the sport and never tire of the training....then they wake up one morning and they're done. If you want longevity in this sport you need to be kind to your body and your mind. I used to always look forward to the post race week, fantasising about how relaxing it's going to be eating what I want, drinking beer and not training. The reality is, it's stressful and I'm anxious because I'm not training. This is something I need to work on. But seeing people drop out of the sport so frequently is enough motivation to force me to rest, even if I don't want to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learn to mountain bike and enjoy that. It will truly enhance your handling skills and power, plus a real change of scenery. I find the hardest thing for IM athletes is to take time off, recover and learn to have fun again. Stop digging yourself deeper into a hole.....enjoy and play a bit!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Body dosnt need a break from training....but a change of pace/structure/ focus and mental stimulation.

allow yourself a couple weeks unstructured and then slowly get back into it with perhaps a focus on one of the sport...this will prevent you from doing too much...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply