Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pedal Poll
Quote | Reply
How is power transfer not one of the options on the pedal poll? Isn't this the selling point of certain pedals? I don't know if it is a fake thing, but it was how I was initially sold on Speedplay and been using them ever since. Power transfer s better because stack height is lower. Is power transfer a made up thing?
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Poll [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am very curious about what others have to say, but it seems hard to believe that power loss in pedals is a measurable thing and materially different between various pedals. Opportunities for loss could be poor bearings and flex in materials. Neither seems likely different in modern pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
two extremes (clips vs flats) from the MTB world, as tested by GMBN. They incorporated power, rider economy, etc in their "analysis".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFgHaMHeKyM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
How is power transfer not one of the options on the pedal poll?

it is. it's "other". but if you are actually choosing a pedal based on this, i'd love to see the reasoning behind the choice you made.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Poll [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the "stable platform" option being a basic part of power transfer and the pedals mission I didn't choose "other" ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Poll [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
With the "stable platform" option being a basic part of power transfer and the pedals mission I didn't choose "other" ..

personally i don't think the stable platform argument is ultimately defensible among the various pedals options people tend to use. however, i recognize that this argument is out there, hence my including it in the options.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I have very poor reasoning. The guy who sold me my first Cannondale a long time ago said they were the best pedal. I believed him. I have always liked, however, how easy they are to get into and out of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
I have very poor reasoning. The guy who sold me my first Cannondale a long time ago said they were the best pedal. I believed him. I have always liked, however, how easy they are to get into and out of.

getting in and out is a poll choice. buying what my LBS guy told me to buy is not a poll choice, however in retrospect i should have made it one.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In principle I agree with the exception in/at unfolding slow force with 52/18 on a average 8% (training) climb give/s at least my heels & ears different (personal) measurements ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Last edited by: sausskross: Sep 18, 17 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We all had to start somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Poll [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
In principle I agree with the exception in/at unfolding slow force with 52/18 on a average 8% (training) climb give/s at least my heels & ears different (personal) measurements ..

i cannot divine what that sentence means simply by reading it, however if i focus just on certain elements - 52/18, 8 percent grade - i then take you to mean that you've chosen a pedal you feel flexes less than another pedal you may have otherwise chosen. is that correct? and if so, what did you choose; what would you have otherwise chosen; and do you know that the pedal is what's flexing instead of the frame, the wheels, the tires, etc.?

way back when tour magazine used to do all these ridiculous stiffness tests on elements of the bike, as if stiffness was the only useful metric, and as if stiffness was really ever expressed in a particular part because the other elements in the chain were flexier.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, sorry .. I agree with you in principal, except in the case of unfolding strong forces therefore slow with a big gear on relative steep trainings climbs, when my heels and ears measure/feel/signal differences .. hopefully better ..

A tight and calm connection from the shoe to the pedal counts most for me when pushing & pulling slowly but hard ore fast & fluently during the work around the crank circle (edit: sentences like these are so easy in kurpfälzisch). Comfort I get with my shoes, getting in & out would count more if I did it more and all the other options changing the ride are a summary of saving some micro joules in my case ..

What Tour Magazine measures in it's garage its interesting for endless discussions mostly but not for my heels and ears during limit efforts. They compare sensations & make their deccisions to go ahead with me ..

I tend to replace the Time RXS pedals after 40k+ (metric) when I sense the "stiffness" of the bearings is worn ;-)

___/\___/\___/\___
Last edited by: sausskross: Sep 20, 17 21:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would revise the poll so that it reads as such:
  • Weight
  • Aerodynamics or Friction
  • Walk/Runability
  • Price
  • Easy to get in and out
  • Be part of a power meter
  • Fit considerations
  • Other
  • Never thought about it

The reason I say this is that I'm on Speedplay because of float *and* spindle length. Others might be on Speedplay because of float and cleat height or some other combination of fit-driven considerations. Likewise someone might choose Shimano/Look pedals because the available wedges facilitate their fit.

Side note: is anyone else struggling with the new stamped Speedplay cleats? It's like the holes on the new cleats don't line up with the standard Speedplay spacing.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Poll [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interested in the FRICTION aspect as well. My 8yr old pair of DA pedals, when spun with my hand will make 5-6 complete revolutions, very little friction. New DA pedals are lighter, but when spun pedal will only go around once, feels much stickier.

What is more optimal, a lighter pedal with some friction... or less friction/better lubrication but heavier?

-
"It's nice to be great, but far greater to be nice"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
How is power transfer not one of the options on the pedal poll? Isn't this the selling point of certain pedals? I don't know if it is a fake thing, but it was how I was initially sold on Speedplay and been using them ever since. Power transfer s better because stack height is lower. Is power transfer a made up thing?

I didn't buy Speedplay based on stack height but I had used most other pedals before trying Speedplay and was just sold on how they feel to ride in compared to others. Why I won't change at this point is the adjustable float. I only need a slight amount and can fine tune to lock into a nice pedal action. The fact you can grease them easy is a plus too in regards to pedal life and friction losses. I use standard cleats but you can buy light action and I also use the extender plate that puts the pedal axle back 14mm that I am a fan on. Yes it increase stack height by a few mm but I will take the midfoot advantage over any stack height losses.
Quote Reply