Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vietnam Bringing Home Those We Left Behind
Quote | Reply
For those interested. There's a lot of emotion about bringing home and accounting for those we left behind in Vietnam. Here's a short story on what that entails and the level of commitment.

For a year i was the detachment commander in Vietnam for what was then called DET2 JTF-FA in Hanoi Vietnam. Somewhat ironically to me at least--as a student of history--our detachment in Hanoi occupied the old Cuban advisory compound from the American War.

Lots of stories i can tell to illustrate the point but i will focus on one. About mid tour (one year un-accompanied for me) i got a call from my Hq in Pearl Harbor to investigate a potential recovery site down in a big mangrove swamp off of Vung Tau. I flew down to Saigon, drove down the Vung Tau and rented a series of fishing boats and local canoes to get to the projected recovery site and confirm/deny viability of future recovery ops to account for those we'd lost in this particular incident.

Series of boat rides and canoe rides hired from locals and was able to localise the loss site.

long leech filled trek into the impact area--which because of the av gas associated with this particular aircraft there was still
a pretty well defined impact site in the middle of this mangrove swamp in the middle of bum fuck no where.

Ultimately I ended up negotiating with the local shrimp fishing head mafia dude and hired all the local shrimp fisher guys and gals. What i wanted was for them to build a helicopter landing pad and a series of dikes around the loss site. My Dad was a civil engineer and worked on the Tenn/Tom waterway (plus i have this chinzy fly by night engineer degree from West Point) so i had an idea about how to work recovery in this particular environment.

Umm nice shrimps

We'd localized the loss site for the OV-10 and negotiated the labor for local fishermen to come in and work the site for us. I had them build a exterior series of dams around the loss site. We flew in some mud pumps from our supporting detachment down in Thailand and thru my engineering genius--and sheer brute force--we got the site isolated and drained dry enough to begin recovery work.

Here's some perspective of what this looked like from the air. I had to fly recovery teams into work each day--hotel bills. i had to pay for Viet work crews to show up to work each day (they paddled in on canoes).

Eventually we got down to the cockpit area of this OV-10. I had some pretty intense conversations with the lead anthropologist about just what the fuck we were doing out here and how much of the American taxpayers money we were spending

So here's the deal. It was a GREAT honor to be associated with the recovery/accountability
effort of JPAC (then JTF-FA). You just don't know who you've 'accounted for' during your tour
due to the processes involved in DNA forensic accounting. I gather that so far during my one
year in Hanoi associated with this endeavor we've accounted for 12?

Yes we brought this aviator home. It was done after i left and my good friend Ty Smith closed the
loop on this particular case but we even got his Aggie Class Ring out of the loss site.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Vietnam Bringing Home Those We Left Behind [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Important work; thank you for doing it. My wife is a forensic anthropologist and we have several friends who currently work or have worked at JPAC. Don't know what sort of um 'conversation' you had with the one on your mission, but the people we know are up for just about anything short of getting swallowed whole by a Vietnamese bog. As for cost to the taxpayer, it's got to be a drop in the bucket compared to overall military spend, and worth every penny if it brings family and friends some closure.
Quote Reply
Re: Vietnam Bringing Home Those We Left Behind [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good stuff

You're looking at a situation where you can grid out and isolate the loss incident. Keep on putting out grids until you get no forensic details--thats the good stuff.

Or you can oversea millions of dollars of taxpayers $$ and watch the grids go down.

Don't know your wife. Do know the anthro's from JPAC. Professionals all.

there is a time and place to 'go for the cockpit'

r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough finding your way into a mangrove swamp in the middle of SE Asia.

We got it nailed down and built all the requisite dikes and holding ponds based on my engineering degree and experience *snicker*

Repeated conversations w all the Embassy folks. Had several with the ambassador and the 3 star involved in this particular instance

at the end of the day--we got the guy out of that mud hole and his family now has a grave they can visit

//r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this info. It amazes me that after all these years, the military can find these missing service members. I would imagine that process entails a lot of detective work and would be a good story in it's own right.

As to your comment about the taxpayers money...this seems like a very good use of taxpayer money; it's the least we can do.

You mentioned "one year un-accompanied for me"...I not sure I understand what this means, without family?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for posting this. i would imagine this is pretty emotional when you find what's left behind of a serviceman. i have been contemplating the fact that today is, i believe, the 70th birthday of the U.S. air force, so, thematic for me today.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and Ambassador Burkhart still owes my $50 for the bottle of rum he 'borrowed' for me at the drink fest in Da Nang

Just saying State!!??

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious if you know how much effort/$ other countries are spending to recover their war deads from foreign battlefields. We seem to be at the front of the line in this arena.
Last edited by: axlsix3: Sep 18, 17 14:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Vietnam Bringing Home Those We Left Behind [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the deal

You work like hell with the Viet Govt. and provincial officials. When you emerge from that process you get what you got. With great reverence you send what you got home--and hope for the best.

When a jet impacts with the ground at high speed vertically you don't get a lot of differential aspect between the teeth. So the CILHI lab will eventually sort those out.

I have been involved in a VERY few cased where we have known whom we've ID'd and have gotten involved in the process. Those are rare. Mostly you do all the hard work and years later you hear about what' s come of it?

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regardless of where one stands on war politically, or this particular war, this is important work to give closure to at least some families. Thank you for being a part of that.

This photo gives me even more respect for a Vietnam veteran I know. From what we know, he was separated from his company (or whatever the proper term is) for a lengthy period of time. I don't remember exactly how long, but he was on his own trying to find his way back through the jungle for at least a week, which must have felt like an eternity. He doesn't talk about it. I'd love to know more and get his story, but I won't ask about it. At least for now, his story is still buried somewhere in that expanse, but he was lucky enough to come home.

Steve Hawley wrote:
Tough finding your way into a mangrove swamp in the middle of SE Asia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing.

Question, in the aerial photo of the mangroves you posted. Is one of the rectangular areas your diked recovery zone?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bro, great story, thanks for sharing!

Quote | Reply
Yes, I (we the American tax payer) paid local shrimp fisher folk to go in and clear that area out. I and my team demarked the exterior of the loss site we wanted cleared. Viets did this thru brute force.

When i needed a helo landing pad and a dike to walk to work for my teams to get in there each morning the local Viets built them for me ($$$) out of mud one #10 can of mud one plop at a time. Much nicer to fly into work on a Viet Mi-17 rather than rent a series of boats and canoes to get back into the mangrove swamp. But there's little effort spared on getting after the guys we left behind from this war.

Some day i will tell ya'll about a A6 driver we lost who flew north out of Hai Fhong and went up a valley he couldn't fly out of. I basically built a tree stand series of living and work platforms hammered into the side of a mountain up on the Chinese border. Folks up there were so ethnic i had to hire translators for my translators with the hill tribesmen.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Vietnam Bringing Home Those We Left Behind [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

on the tarmac at Da Nang.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I believe the last multi picture post from you was a beautiful one about building fly rods. That was a pleasure, but this one is just stunning, but appreciated. Thanks.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dad was close friends with the second longest held POW in Vietnam, They were close friends before and after the war. I believe he was held 8yrs. When I was in high school he visited our family cabin for a weekend and I stayed up all night talking with him about it all. He was very open and honest with me and it changed my perspective completely. I will never forget the conversation. When he returned, his wife was remarried and his grown kids had been adopted by the stepdad - they were told he was dead. He eventually died of cancer. He even attended my wedding 12 yrs after we first met. Interesting and honorable man.

I'm curious if you are able to fly drones with GoPros on your recovery missions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great story. Didn't know you were Viet Nam 'vintage.'

Re: Vietnam Bringing Home Those We Left Behind [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
I'm curious if you know how much effort/$ other countries are spending to recover their war deads from foreign battlefields. We seem to be at the front of the line in this arena.
Here is an interesting article from BBC about a Russian volunteers recovering their dead

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25589709
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you and to everyone involved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm an anthropologist, but not on the forensic side. i trained with some forensic folks at grad school, and am always curious about their work. some do museum stuff or occasionally consult with police departments, but often the people doing this kind of post-war stuff suffer from a lot of burnout. one friend of mine had been doing mass graves in the balkans, i think, and just had to walk away from it. tough work.

but from the sounds of things this is a 'happy' story, as this stuff goes, and you should all be proud of what you've achieved.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply