Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should a rule breaker in a world championship race be reported to WTC
Quote | Reply
Should a rule breaker be reported especially when it's in a World Championship race. Finisherpix Pictures show that this guy does not follow the rules. ?

Cover up.

Cycling and running with a bare chest is still prohibited. All athletes must wear a shirt, jersey or tri top at all times during the cycling and run portions of the race. This year, Ironman clarifies that rule further by following the ITU standard of “uniforms with a front zipper must not be undone below the point of the end of the breastbone (sternum).” Failure to zip up will result in disqualification.

Has anyone actually ever been DQ for this ?
Quote Reply
Re: Should a rule breaker in a world championship race be reported to WTC [Justatrigeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wqtch the Kona feed in a few weeks and ask this question. Ain't gonna happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Should a rule breaker in a world championship race be reported to WTC [Justatrigeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" I " feel (n=1) since it's a stupid rule it shouldn't be reported. Did it affect the outcome of his/her race?
Quote Reply
Re: Should a rule breaker in a world championship race be reported to WTC [alfonso132] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say yes it affected his/her race in only that the whole reason you take off the shirt is to not feel as "hot". But I'm not going to argue whether you turn them in or not, but yes I def think having to cover torso affects you.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given the rampant drafting and (most likely) doping in triathlon, I find it funny to be concerned about where the zipper ends :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't report this one. Let WTC enforce their own stupid rules.
Quote Reply
Re: Should a rule breaker in a world championship race be reported to WTC [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree it's a stupid rule 😂 But why does it even exist? A rule is a rule is it not ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justatrigeek wrote:
I agree it's a stupid rule 😂 But why does it even exist? A rule is a rule is it not ?

Speculation: I think when WTC announced a partnership with ITU back in January, part of the standardization had to do with appearance. The stiffs running ITU have a thing about bare skin on the chest which is why male athletes can only wear zippers in the back on the ITU circuit. My guess is that a compromise was made ... Ironman could keep front zippers but only if they don't go below the sternum lest spectators go into shock if they see too much skin. But it's OK if the fairer sex exposes 2/3rds of their bum on a high cut single piece kit. For the record, I'm fine with the latter.

A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed by both parties citing key priorities and next steps to ensure the growth and harmonization of the sport. In particular, the MOU focused on standardized rules, further collaboration on anti-doping efforts, national federation relations, sanctioning, a single-set of rules, and collaborative marketing initiatives to grow the sport at the age-group level.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...u.aspx#ixzz4t2nnhmes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justatrigeek wrote:

Agree stupid rule.

Iirc this falls under protest rules. Ie you would have to have photos and file a protest within X hours post event.

If you reported it now at best the athlete might get an email warning from WTC.

2c
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Should a rule breaker in a world championship race be reported to WTC [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was done because some cultures have a problem with guys being topless. Instead of just having the rule at those races WTC made it across the board.

It also makes getting races set up a bit easier when some cities may not want a bunch of half naked sweaty people running around their neighborhoods all day.
Quote Reply
Re: Should a rule breaker in a world championship race be reported to WTC [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So do you think WTC will eventually mandate rear zippers to achieve a "single set of rules"? I can't imagine that would help their bottom-line, especially in the Southeastern U.S. But for the record, I'll be wearing a rear-zip suit at Augusta 70.3 this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Should a rule breaker in a world championship race be reported to WTC [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in the end of the day, our role isnt to decide what rules is stupid and what rules is ok to follow. You enter the race and need to play by all the rules so sanction should be taken on anyone that dosnt follow the rules.

But to a certain point, i think you need to leave it to WTC to do the enforcing of the rules. we all know many infraction happen daily with no penalty. But in a perfect world, lets all stick to the rules.

i dont think i would report it. but i would sure ask the question to a official on race weekend for some clarification on this.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think they will. There is no reason for them to. Sure they may have signed onto this thing but since they aren't governed by ITU what ITU wants doesn't really come into play.

WTC is going to do what is best in their interests end of day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a rule to have consistency and standards across all races, all around the world. It makes sense for things like a standard drafting distance, disc brakes, helmet test stickers... But where it fails is since some countries are regressive and can't imagine guys with no shirts on, their rules dumb us all down to that level. It's hard to imagine there's places where they don't just body-shame women, but men too, but that seems to be the case.

Should you report? Imagine you did, and your name is in all the articles saying you're the reason why and you live on that guy's street and have to face him over it. If you still think you should, then maybe so.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Should a rule breaker in a world championship race be reported to WTC [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I'm in the opposite in that like Grant previously noted....to me it just looks back yard to go shirtless. So in that aspect to me wearing a uniform to cover majority of your torso just makes your product look better Imo.

eta: it reminds me of the adults playing at the local Ymca on Sunday afternoons. You wanna play shirts/skins scrimmaging, go for it. but you want to do that in a "game" situation....amateur hour in my opinion.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 18, 17 9:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure the rule against "no shirts" has been around much longer than the ITU partnership. I know I got some grief about it the last time I did Buffalo Springs and I think that was back in 2012. The zipper height aspect might be more recent though.
Quote Reply
Re: Should a rule breaker in a world championship race be reported to WTC [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fwiw, I raced my last IM run wearing a Kenny Souza / Faris Al Sultan -style man-bro ... with most of my (unappealing ) lower torso bare, but the zipper nicely up to mid chest. I was kinda hoping I would get called out, if only because it follows the letter of the law, but kinda thumbs its nose at the spirit of the law that others in the thread have raised.

Plus it was hot that day.
Quote Reply
Re: Should a rule breaker in a world championship race be reported to WTC [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I'm pretty sure the rule against "no shirts" has been around much longer than the ITU partnership. I know I got some grief about it the last time I did Buffalo Springs and I think that was back in 2012. The zipper height aspect might be more recent though.

The rule against no-shirts is definitely older and has been enforced at some WTC races. The new zipper rule is a 2017 initiative.
Quote Reply