Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What could actaully start a new Civil War.... [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Piggybacking off one of BK's posts...

He was referencing DACA ("including outright amnesty and citizenship, which could end up starting a civil war in this country these days"). While probably too histrionic, what would it take to actually start major unrest? Not just a violent protest or riot or single action.

Attempted secession of one or more states. Figure California and its Calexit foolishness, and then maybe Washington state and Oregon, followed by a couple of northeastern and/or coastal "blue" states on the eastern seaboard. That'd just about do it.

I thought we'd settled that states just can't secede, through the bloodiest war in our history, but memories are apparently short these days and some people, who should know better, don't believe we'd go that route again. But we would. It's called the "UNITED States" for a reason.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: What could actaully start a new Civil War.... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I'm with Mr. Duffy and his gun confiscation thing. "Come and (try to) take them." ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: What could actaully start a new Civil War.... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
New members, no matter how they leaned, can't unravel anything without a case to decide. //

Ya, so what. You think for one second if the court gets stacked that the right groups wouldn't be putting their lawyers on this toot sweet? I bet the heritage foundation has a list already in place, with lawyers and plaintiffs just waiting for the chance. Courts would be flooded with the conservative backlog that has morphed into the agenda of today.

I will even bet that the beginning is already here for this, a slightly right leaning court is going to fall hard right as soon as Ginsberg and Kennedy leave during Trumps reign.

They can start all the cases they want, but they have to wind their way through the system. And if folks don't fight them locally, they won't find their way to the SC. You could have a number of cases that affect local and state law but that don't affect federal law unless liberal groups try to fight it all the way to the SC. So yeah, that's what so what.

Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
monty wrote:
Civil war, that is a big one. Not really sure anything could start one like the previous one. But how about this, 4 Supreme Court justices who lean left all having lunch together and driving back to work a giant Chick-fil-A truck hits them head on and kills them all. Driver gets off with slap on the wrist and Trump now stacks the court with hard core right wingers, one of them David Duke. And since they only need 51 votes now that the old 60+ has been exploded with the last justice, they all get through.

They begin to unravel every single law including instantly making abortion illegal and calling it murder..

Maybe then???

An insuffient number of people care about abortion passionately enough to go to war

And most of the pro-choice crowd don't have a ny guns.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think there is much danger of an actual civil war. But if one comes it would be precipitated by serious economic issues. People with a lot to lose don't tend to blow their stuff up.

Have something like 2008 happen. Have hard line people in power who think it isn't the government's job to step in. Have it multiply beyond containment.

Either that or zombies.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: What could actaully start a new Civil War.... [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Have something like 2008 happen.

So a good buying opportunity will cause civil war....

Quote:
Have hard line people in power who think it isn't the government's job to step in.

...if the government won't "step in" and let the bargains be had?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Piggybacking off one of BK's posts...

He was referencing DACA ("including outright amnesty and citizenship, which could end up starting a civil war in this country these days"). While probably too histrionic, what would it take to actually start major unrest? Not just a violent protest or riot or single action.

Good question. I think it'd take a confluence of events rather than any one event.

For example a deep, deep depression with high unemployment + a political drama (say, an impeachment or assassination) + some hot button issue that divides states now inciting massive unrest (e.g. guns, immigration, etc.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The USA is already in a civil war. Just no major military battles yet. Also in a cultural/philosphical war against the rest of the western world. Fortunately that one will end the moment you get rid of Trump.
Quote Reply
Re: What could actaully start a new Civil War.... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
The USA is already in a civil war. Just no major military battles yet. Also in a cultural/philosphical war against the rest of the western world. Fortunately that one will end the moment you get rid of Trump.

And if he's reelected?
Quote Reply
Re: What could actaully start a new Civil War.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
You asked how the Trumper rebellion would compare with BLM.

I said similar.

You said I overestimate the number of trumpers. This implies that you have in mind an amount of BLMers.

I'm saying both are small minorities.

Trumper Rebellion = small group

BLM = small group.

The only way I could be overestimating the numbers of the trump Rebellion is if you are overestimating BLMers and think I'm using your same overestimate to estimate my estimate.

I'm not.

Is that clear enough for you?

Can I get back to Candy Crush now?

If you go by recent events, there are more Juggalos than either one. Those are the fucker we should be afraid of.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: What could actaully start a new Civil War.... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

And if he's reelected?

Under Trump, you're coming very close to abdicating your long held assumed position of world leader. And by "world leader" we mean moral leader and not military might. Its hard to be a "world leader" when nobody else agrees or respects the guy. Sixty years ago everyone wanted to be just like America. Nowadays much less so. Elect him again and watch American prestige around the world continue to fall. I don't mean to sound harsh, but the reality is that Trump is an eye roller with other world leaders . Can't wait to hear his upcoming speech at the UN. I'm sure that will go over real big with other western allies. His base will continue to say "so what", but the reality is that no country can function as an insular entity, not even the most powerful one.
Quote Reply
Re: What could actaully start a new Civil War.... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Confiscation of guns

I wonder how many gun owners feel strongly enough about gun ownership that they would potentially give up their lives, or at least be willing to take another, if the big bad gub'ment were to start confiscating guns (all other things in society being relatively equal to as they are today).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: What could actaully start a new Civil War.... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Confiscation of guns

I wonder how many gun owners feel strongly enough about gun ownership that they would potentially give up their lives, or at least be willing to take another, if the big bad gub'ment were to start confiscating guns (all other things in society being relatively equal to as they are today).

Exactly what I meant to say. How many of the loudmouths would be willing to die for their cause, whatever that may be.
Quote Reply
Re: What could actaully start a new Civil War.... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Under Trump, you're coming very close to abdicating your long held assumed position of world leader.
This again? We keep getting closer, and closer, and closer.
Quote Reply
Re: What could actaully start a new Civil War.... [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Duffy wrote:
You asked how the Trumper rebellion would compare with BLM.

I said similar.

You said I overestimate the number of trumpers. This implies that you have in mind an amount of BLMers.

I'm saying both are small minorities.

Trumper Rebellion = small group

BLM = small group.

The only way I could be overestimating the numbers of the trump Rebellion is if you are overestimating BLMers and think I'm using your same overestimate to estimate my estimate.

I'm not.

Is that clear enough for you?

Can I get back to Candy Crush now?

If you go by recent events, there are more Juggalos than either one. Those are the fucker we should be afraid of.

Years ago those two idiots were on Howard Stern somewhat regularly. The fact that they have a following of any sort is 10 times as depressing as Trump.
Quote Reply
Re: What could actaully start a new Civil War.... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They were on Stern last week. They are organizing a march in Washington to protest the juggalos being classified as a gang.
Quote Reply

Prev Next