Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I think Pubes just won the Atlantic City 70.3 [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is there any sort of internal irony for crossing an IM race finishline in 1st and getting the overall title when your fitness leading up to the race had you questioning whether to even do the race?

How was the hip post-race with the pancake flat run course?

If Herbert reaches out for an interview, it would be great to see you interview in Pubes-mode, squeezing in as many ST forum inside jokes as possible with a staged bike photo.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

Thanks...next up is Swim Run North Carolina in late October, and then my first ever open marathon on November 19 -- the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon in Nashville, TN. So basically, next up is a run focus for a bit

Congrats on your win, Kiley. Flying Monkey a beast of a marathon - very hilly. Have fun with it.

Attacking this day with enthusiasm unknown to mankind.
Quote Reply
Re: I think Pubes just won the Atlantic City 70.3 [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's a faster age grouper than me and I want to win a race someday... He needs to turn pro and give us all a chance.
Quote Reply
Re: I think Pubes just won the Atlantic City 70.3 [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a strange year for me in the sport. For many reasons, my training has never been less consistent but my race results have also rarely been better. My power numbers are down significantly from last year. I haven't had any really great training runs since March. I am far behind my annual volume goals across the board. But I have raced well.

I attribute this to two things

1) High volume and consistent training last year (and in 2012 and 2013). I think the better and more consistent and higher volume your training this season, the better you'll next season, and in five seasons (age-related declines excepted).

Isn't that the maddening and confounding thing about the sport? You can put in week after week, block after block of heroic training efforts, and then you can still pretty much suck on race day? But it's also the most redeeming. Because eventually you get out of it what you put in, even if it takes years, and even if you haven't done shit to deserve it in the immediate lead up...

2) Nutrition. I figured out this year that I need 500 calories on the bike (for 70.3) with ample electrolytes and no maltodextrin. The 320 to 360 I went with before simply wasn't enough for me. That extra 150 calories has really allowed me to execute a better run, even without very deep run fitness. And malto is basically gut rotting garbage -- for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Isn't that the maddening and confounding thing about the sport? You can put in week after week, block after block of heroic training efforts, and then you can still pretty much suck on race day? But it's also the most redeeming. Because eventually you get out of it what you put in, even if it takes years, and even if you haven't done shit to deserve it in the immediate lead up...

I'll internalize that and use it for the post-chattanooga emotional healing...

kileyay wrote:
Nutrition. I figured out this year that I need 500 calories on the bike (for 70.3) with ample electrolytes and no maltodextrin. The 320 to 360 I went with before simply wasn't enough for me. That extra 150 calories has really allowed me to execute a better run, even without very deep run fitness. And malto is basically gut rotting garbage -- for me.

500/hour? drink mix type?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: I think Pubes just won the Atlantic City 70.3 [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
500 total. 350ish of EFS liquid shot and 150ish of skratch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you run the 25mm Dash Gretchen, or the older narrower one? That's the one I'm thinking of getting for next season when I switch to clinchers. How'd you set it up? How'd you like it?
Quote Reply
Re: I think Pubes just won the Atlantic City 70.3 [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Did you run the 25mm Dash Gretchen, or the older narrower one? That's the one I'm thinking of getting for next season when I switch to clinchers. How'd you set it up? How'd you like it?

I ran the new Dash clincher disc (v2 I guess). I had planned to set it up tubeless but it only showed up late last week and I didn't get a chance. I ran a 23mm GPTT with a latex tube and a shit ton of sealant in the tube.

The disc sounds great -- both free hub engagement sound and whomp whomp sound -- and it's really light. Seems exceptionally fragile to me, but it's my first disc and I hear they are all like that. In my opinion the braking / brake track is hall of fame terrible. I mean cheap, China carbon horrific. There is absolutely no justification for a $2100 wheel to have such poor braking. If it were hilly and/or raining, I would likely not run it at all. Borderline dangerous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"next up is Swim Run North Carolina in late October"
------------------
We look forward having you up here. I'll be announcing . . . what do you prefer to be called :-)?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: I think Pubes just won the Atlantic City 70.3 [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We should hold a competition here on ST to write Kiley's "interesting fact about you for the announcer".
Last edited by: knighty76: Sep 18, 17 11:52
Quote Reply
Re: I think Pubes just won the Atlantic City 70.3 [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard he lost a nut in a bondage mishap.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input, yeah I'm not going to fork out 2k+ on a wheel if the brake track is crap, unless they do something/upgrade I'll look at other options. The weight and tubeless compatibility are what really had me considering it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
"next up is Swim Run North Carolina in late October"
------------------
We look forward having you up here. I'll be announcing . . . what do you prefer to be called :-)?

PUBLIUS!

POOB-LEE-US
Last edited by: kileyay: Sep 18, 17 19:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
500 total. 350ish of EFS liquid shot and 150ish of skratch

i wish i could survive off of that. i'm 125lbs race day and i consume about 300 per hour on a hot day, 350 on a fair weather day and 400 on a cold day.... otherwise, i bonk!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

POOB-LEE-US

I get lost in all of your various personalities at times, so I am sure it has been answered prior and surely will get me yelled at for asking, but is is Publius as in Philadelphia-based pen name of Alexander Hamilton?
Quote Reply
Re: I think Pubes just won the Atlantic City 70.3 [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
I get lost in all of your various personalities at times, so I am sure it has been answered prior and surely will get me yelled at for asking, but is is Publius as in Philadelphia-based pen name of Alexander Hamilton?

Actually, no person before you has put it together that the genesis of that user name was in fact Alexander Hamilton, who is by far my favorite historical figure and surely the biggest troll out of any classical American figure. Hamilton was smarter than every other founding father, and not by a little bit -- in my view, his intellect was stronger than Madison and Jefferson combined. He lacked the judgment of Washington -- he was a loose cannon, for sure -- but his writings were, in my opinion, more powerful than those written by any other in his day. The most important thing that Hamilton (and Publius) did was challenge. He challenged existing ideas. He injected himself into and inflamed dialogue. He was a prick, basically. His cause was noble but his methodology was decidedly underhanded. But ultimately, Publius and Hamilton wished for a better status quo.

We want that in triathlon. That was the idea behind the original Publius.

Anyways, back to the self-congratulatory circle jerk...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to read about the relationship of Washington and Lafayette...very insightful if you have not done so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
mike s wrote:

I ran the new Dash clincher disc (v2 I guess). I had planned to set it up tubeless but it only showed up late last week and I didn't get a chance. I ran a 23mm GPTT with a latex tube and a shit ton of sealant in the tube.

The disc sounds great -- both free hub engagement sound and whomp whomp sound -- and it's really light. Seems exceptionally fragile to me, but it's my first disc and I hear they are all like that. In my opinion the braking / brake track is hall of fame terrible. I mean cheap, China carbon horrific. There is absolutely no justification for a $2100 wheel to have such poor braking. If it were hilly and/or raining, I would likely not run it at all. Borderline dangerous.

Reg. the Dash disc, it does "feel" flimsy, but i have man-handled that disc trying to install various tubeless options. There isn't a single sign of my handling on the disc. Which surprised me a lot... (seriously VCS on rim tape on that disc almost had me giving op..) i ended up getting it to run tubeless on hutchi fusion with no rim tape.

Didnt notice any whomp whomp, but maybe that's just my race helmet. It is definitely light and doesnt have as much inertia as e.g. super-9 when tipping in and out of corners. It also seems fast, but that's just guessing.

More importantly, i think the brake track is adequate for any non-hilly non-rainy course. Haven't tried hills or rain with it. In other words, seems to be your standard carbon brake track.
Quote Reply
Re: I think Pubes just won the Atlantic City 70.3 [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"interesting fact about you for the announcer".
-----------------------
I certainly welcome this for any competitor. I try very hard to encourage and support the athletes as well as being informational and helpful to the spectators.

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
"interesting fact about you for the announcer".
-----------------------
I certainly welcome this for any competitor. I try very hard to encourage and support the athletes as well as being informational and helpful to the spectators.

Semi-related, this popped up on the IM Wales Facebook page last week, gave me a chuckle:

"I registered for Ironman Wales 2017 months in advance but the system threw a wobbly and put my country as Micronesia. I changed and saved this a few times and thought I'd got it sussed until I went to registration and found out that I was indeed still representing the mighty country of Micronesia. I had to Google it and found out it's nearish to Australia.
Onto race day and as I got out of the water on my second lap the commentators were discussing the first ever Micronesian entrant at Ironman Wales. I now had even more reason to finish this race... I couldn't let Micronesia down!
Fast forward several hours (lots and lots of hours) and I got to enjoy the whole finish line experience. After I heard the words 'Tim you are an Ironman' the MC's spotted my number badge as they must have been on the lookout for the Micronesian entry. I got interviewed briefly on the finish line in front of the crowd and had a laugh explaining that I was actually from Reading!
Now the real winner here is that as I am the only 'Micronesian' to ever enter Ironman Wales and also a finisher, technically I am the course record holder for my adopted country! Also ranked number 1 as confirmed in the email today haha"
Quote Reply
Re: I think Pubes just won the Atlantic City 70.3 [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I LOVE that story!! Typically for larger races we have a chip reader 50 yds or so from the finish line so the names and info pop up on a ipad (or what ever). Not as infrequently as you would think, information gets swapped, mixed up, or a batch of racers come through at the same time and the stories get mixed up. There is also Mic liberty to make up good stories if they seem to fit. I believe Micronesia now goes in my announcing file! I quess that is where Pubes is from :-)!

David
Last edited by: david: Sep 19, 17 6:40
Quote Reply

Prev Next