Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Roll down for IMLP 70.3
Quote | Reply
 Is there anyway to tell how far the roll down went for Lake Placid 70.3, or for other races in general?

Or is there a general rule of thumb to determine what might be a good goal time to shoot for if hoping for an AG Qualifying slot?

Obviously different races will have different degrees of toughness (course, competition,etc) and the destination of worlds will likely impact who takes a roll down slot.
So maybe too many variables but I was having this discussion with a pretty solid AG friend and was wondering what he might need to shoot for if he's ever want a chance at nailing a slot.

He's 40something and probably a 5ish hour 70.3 guy. Faster than I am. I'd need to cut a lot off everything to have a prayer lol.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Re: Roll down for IMLP 70.3 [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2018 70.3 WC is in South Africa. It will roll deep in most AGs.

2019 Nice so that will be more popular to most in the US.

It now just matters on location. It will be back in US in 20 I guess

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Roll down for IMLP 70.3 [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what's deep?
Rolling down to 5th place AG? 10th place? Further? I've never stayed for the awards roll down since I've never been a contender so I have no concept of how it works or how far it goes. But all this has me prett curious.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will probably get me blasted but...For ME PERSONALLY when I was "close" to qualifying I didn't go to rolldown and hope for a spot to be handed to me. I looked at it like I just needed to work a little harder and earn it. That was just what I wanted to do though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mendeldave wrote:
So what's deep?
Rolling down to 5th place AG? 10th place? Further? I've never stayed for the awards roll down since I've never been a contender so I have no concept of how it works or how far it goes. But all this has me prett curious.

Search for the maine 70.3 thread, I posted that roll-down. But even with Chatt (although with many more slots) roll-downs were deep, deep meaning top 20 had chances in many AGs. At Maine it went down to top 10 some outside (my AG, M30-34 went to 13th). I would bet Placid didn't roll that much considering how most of the pointy end was at WC. Had I raced that, with my abilities I could have been 5-6 in my AG and I am NOT that fast. Usually 11-20 at 70.3 I have a couple friends at AC so I hope to hear how that one goes but still much of the pointy end aren't going to be around. Except for ST's favourite Kiley but I don't think he cares for slots anyway.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that F45-49 went at least to 20th.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll down for IMLP 70.3 [ARtridad74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ARtridad74 wrote:
This will probably get me blasted but...For ME PERSONALLY when I was "close" to qualifying I didn't go to rolldown and hope for a spot to be handed to me. I looked at it like I just needed to work a little harder and earn it. That was just what I wanted to do though.

I have a similar philosophy. I'm only going if I qualify not with a rolldown. I want to feel like I deserved it.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll down for IMLP 70.3 [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
ARtridad74 wrote:

I have a similar philosophy. I'm only going if I qualify not with a rolldown. I want to feel like I deserved it.

How do you guys control who shows up? I have finished in 10th at a 70.3 with the same time as the previous year when I won my age group. There is no logic in what some of you guys are saying because on any given day your race could be stacked or not depending on who goes where. Rolldown is a qualification....your outright qual could be 10th or 15th place at the race 2 states over or over in Europe or Australia. There is no logic to what you guys are saying. They are all qualifications. It's just how the system works and let's not even get going on age groups having over or under representation of slots....the number of slots, and who shows up is out of your control, so any slot you get is a straight up qualification. You guys may be inflating your worth patting yourself on the back for outright qual at an ustacked race or beating yourself up for no qual at a stacked race. The true measure is where you finish at the WC event or Kona, not how you got there.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll down for IMLP 70.3 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with Dev. Nobody gives a shit how you got there.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
zedzded wrote:
ARtridad74 wrote:

How do you guys control who shows up? .

A BUSTED KNEE CAP
Quote Reply
Re: Roll down for IMLP 70.3 [xcchampion11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xcchampion11 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
zedzded wrote:
ARtridad74 wrote:

How do you guys control who shows up? .

A BUSTED KNEE CAP

Did you engineer this:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
zedzded wrote:
ARtridad74 wrote:

How do you guys control who shows up? I have finished in 10th at a 70.3 with the same time as the previous year when I won my age group. There is no logic in what some of you guys are saying because on any given day your race could be stacked or not depending on who goes where. Rolldown is a qualification....your outright qual could be 10th or 15th place at the race 2 states over or over in Europe or Australia. There is no logic to what you guys are saying. They are all qualifications. It's just how the system works and let's not even get going on age groups having over or under representation of slots....the number of slots, and who shows up is out of your control, so any slot you get is a straight up qualification. You guys may be inflating your worth patting yourself on the back for outright qual at an ustacked race or beating yourself up for no qual at a stacked race. The true measure is where you finish at the WC event or Kona, not how you got there.

Yeah some valid points. There are some guns in my age group that aren't that far off the slower pros, so if 3 or 4 of then turn up, there's no chance of me getting on the podium. I guess if I don't place, but I do get a good time, have a good race, meet my goals etc then yeah take a spot. I wouldn't want to be finishing 30th or something and taking a spot. Similarly with Kona, I don't want to travel to China and qualify in some 70.3. If others want to do that, then that's fine. I don't have a problem with that. Had a few mates go to Chattanooga despite finishing well outside the top 20. They had a great time, good on them, but it's just not how I want to do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll down for IMLP 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I'm with Dev. Nobody gives a shit how you got there.

odds are these folks aren't making their decision based on what others think. Everyone is entitled to their own internal measure as to if they are prepared to take a roll down, I am not sure why a few vocal folks always knock those who have "different" internal measures. Perhaps it is just hard for some people to understand that there is more to racing and setting personal goals than "qualifying"?

To me the worst thing about our current long course culture is if someone finishes 3rd AG at either a Full or Half, the question of "did you get a slot?" is inevitably asked before they are even congratulated for an amazing performance on the given day.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll down for IMLP 70.3 [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
zedzded wrote:
ARtridad74 wrote:

Yeah some valid points. There are some guns in my age group that aren't that far off the slower pros, so if 3 or 4 of then turn up, there's no chance of me getting on the podium. I guess if I don't place, but I do get a good time, have a good race, meet my goals etc then yeah take a spot. I wouldn't want to be finishing 30th or something and taking a spot. Similarly with Kona, I don't want to travel to China and qualify in some 70.3. If others want to do that, then that's fine. I don't have a problem with that. Had a few mates go to Chattanooga despite finishing well outside the top 20. They had a great time, good on them, but it's just not how I want to do it.

You know full well that it will be a cold day in hell before you every finish 30th in a qualifier race in your age group so it is easy to say that and you also know full well that if the top dogs all showed up, and you did a great race that would normally be a podium when they don't show up, then you also take the slot. So basically what you are saying is, " I really won't take a slot unless I do my normal good race and since normally that's a podium, well I won't take anything less than a podium....well unless all the studs who beat me at worlds show up".

The reasons why I beat up on you is because you're normally a podium guy and even though going to world's via a podium is your internal metric on what you want to achieve to get to worlds (with the exception of all the world's studs showing up), the way is comes across is that if you don't podium you don't deserve to go.

I've qualified outright for Kona and Worlds and gone via rolldown. No one cares how you got there, and really its kind of stupid to base your qualification cut off based on others when the slot comes to you.... in the sense that you can only control your own performance and your place is arbitrary. If Sanders races 25-29, Kienle 30-34, Frodo 35-39, Crowie 40-44, Lessing 45-49, ....pretty well everyone here gets destroyed, so its beyond arbitrary who shows up and who races in what division. Chances are, the fastest guys are not at your local race unless you are the world's podium guy and even then the fastest guy in your age range is racing pro anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
zedzded wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
zedzded wrote:
ARtridad74 wrote:

You know full well that it will be a cold day in hell before you every finish 30th in a qualifier race in your age group so it is easy to say that and you also know full well that if the top dogs all showed up, and you did a great race that would normally be a podium when they don't show up, then you also take the slot. So basically what you are saying is, " I really won't take a slot unless I do my normal good race and since normally that's a podium, well I won't take anything less than a podium....well unless all the studs who beat me at worlds show up".

The reasons why I beat up on you is because you're normally a podium guy and even though going to world's via a podium is your internal metric on what you want to achieve to get to worlds (with the exception of all the world's studs showing up), the way is comes across is that if you don't podium you don't deserve to go.

I've qualified outright for Kona and Worlds and gone via rolldown. No one cares how you got there, and really its kind of stupid to base your qualification cut off based on others when the slot comes to you.... in the sense that you can only control your own performance and your place is arbitrary. If Sanders races 25-29, Kienle 30-34, Frodo 35-39, Crowie 40-44, Lessing 45-49, ....pretty well everyone here gets destroyed, so its beyond arbitrary who shows up and who races in what division. Chances are, the fastest guys are not at your local race unless you are the world's podium guy and even then the fastest guy in your age range is racing pro anyway.

I've only podiumed in smaller races, finished 6th in the Busselton 70.3. Hoping to get on the podium in December. I would take a rolldown spot for the worlds or Kona. But I'm not sure I'd want to do it if I had a bad race and got a shit time. No-one cares how you get to Kona, but I care. Hence the reason if I won a lottery spot I wouldn't take it and I wouldn't do a KQ 70.3 either. I know someone who came last in their AG and qualified for the worlds and came last in her AG in an IM and still KQ, I wouldn't do that, it would leave me feeling empty. For me, a spot at the worlds or Kona is the prize for training hard and qualifying.
Quote Reply