Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bare Composites Wheels?
Quote | Reply
CNC Carbon filament wound wheels, owned by racers at a pretty cheap price point. I can't tell what the hubs are, but the spokes are Sapim CX-Ray and the nipples Sapim too.They're $1,500 but I just ordered on the pre-sale for $1,000. Seems to be good value and I'm intrigued by the non-molded carbon. Anybody have thoughts?

https://barecomposites.com/

Eli Curt

I'm Professionally Amateur. Are you? Become an ambassador today!
Chimps in Training!
Quote Reply
Re: Bare Composites Wheels? [Livetotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Blatter mold?" When I see a typo like that on the main page, it makes me wonder about the credibility of everything behind it.

Edit: Clicked around a bit more to try to understand more about their wheels. It looks like the website is not fully baked yet. Most of the links loop back to the home page. I would love to see more about how they do filament winding on a complex shape like a wheel.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Sep 15, 17 12:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interested to see how they go.
The dudes behind them, are marketers and internet guys and athletes.
And from what i have seen, completed ignored some people who ask for any info regarding performance.
The most definitive response they gave was - 'competitive with leading competitors'

I hope they are amazing for everyones sake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hubs are definitely Bitex (note the dimensions diagrams, exactly the same as on the Bare website).

Front

Rear

I've had good experience with Bitex (I have 3 sets of wheels with their hubs), so take that for what it's worth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is essential oils MLM for wheels, nothing special, cheap wheels that are overpriced. Stick to HED, Zipp, boyd, November, Enve, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just dropped $1,000 on wheels that no one has ever seen or ridden, that are made using a new (for wheels) manufacturing method, for which there is no aero or safety data and no track record of any sort?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Bare Composites Wheels? [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impressive (or...odd?) that for a brand new company with a brand new rim they have so many options available....
3 different rim depths, each offered in two different widths, each in both clincher or tubular.........
12 different rims?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feels like Dished all over again. And the typos...spelled the name of their wheels wrong on the landing page...

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Bare Composites Wheels? [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
Feels like Dished all over again. And the typos...spelled the name of their wheels wrong on the landing page...
Yep, tracing the Whois registration makes them look a little sketchy. Their registration organization is BuyCarbonDirect.com, which looks like a generic frame and wheel reseller. It has only existed since February of this year. And, it looks like they registered the bare domain in April. My gut is that it is unlikely that they made the big jump from generic product reseller to designer & manufacturer in just a few months.
Quote Reply
Re: Bare Composites Wheels? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like 'Blade Carbon Wheels' is using the same rim....

http://www.bladecarbonwheels.com/rims/

5th picture down, the 'rattlesnake'!! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Bare Composites Wheels? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocite were the first to introduce filament winding on rims back in 2015.
Venn wheels sold them claiming great strides in weight and consistency.
They then went on to have many failures in the field and I never really heard much from then since.

Maybe they have it nailed by now.
Quote Reply