Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 3 weeks prior to full
Quote | Reply
I am signed up for Challenge Roth 2018 but I am considering Eagleman 70.3, which is 3 weeks prior.

My coach tells me it's possible, but doesn't want to go as far as saying it's a good idea (and he is a good coach, he gave me a trucker hat).

I'd rather do well at Roth, but I have a good reason to go to Eagleman (she is a very good reason).

Also, it is impossible for me to do a race ''easy''. I am not mature enough...

What do you guys thing?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 3 weeks prior to full [Mouflon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How "fit" are you? How well do you recover from big training?

Three weeks out should essentially be your last big weekend. So it is non-ideal. That said, depending on your experience level, it may not actually be a terrible idea. You have a couple of options here as far as I see.

1) 4 weeks out from Roth (IE week before Eagleman) you do your last really big training weekend. Then at Eagleman use it as a dress rehearsal for Roth. Race at exactly your planned full power and run pace. Don't race the 70.3. Participate in it at 140.6 pacing.

2) If Roth isn't your first rodeo for the full, or second, third, etc (meaning you are quite experienced at the full distance), AND your training has been going well, AND your fitness is where you want it, AND you recover well from big training, then race Eagleman as above at 140.6 pacing. Then the next weekend do your last big training weekend two weeks out from Roth. If you pace the 70.3 as if it were a 140.6 you *shouldn't* need too much recovery if you are truly in good 140.6 shape.

Personally I wouldn't do it, and would show up to Eagleman as a "spectator" and do a huge training weekend around the race. However, I wouldn't say not to do it if you have a good reason, and you can keep your pacing in check. It's not like a 4.5-5hr "workout" at 140.6 power is bad training by any stretch. I would probably still go out and ride somewhat long the day before the race.

What I would absolutely NOT do is race the 70.3 as if it were a 70.3. Don't even think of that.
Last edited by: g_lev: Sep 15, 17 5:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have to ask you already know the answer. Like when my Sailors would ask "Chief do I need a haircut".

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mouflon wrote:
I am signed up for Challenge Roth 2018 but I am considering Eagleman 70.3, which is 3 weeks prior.

My coach tells me it's possible, but doesn't want to go as far as saying it's a good idea (and he is a good coach, he gave me a trucker hat).

I'd rather do well at Roth, but I have a good reason to go to Eagleman (she is a very good reason).

Also, it is impossible for me to do a race ''easy''. I am not mature enough...

What do you guys thing?

Go to Eagleman!!!!! :-) What if she's the one! :-)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 3 weeks prior to full [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three weeks is a lifetime (said the BOP'er).......I'd be all over it. As for the Navy reference........LOL, I'm a trusty shellback snipe MM2 from 32nd street circa 1981-1986! Funny to see a squid reference out here amongst the ST tribe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sherpa and cheer for HER at Eagleman. She will appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 3 weeks prior to full [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:

What I would absolutely NOT do is race the 70.3 as if it were a 70.3. Don't even think of that.

If he recovers well why not?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 3 weeks prior to full [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
Sherpa and cheer for HER at Eagleman. She will appreciate it.

Depending where things are with this lady, Sherpa-ing might be not the way to go. Spectate and cheer and congratulate, yes! And don't race.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 3 weeks prior to full [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone.
It's easy to be so focused in our sport and loose sight of what really matters in life. So conclusion is I'm going, but to cheer, not race. I'll still try and fit the necessary training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 weeks is fine. Where I live we have a 70.3 and a full 4 weeks apart, plenty do both. The only risk I guess is if you've trained for 3, 4 months for the full and injury yourself in the 70.3.
Quote Reply