Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for the mountain bikers- wheel size/suspension
Quote | Reply
I am a beginner/intermediate mountain biker, I used to ride trails when I was younger, just got back into it in the last two years. I have been riding an inexpensive 29er hardtail on the local trails here in New England- twisty, rocky, rooty, ledgy, climby- pretty technical with lots of natural features to keep things interesting. I have been presented with a unique opportunity to pick up a full suspension Giant Trance 27.5er and have taken a handful of demo rides on my preferred trails. Overall impressions so far on the 3-4 hours I have spent on it is that the 29er felt more adept at rolling up and over rock piles/natural features and a tad more confident descending. The full suspension is noticeably lighter, more maneuverable, and nimble. To compare, the 29er felt more like a tank rolling up and over and the 27.5 more like a small sports car. For those that do/have ridden both, is this just a matter of getting used to the characteristics of this new frame/suspension/wheel size and building back the same confidence I have on my 29er or is this just in my head? I have no problem and would enjoy learning and adapting my riding style, but have a small fear in the back of my head that the bike cannot ride like my 29er hardtail. I would like to get out to the half dozen or so lift accessed areas out here in the near future, and the hardtail is an obvious no-go there, that is the primary impetus towards going full sus. Again, unique opportunity on this purchase, so I would love to make this bike work.

"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Re: Question for the mountain bikers- wheel size/suspension [gluestick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got back into mountain biking within the last few years and started off on a cheap Specialized 29er hardtail and recently bought a used (again, cheap) Giant Trance full suspension 27.5 bike. I have limited experience on other 27.5 full suspension bikes as I have demoed a Pivot, Santa Cruz and Yeti each one time. I can tell you that it takes a little while to get adjusted to each bike and it is often difficult to get a good feel for one when demoing it because there are always tweaks you would make if you owned the bike. Although, side note, I'd buy that Yeti SB5 in a heartbeat if I had the money as it was nice! I think you'll like the Trance once you get used to it, especially if you're wanting to go to a lift access bike park. Maybe keep the 29er hardtail and use it for different trails/Xterra. I think the confidence decending, etc. will come once you get used to your own bike and make any necessary changes to the stem, handlebars, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the mountain bikers- wheel size/suspension [gluestick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Trance is a nice bike but it is a trail bike. If you are doing general mountain bike riding it will work well. If you are going to race and want to stick with Giant then wait for an Anthem.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the mountain bikers- wheel size/suspension [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have demeo'd and ridden a ton of bikes in the last 2 years, both 29er and 27/5's HT's and FS's.
I think your assessment is spot on, 29ers roll over things, and 27'5's are quicker and more nimble.
Neither one is better or worse, it depends on your riding style, trails etc...
At the moment I have a FS 29er which is great, but I do that my next bike will be 27.5 because I like the quickness, and feel like I can jump over obstacles even though the 29'er would d\roll over them better.
However in your case, if you have already ridden it 3-4 hours and you don't like it yet, don't buy it.
As good as a deal as it is, it doesn't seem like it fits your riding style, try and find a 29'er Full Squish, I think you will love that.
In the meantime just rent a bike the few times you go to a lift access park, and enjoy your bike the rest of the time.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What inexpensive 29er are your riding and how tall are you?

What do you want out of your MTB? Fun up and down the hills, fast and fun, fast and racy, go all day, etc...?

David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gluestick wrote:
Overall impressions so far on the 3-4 hours I have spent on it is that the 29er felt more adept at rolling up and over rock piles/natural features and a tad more confident descending.

I have a 2017 Trance Advanced 2 and a hard tail 29'er. The Trance/27.5 shines with tight switchbacks and places where maneuverability is important.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IME, the differences you're feeling between your hardtail and the new bike are more about the geometry differences (wheelbase, fork trail, etc.) than the wheel diameters.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the mountain bikers- wheel size/suspension [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for the replies. Current HT is a Bikesdirect Motobecane Fantom 29er. Sturdy (heavy) frame, decent spec. Converted to a 1X. Really no complaints for the $. Goal would be to hit a lift service park maybe 4-5 times next year. I live near some state forest as well as a few mountain bike friendly land trusts with a few stunts/drops/skinnies/etc built up and really only MTB for fun. Don't care about Strava segments/HR/etc, only about having fun and being in the woods. No intent to ever race MTB or xterra. Average speed with all of the climbing and technical rocks/roots in my area is only 4-5 mph. There is some flow trail, but much more twisty singletrack to ride around me. I have found a lot of enjoyment in sessioning rock piles/log roll overs/stunts and enjoying a good IPA while I sit in the woods and look at the trees. Total opposite to my approach to road cycling, and I have to say I am preferring that approach to cycling lately. Maybe it's my midlife crisis, I'm not sure.

I am thinking that Tom A may have a good point regarding geometry differences that I am feeling. The Giant is much easier to pick up the front end and move through technical sections. The 29er is heavier to move around on the trail and I typically plow through more technical places. Perhaps I just need more seat time to improve/refine my riding style. I have the luxury of demo'ing the bike for a prolonged period, so I am thinking I may swap in a shorter stem and some better tires to get a real feel for what this bike can do for me.

-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the Yeti SB5.5. I currently have a Tallboy LTc that's a few years old and it can plow through anything I dare to do, but it's not exactly nimble. If you are on the taller side, just stick with the 29's. There are several that are pretty dang playful. Short chain-stays with a relatively slack head tube and you are golden. If price is the bottom line, wait for the right deal. It's the end of the season so you should be able to find something.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the mountain bikers- wheel size/suspension [__Tron__] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response. I have gotten in a bunch more rides and have been making adjustments to stem length/handlebar height/suspension and am now in a very good place with the Trance. I am chalking it up to getting used to a new geometry, poor initial set up, and simple seat time to get used to the new normal. I am very happy with it now and won't be going back to the old bike. Just further evidence of how useless a short demo ride, or in my case several demo rides can be on a new bike with a "generic" bike shop set up.

Along the same lines, I just bought a mattress with a generous "try it for x days and love it or exchange for another" return policy. It would be great if bike shops could somehow swing that. I know it is likely unrealistic as they would end of with a floor full of demo bikes and nothing left to sell at full retail pricing.

-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply