Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Resuming training after illness
Quote | Reply
Came down with a stomach virus on Sunday night. Finally feel like I can walk around again without having to lay down and take a break every 100 yards. Problem is I feel like I was already a little behind in my training for a HIM that is 6 weeks out. Had plans to push myself a little harder this week before getting sick.

For those who have dealt with a 24/48 hour stomach bug in training, how long do you rest up before getting back to it? I figure I'll just swap this week out as one of my lower volume "recovery" weeks and start kicking it into gear next week (which was supposed to be the "recovery" week), but would like to get something done. I don't want to do more harm than good though. Already worried that I put in a pretty big effort on Sunday only to lose any and all nutrition that followed it up the next few days.
Quote Reply
Re: Resuming training after illness [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep it easy for a day or two. Do a couple easy recovery rides today/tomorrow. See how you feel. My experience is you will KNOW when you are ready to get back at it. Delay intensity/big workouts another day past that point. My worst case is usually after getting the Flu or some other debilitating virus that takes a week or so to run its corse. After that I generally feel like this:

Day 1: recovery ride. ugh. Just doesn't feel right. Weak&slow.
Day 2: recovery ride. Meh, I'm okay. Still a little off.
Day 3: recovery ride (maybe a little longer). I'm feeling pretty good, maybe I'll jam up this hill/sprint/etc.
Day 4: God this is killing me (try to keep it under an hour no matter what). I'm ready to go. <<<wait until tomorrow>>>
Day 5: resume normal training....maybe a "half-workout" depending on length of illness.

For a 24/48 hours stomach thing, you probably enter the above around day 2/3. Maybe day4...just depends on "you" and the "bug".
Quote Reply
Re: Resuming training after illness [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I came down with a horrible cold a week before IMC. Thought I am gonna die, my race is toast etc... Ended up having PRs in all three. I just rested and slept. Few days or a week won't make much if any difference. Listen to your body and do what feels right.
Quote Reply