Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Survey: Only 26% of American Could Name All Three Branches of Government [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
The 33% is the most Disturbing.

I could see quite a few people leaving out the Supreme Court and instead listing the House and Senate separately.

When did the Supreme Court become a branch of government?

i could see this imprecision being made. based on the scant knowledge of branches of govt i think it would be depressing to quiz the average person on what comprises the judicial branch. i doubt very many know that it's SCOTUS, appeals, and district courts (and some others i'm vaguely familiar with).

how many people do you think know that u.s. attys are part of the executive but u.s. district courts are part of the judicial?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Survey: Only 26% of American Could Name All Three Branches of Government [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
klehner wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
The 33% is the most Disturbing.

I could see quite a few people leaving out the Supreme Court and instead listing the House and Senate separately.

i could see this imprecision being made. based on the scant knowledge of branches of govt i think it would be depressing to quiz the average person on what comprises the judicial branch. i doubt very many know that it's SCOTUS, appeals, and district courts (and some others i'm vaguely familiar with).

how many people do you think know that u.s. attys are part of the executive but u.s. district courts are part of the judicial?

I guess we can count FishyJoe as one whose response would depress you, then.

Anyone who paid attention to the sacking of US Attorneys by the head of the Executive branch would know where they lie.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Survey: Only 26% of American Could Name All Three Branches of Government [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Anyone who paid attention to the sacking of US Attorneys by the head of the Executive branch would know where they lie.

of course. but if only 1 in 4 can name the 3 branches, what percentage of your neighbors and mine can answer questions another level down? as the bad sergeant said to the good in "platoon", "there's the way things ought to be; and there's the way things are."

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Survey: Only 26% of American Could Name All Three Branches of Government [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After all, how many of us -- once we learn these things in school -- retain all that much of it into later adulthood?
---

You think we wait until adulthood to forget stuff. I teach stuff and have kids forget it by the next day. They even go so far as:
Them: You never taught us this
Me: Open up to the yesterday's notes and re-read the first entry
Them: Well, umm, I...
Me: It might be a good idea for you to study just a smidgeon. At the very least, re-read your notes before making accusations
Them: You suck

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Survey: Only 26% of American Could Name All Three Branches of Government [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
After all, how many of us -- once we learn these things in school -- retain all that much of it into later adulthood?
---

You think we wait until adulthood to forget stuff. I teach stuff and have kids forget it by the next day. They even go so far as:
Them: You never taught us this
Me: Open up to the yesterday's notes and re-read the first entry
Them: Well, umm, I...
Me: It might be a good idea for you to study just a smidgeon. At the very least, re-read your notes before making accusations
Them: You suck

Hahahahaha! At least they know the ad hominem attack. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Survey: Only 26% of American Could Name All Three Branches of Government [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is worse. 38% are creationists.
  • 38% say God created man in present form, lowest in 35 years

But the number is going down. Less religion equal more knowledge.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/210956/belief-creationist-view-humans-new-low.aspx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

Quote:
The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish.

The Supreme Court is the only one that's Constitutionally required!
Quote Reply

Prev Next