Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Avg. HR on the bike for a 140.6 [t1dtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
t1dtri wrote:
I swam a 1:41, biked the 8:15 (yes it felt like a very very strong effort) and ran a 5:55 (which for me is not a bad pace for a run of that length, my stand alone marathon PR is a 5:41). My average HR on the run was 146 which I was pleasantly surprised with. I kept waiting for my bike HR to catch up with me on the run and make me pay but it didn't really come.

So for my two fulls, my HR was 136 and 135 for a 5:47 and a 5:32. This is Z2 for me (my HR max is 185). No idea what my power was.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are a couple articles I wrote a long time ago, not much has changed;

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...s/coachcorn/max.html

Perhaps shed some light on your situation and give you some tools to go forward...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
t1dtri wrote:
So I completed my first 140.6 this passed weekend at IMWI (last year, I attempted but DNF'd at mile 18 of the run). I do work with an excellent coach and we are working on my cardio base but it is just simply not where it needs to be. I biked and 8:15 on Sunday with an average HR of 164 bpm for the 112 miles with a max of 189bpm. My power was also pretty low but my heart rate is really what holds me back. My question for all of you is what was your average heart rate on the bike of a 140.6 and has anyone else struggled with consistently high heart rates on the bike and had results lowering it? I just so badly want to not have to be that person that is constantly skirting cut offs and need to hear from others that have been there.

EDIT: It seems I did not add enough information to the this post originally. I am a 26 year old female. I do have HR zone they are as follows:
Zone 1: 119-150 bpm
Zone 2: 151-162 bpm
Zone 3: 163-170 bpm
Zone 4: 171-181 bpm
Zone 5a: 182-85 bpm

How much do you weigh? What is your height?

Your heart rate seems really high. But what it really says is a lack of fitness. How much do you bike per week? How much do you swim per week?
Quote Reply
Re: Avg. HR on the bike for a 140.6 [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
t1dtri wrote:

Yes, I have power, my power is chronically lower than I would like. My avg power was only 81 watts. I weigh around 135 lbs.

Must be something wrong with your PM.

^^ THIS ^^

At first, I didn't know that we had to calibrate our 920xt with the power meter before every ride as the output uses air temperature to give us our readings. Its as easy as three buttons to do. I was sitting on a bike going 23 mph over an olympic bike course and wondering why my average watts was only 140...

^^ NOT NECESSARILY ^^

My wife did two 140.6's (Florida and Cozumel). Her power was just under 90w for both races.

Want to start crushing your run? Up your power. Spend 3-6 months dedicated to biking. It's an absolute game changer. Take it from someone who's been there and done that. Get a TrainerRoad subscription and go to work. You'll be amazed at what happens both on the bike and the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Avg. HR on the bike for a 140.6 [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobike wrote:
t1dtri wrote:
So I completed my first 140.6 this passed weekend at IMWI (last year, I attempted but DNF'd at mile 18 of the run). I do work with an excellent coach and we are working on my cardio base but it is just simply not where it needs to be. I biked and 8:15 on Sunday with an average HR of 164 bpm for the 112 miles with a max of 189bpm. My power was also pretty low but my heart rate is really what holds me back. My question for all of you is what was your average heart rate on the bike of a 140.6 and has anyone else struggled with consistently high heart rates on the bike and had results lowering it? I just so badly want to not have to be that person that is constantly skirting cut offs and need to hear from others that have been there.

EDIT: It seems I did not add enough information to the this post originally. I am a 26 year old female. I do have HR zone they are as follows:

Your heart rate seems really high. But what it really says is a lack of fitness. How much do you bike per week? How much do you swim per week?

I weigh 135 and am 5'8". In the weeks before taper before IMWI I was riding 10ish hours a week and swimming around 10k yards a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What heart rate zone do you guys race in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
t1dtri wrote:
aerobike wrote:
t1dtri wrote:

I weigh 135 and am 5'8". In the weeks before taper before IMWI I was riding 10ish hours a week and swimming around 10k yards a week.

That's good. Now do that - 10 hr bike and 10k swim - every week for a year. Every week. And drop to 120ish lbs. Your heart rate will plummet at same effort, but more importantly you'll be much fitter, and I'm confident your bike times will be well below 6 hrs as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Avg. HR on the bike for a 140.6 [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5'8, 135 is already pretty lean. Not sure there is much to lose here without impacting performance. She needs the durability to survive the training and finish. Ryf does just fine at 5'8, 140.

FWIW, under 6 would be a top 5% bike split for her AG at IMWI. But agree with the general sentiment and overall direction. Seems like the base of fitness simply isn't there. If I were the OP, I wouldn't sign up for another ironman for 2 years and focus on consistency and building bike fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: Avg. HR on the bike for a 140.6 [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
5'8, 135 is already pretty lean. Not sure there is much to lose here without impacting performance. She needs the durability to survive the training and finish. Ryf does just fine at 5'8, 140.

FWIW, under 6 would be a top 5% bike split for her AG at IMWI. But agree with the general sentiment and overall direction. Seems like the base of fitness simply isn't there. If I were the OP, I wouldn't sign up for another ironman for 2 years and focus on consistency and building bike fitness.

Hardly. Daniela Ryf - 5'9, 125-128. And has put on an incredible amount of muscle. She's essentially all muscle now.

The OP losing weight I can assure you will not impact her performance negatively one iota. Will only help. Even if the OP is all muscle now, which I doubt. If she swims 10k and bike 10hrs per week every week for a year, and weighs 120ish, I am confident she will sub 6 hrs at IMWI
Last edited by: aerobike: Sep 13, 17 14:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
t1dtri wrote:

So for long and short rides my hr starts out low and then as the ride goes on slowly rises to what it was at IMWI. So for example, for the first hour my avg hr would normally be in the high 140s, the next hour it would be the low to mid 150's and so fourth and so on (this pattern happens even in a ride that is directly after a swim in training).

This screams lack of fitness, which is odd if you are biking 10 hours a week in your peak build. Are most of your rides "coffee rides" with little to no intensity? I can't believe you bike 10 hours a week at any level of intensity and still lack fitness but when your HR consistently rises like that it indicates a lack of fitness.

There is a TrainingPeaks metric called Pw:Hr. The goal is to have this be 5% or less. Do you upload your rides to TrainingPeaks? I'd be very interested to know what this value is for you. As you get more fit that Pw:Hr metric should continue to decrease.
Quote Reply
Re: Avg. HR on the bike for a 140.6 [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with badgertri, for most people, the HR decoupling as the ride gets longer indicates lack of fitness.

How hard was your race bike compared to your training? I would talk it over with your coach, but I suggest relying more on your PM for pacing than HR. In a race, I am aware of HR, but I focus on power. Than I use perceived exertion to determine which power number I should be aiming for based on how I feel on the day. My IM power is 10% lower than the power I ride for 4 hour hard training efforts...so around 230watts (6', 160 pounds)

I ride a 5:00bike split and despite my efforts to improve pacing, I still see a drop-off in my HR and power as I fatigue. (Run 3:30 off the bike so I'm not completely bonking but I am suffering hard!)
Quote Reply

Prev Next