Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Bike Tinkerer's Toolset [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
the biggie there is the workstand. but it's not prohibitive. the one i use is about $300 and i don't think you can spend any amount and get a workstand that's any better.

i'm sure i'm missing some necessary tools. happy to hear from all you garage experts what tools i've not listed (or perhaps what tool sets you think offer the best value when aggregating this list of tools i name).

This stand is not cheap, but well worth the coin, in my opinion.

https://www.parktool.com/...-3-2-2?category=Shop
Quote Reply
Re: The Bike Tinkerer's Toolset [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
what would you consider a good affordable portable workstand these days?
This is my aforementioned $20 DIY cheapy...
It doesn't need to be so tall - mine only is to clear the front mudguard of my commuter bike.

Quote Reply
Re: The Bike Tinkerer's Toolset [aj```] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aj``` wrote:
OK....read it now.
*whew*....a little better taste in my mouth now that my foot isn't planted in it.

I'll have to look again for cartridges. Last I checked, the ones that worked in my spritzer were a little more expensive because they're "food grade"
is there a link to the article? I couldn’t see it n
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i made an offhand comment a few days ago that i felt you could buy all the bike tools you need for $300. a number of readers asked for that list of tools. so i wrote it up and it's on the home page.

i priced the tools out and added it up and it came to $299 if i added it correctly in my head, and that was just a sheer coincidence. but, this list does not include:

- basic home tools (workbench, vise, screwdrivers, etc.)
- lubricants, sealants, adhesives, cleaners (tho these can be cheap, certainly $50 for the lot)
- consumables (rim strips, plastic tape, spokes, ferrules, housing, cable)
- bike workstand

the biggie there is the workstand. but it's not prohibitive. the one i use is about $300 and i don't think you can spend any amount and get a workstand that's any better.

i'm sure i'm missing some necessary tools. happy to hear from all you garage experts what tools i've not listed (or perhaps what tool sets you think offer the best value when aggregating this list of tools i name).

Dan, what would you consider a good affordable portable workstand these days? I have a Park PRS-5, but it won't fit my aero seatpost on the Tri/TT bike, so I'm sadly going to part with it. It's the best parts of my tool collection.

P.S. Not sure you got it, but sent you a pic from a ride with Jim W. :)

why won't the PRS-5 work for your bike? where are you clamping to on your bike?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Super D wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i made an offhand comment a few days ago that i felt you could buy all the bike tools you need for $300. a number of readers asked for that list of tools. so i wrote it up and it's on the home page.

i priced the tools out and added it up and it came to $299 if i added it correctly in my head, and that was just a sheer coincidence. but, this list does not include:

- basic home tools (workbench, vise, screwdrivers, etc.)
- lubricants, sealants, adhesives, cleaners (tho these can be cheap, certainly $50 for the lot)
- consumables (rim strips, plastic tape, spokes, ferrules, housing, cable)
- bike workstand

Dan, what would you consider a good affordable portable workstand these days? I have a Park PRS-5, but it won't fit my aero seatpost on the Tri/TT bike, so I'm sadly going to part with it. It's the best parts of my tool collection.

P.S. Not sure you got it, but sent you a pic from a ride with Jim W. :)

why won't the PRS-5 work for your bike? where are you clamping to on your bike?

It works on my road bike seatpost, also MTB, just not on the deep aero post on my Tri/TT bike. (Tried it wide open, aero post won't get full in at any angle, just too deep. This is just a limitation of the older clamp design, otherwise, just love this thing.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
Dan, what would you consider a good affordable portable workstand these days?
I just bought one of these for $150, and it is an incredible value. It is not Elite's aluminum version, but it does all the same stuff for 1/2 the cost. I highly recommend. Its only downside is its weight, but that is not a big deal for my needs.
https://www.performancebike.com/...e-work-stand-40-0626
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will the newer micro adjust park clamp fit in there? As a replacement?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Will the newer micro adjust park clamp fit in there? As a replacement?

Evidently there were two versions of my stand and mine is the one that isn’t able to be upgraded to the new clamp, joy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah. I ask because I thought I’d see if we have any trisports stuff around. What I DO have are very nice,professional, 2-bike stands. Not portable. But you’d have to live in SoCal, because I’m not shipping these.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not seeing the article on the front page.
I've got some passion for Swim/run top center article then under that Canyon and Drew then under that Ventum ad and Intense one interview.

Then a line and then under that a rehash of stuff from the last few days

Where's the article at?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: The Bike Tinkerer's Toolset [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Super D wrote:
Dan, what would you consider a good affordable portable workstand these days?
I just bought one of these for $150, and it is an incredible value. It is not Elite's aluminum version, but it does all the same stuff for 1/2 the cost. I highly recommend. Its only downside is its weight, but that is not a big deal for my needs.
https://www.performancebike.com/...e-work-stand-40-0626

Looks good! Interesting, does it pack down small for the car on race day? I typically like seatpost clamps so I can keep wheels on..
Quote Reply
Re: The Bike Tinkerer's Toolset [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I'm not seeing the article on the front page.
I've got some passion for Swim/run top center article then under that Canyon and Drew then under that Ventum ad and Intense one interview.

Then a line and then under that a rehash of stuff from the last few days

Where's the article at?

It was sometime back. I’ll dig it out. And I owe you a return email. Am in Michigan at the moment. Will answer in a couple of days.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is decently compact. Here is a picture of mine next to a 4' measuring stick for context.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
It is decently compact. Here is a picture of mine next to a 4' measuring stick for context.

Nice. Thanks for posting that pic.

I'd like to get another one which allows keeping the front wheel on; that's what I'm used to, so I wash, tune, adjust both brakes, etc without having to take parts off (unless it's really filthy in which case, I'll take both wheels off). The Park PRS-25 is the current version of my old one. And here's what looks like the equivalent from Elite: http://www.elite-it.com/...tands/workstand-team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know what you mean. I had one of the monster Park shop stands with a steel plate base. It was older, so the clamp would not safely clamp a modern carbon bike. And, it weighed so freakin' much that I never used it. So, I sold it last year thinking I would probably never need it. Then I got into bike build mode...

What I found is that none of the current economic clamp-based stands can safely hold a carbon tri bike. The clamps would need to open >4" wide for my bike's seat post, and that was unobtanium. Very few stands can secure a 3" aero seat post. So, I got a one-wheel-off version of a work stand. I really have no regrets. This style of stand is hugely popular in the pro realm. I built two bikes on it and it performed like a champ.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Mar 19, 18 7:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EDIT: deleted the majority of my post, I never referenced the original article because I am a total numpty.

But I will share this, which is by no means essential but is one of the handiest little doodahs I ever bought for a fiver.

- Morgan blue chain keeper.

Last edited by: knighty76: Mar 19, 18 6:07
Quote Reply

Prev Next