Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Six Gap Century -- Will it wreck my training for early November 70.3?
Quote | Reply
I am doing my first half iron race November 12th in Miami. However, I wouldn't mind doing the Six Gap Century in Northern Georgia in two weeks. It's 100 miles with over 11,000 ft of climbing. I've been putting in decent volume on the bike (rode 100 two weeks ago) and felt great. I'm following trainerroad's 70.3 plan, but obviously this kind of volume isn't even close to accounted for in the plan.

Would doing six gap destroy my race in November?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Six Gap Century -- Will it wreck my training for early November 70.3? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just take the week after easy with recovery rides and balance out the TSS scores for the week and you should be fine.

It's a gorgeous ride, challenging, and a ton of fun. I'll be there making my flat lander self hurt.
Quote Reply
Re: Six Gap Century -- Will it wreck my training for early November 70.3? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doubtful, unless you are so poorly trained that Six Gap destroys you. If on the other hand, the distance and gain from that event simply provide some over-reach from a well-established base, then it should be a great platform from which you can pursue shorter/faster sessions as you approach November.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did 6 gaps in the summer with 3 other friends. We went pretty easy for most of the day - yes I was glad to get off the bike, but I don't recall feeling overly fatigued the next day. It certainly wouldn't have impacted an upcoming race that far out. That being said, your base fitness right now is the big question. If you did a 100 mile ride a couple of weeks ago without any issue, then I can't see this having much more impact assuming you don't really kill yourself out there.

Just go and enjoy it - it's a great ride.

Nah, do it and love it. I did it last year. To the contrary, it will be a huge confidence builder for your November HIM. After riding for 6-7 hours and 11K feet of climbing, doing 56 miles in Miami will be mice nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: Six Gap Century -- Will it wreck my training for early November 70.3? [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did an FTP test this AM—334w/4.31 w/kg. I'm the most fit I've ever been. lol. I'll be fine then.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An FTP test (20mins?) has very little correlation with how well you handle a 5-6+ hr ride in the NoGa mountains. But to answer your original question:

No it will not wreck you unless you do something stupid. It is one of the best rides in the southeast, enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, you should be good. I did the skeenah loop from the high school on back to back Saturday and Sunday two weeks out before the 70.3 in Nooga this past weekend and had a pretty solid day. Granted I didn't go up hogpen, but would have felt comfortable riding six gap one of those days.
Quote Reply
Re: Six Gap Century -- Will it wreck my training for early November 70.3? [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not doing Hogpen is a pretty big caveat :)

Hogpen is one of 2 climbs I've ever done that make me question my life choices up to that point in time.
Quote Reply
Re: Six Gap Century -- Will it wreck my training for early November 70.3? [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I rode up it a fair bit this summer so I got a little used to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing six gap will help not hurt. Doing big volume a month out is perfect training for a 70.3. Just make sure you take it easy for 2-3 days after. Don't take those days completely off, but day after should be recovery only -- no pushing at all, and two days after should be pretty easy too. Only go hard again once you feel good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should not be any problem whatsoever. You don't have to go full steam on it. Furthermore, in my opinion it would be a mistake to pass on an opportunity to ride 6-Gap. Skip the iron man if you are unable to handle two rides.
Quote Reply