Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do my PadY/X values make sense?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at finally making the step from a standard road bike adapted for no-drafting triathlon races (with aero extensions and forward pointing seat post) to a proper triathlon/TT bike.
But the padY/X I have measured on my setup look weird and out of the charts in the sizing charts used by manufacturer and also out of the good area in the "what is PadY/X" article on this site.

I'm 182cm and I've pretty long legs for a male (saddle height is 82cm).
My measured PadY/X is 69 and 48.

I'm wondering if I have to look for a TT bike that allows these values or, since they are taken on a road bike, they are "wrong" and should expect my stack to get lower on a TT bike.

Thanks
Last edited by: simonech: Sep 13, 17 5:55
Quote Reply
Re: Do my PadY/X values make sense? [simonech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 things. first, my math, that is used to power diamondback's calculator, has you at closer to 650mm x 480mm.

second, i would take a very close look at how you measure saddle height, and whether you are truly using a proper saddle height. you are just a tad under six feet tall, yes? and you're riding a saddle 82cm from the BB center to the top of the saddle, 4cm behind the saddle's nose? i don't believe this. either you're measuring bad or you're riding a saddle too tall. or you had a tibia extension as a child.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Do my PadY/X values make sense? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

second, i would take a very close look at how you measure saddle height, and whether you are truly using a proper saddle height. you are just a tad under six feet tall, yes? and you're riding a saddle 82cm from the BB center to the top of the saddle, 4cm behind the saddle's nose? i don't believe this. either you're measuring bad or you're riding a saddle too tall. or you had a tibia extension as a child.

Thanks for the answer.
Yeah i guess 182 is something between 5'11" and 6'... I'm from Belgium... so never used imperial system :)
Saddle position is correct... checked with many bike fits.
Measurement might be wrong
That value come out from a Retul measurement sheet, and checked manually is from BB to middle of saddle (saddle is 28cm long, I take the measure at 14cm from nose.. that's what my fit guy does). Probably measuring 4cm from nose would give a shorter saddle height.
Using this procedure, in road configuration I have around 81cm, with tri I have 82cm

Simone
Last edited by: simonech: Sep 13, 17 6:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds very high.. I'm at 77-78cm saddle height, I'm 184cm and on 172,5/170mm cranks.
Last edited by: hhetland: Sep 13, 17 6:32
Quote Reply
Re: Do my PadY/X values make sense? [hhetland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw you also answered on my question about the Ridley Dean Fast... which size are you on that one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
simonech wrote:
I saw you also answered on my question about the Ridley Dean Fast... which size are you on that one?

I'm on a small frame. Currently setup;
Pad X = 500mm
Pad Y = 630mm
Saddle height = 66,5-67cm

The bike's got a 175mm crank which I think I'm going to replace as I'm a little compressed on the top of the pedalstroke.. Thinking about 170mm.

Dan's diamondback calculator have me at 639 x 490mm. From my first ride, I felt the need to have the pads a little further back so I think Dan's calculator is pretty spot on!
Last edited by: hhetland: Sep 13, 17 6:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hhetland wrote:
simonech wrote:

I'm on a small frame. Currently setup;
Pad X = 500mm
Pad Y = 630mm
Saddle height = 66,5-67cm

The bike's got a 175mm crank which I think I'm going to replace as I'm a little compressed on the top of the pedalstroke.. Thinking about 170mm.

Dan's diamondback calculator have me at 639 x 490mm. From my first ride, I felt the need to have the pads a little further back so I think Dan's calculator is pretty spot on!

Ok, thx...
I guess you meant Saddle height = 77cm... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
2 things. first, my math, that is used to power diamondback's calculator, has you at closer to 650mm x 480mm.

How did you come out with this?
I just used the DB calculator.
If I put 182 of height and 82 of saddle height I get 625mm X: 476mm
If I put 182 of height and 90 of inseam I get 627mm X: 479mm

Thx
Simone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
simonech wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Thx
Simone

Found your photo. ;-)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes.. sorry =) on the P3 (56 size) with 170mm cranks I had 797mm saddle height from a retul fit. My inseam is aprox. 830mm if that helps you anything..
Last edited by: hhetland: Sep 13, 17 7:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My inseam is 89cm :)
Quote Reply
Re: Do my PadY/X values make sense? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Found your photo. ;-)

Actually, that's my photo on road setup

And here on TT setup (sorry cannot find pics from the side)

Last edited by: simonech: Sep 13, 17 7:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
simonech wrote:
Slowman wrote:

my raw math says 652/479

i'm checking with diamondback to see how they're getting 625/476

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i checked with diamondback's developers. there is a glitch in one equation. they're fixing it. suffice it to say, here are what the calculator says your pad-center Y and X should be based on your seat and overall height:

Pad Y = 650mm
Pad X = 480mm

with, of course, every caveat attached that i attach to the use of this calculator/prescriber.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool... thx for checking.
I'll double check my saddle height...

what do you think by looking at the pics (if you can see anything in there)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

I measured my saddle height taking the measure 4cm behind saddle's nose, and I got 2cm less, so around 80cm... does that make more sense?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
simonech wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I measured my saddle height taking the measure 4cm behind saddle's nose, and I got 2cm less, so around 80cm... does that make more sense?

it slots you more inside the realm of normalcy. the numbers are now: 647/484, bearing in mind that it's MUCH better for you to have gotten an actual in-person dynamic fit. but that's the numbers the calculator generates for a saddle height of 800mm

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
it slots you more inside the realm of normalcy. the numbers are now: 647/484, bearing in mind that it's MUCH better for you to have gotten an actual in-person dynamic fit. but that's the numbers the calculator generates for a saddle height of 800mm

Yeah, I know... but I did it on my road bike and I cannot go lower than I am :)

Thx
Quote Reply