Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any issues with wide wheels on Cannondale Slice?
Quote | Reply
I have the current generation Slice and am considering getting some aero wheels for it. I am pretty sure that I heard or read somewhere this frame was made for a max tire size of 25c. My concern is that with many of the very wide wheels out there now they make the tire profile larger; I often read about people measuring 25c tires as 26 or 27mm when mounted to the modernly wider wheels.

Has anyone ran into any issues with using 25 or 26mm external width wheels on a Cannondale slice?

Do you have to run 23c tires to account for the fact that the tire physically measures larger on the wider wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Any issues with wide wheels on Cannondale Slice? [yoman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yoman wrote:
I have the current generation Slice and am considering getting some aero wheels for it. I am pretty sure that I heard or read somewhere this frame was made for a max tire size of 25c. My concern is that with many of the very wide wheels out there now they make the tire profile larger; I often read about people measuring 25c tires as 26 or 27mm when mounted to the modernly wider wheels.

Has anyone ran into any issues with using 25 or 26mm external width wheels on a Cannondale slice?

Do you have to run 23c tires to account for the fact that the tire physically measures larger on the wider wheels?

Not sure what 'current' Slice you are referring to...but I have an older 2013 Slice as a training bike, and my wide Flo disc fits just fine with a 23 Michelin Service Course (measures 25 mm) with room to spare.
For me, the 23 Michelin tire for that disc is just perfect, width-wise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to current year, but from my last slice I know:

2014 Slice + 2011 HED Jets + 25C 4000IIS = tire rubbing on the frame when there was weight on the bike.
Last edited by: captain-tri: Sep 12, 17 22:24
Quote Reply
Re: Any issues with wide wheels on Cannondale Slice? [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:
I can't speak to current year, but from my last slice I know:

2014 Slice + 2011 HED Jets + 25C 4000IIS = tire rubbing on the frame when there was weight on the bike.

Were you able to solve this with smaller tires or were you not able to get HED jet + to work?

And I am talking about a 2016 or 2017 model year Slice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, can't help on the newer model, but for others, I have the 2009-2013 older model and have been able to put up to 32mm tires on that bike. It barely clears the brakes and chainstays and surprisingly there is room in the cutout! Riding those at 60 psi is awesome for training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a new Slice and have FLO wheels with 25mm tires and have plenty of clearance on the frame and brakes. I had to adjust the brakes much wider to accommodate the wheel, but no issues and could probably go even wider. I've never had any rubbing.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I solved it with 23C tires, but like I said, the 2014 frame. Sounds like others with the newer frame have chimed in with more helpful info than I had.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yoman wrote:

No rubbing issues for us with the current generation.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply