Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DOMS - Run on or rest.
Quote | Reply
Long run on Sunday included a net drop of 200m over 2.5km. Sore quads and calfs since.

Should I run or rest? On the tail end of a volume build phase set to end Saturday (weeks holiday with very little anticipated running). Should I run through the pain and wait for rest, or rest now?
Quote Reply
Re: DOMS - Run on or rest. [LukeIzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
riding the bike on the trainer is a good option to flush the legs out, nice steady reasonable efforts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VERY easy trail run of short duration or a swim. Blood flow is your friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LukeIzard wrote:
Long run on Sunday included a net drop of 200m over 2.5km. Sore quads and calfs since.

Should I run or rest? On the tail end of a volume build phase set to end Saturday (weeks holiday with very little anticipated running). Should I run through the pain and wait for rest, or rest now?

I run about 1000 feet of hills on my longs runs 3 days a week. No issues which is one reason I run lots of hills. Maybe your coach needs to get you running hills a little more? :) Powercranks help also. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, in my case I've never noticed that anything made any difference. Sometimes I've rested completely, sometimes trained lightly, sometimes (one time) gone for a 39km run... Severe DOMS always seem to last 5 days no matter what.
Quote Reply
Re: DOMS - Run on or rest. [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I was never quite sure if it was a lactate build up or breakdown of muscle`
I'll soldier on!
Quote Reply
Re: DOMS - Run on or rest. [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
For what it's worth, in my case I've never noticed that anything made any difference.

Agree. Time is the only thing that makes it better for me. I did a 25k trail race with about 1750ft or gain and loss this past Saturday. The downhills were very runnable and I was really able to bomb them. My quads were toast by the end. I know from experience it's going to be 3-4 days no matter what I do before I'm feeling better. Sure enough, yesterday (Tuesday) I'm starting to feel it less and less by the evening. Now on Wednesday morning I feel fine.
Quote Reply
Re: DOMS - Run on or rest. [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully only one more day of misery for me then. :P
Quote Reply
Re: DOMS - Run on or rest. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimming always seems to help DOMS for me--even arm/back/core soreness.
Quote Reply
Re: DOMS - Run on or rest. [freightrain121] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just recommended standing in the sea. Not the first time someone has suggested it for muscle soreness!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only time I have this issue now is if I do way more than my body is used to.

After my LC Tri race running 18 miles on the road, my legs were trashed for days. I had zero training for these conditions and paid the price.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LukeIzard wrote:
I was just recommended standing in the sea. Not the first time someone has suggested it for muscle soreness!

Super secret.....

Last IM, I went get some drink food and then stood in the 55 F ocean immersed up to my hips for 15-20min. Got out, took a shower, put on compression socks that I kept on for the following night and day.
4 days later I was able to walk down stairs facing forward again.

Two years ago, similar training, same race, but neither ice-bath nor compression.
I wasn't able to properly walk down stairs for over a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grab those things between your legs and work out. Use this experience to train your heart, not your legs or lungs.
Quote Reply
Re: DOMS - Run on or rest. [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
riding the bike on the trainer is a good option to flush the legs out, nice steady reasonable efforts

^^^^This.

Miderate effort, no impact. Getting some blood flow and motion helps.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply